Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid mistake...maybe

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 01:54 AM
notnutts
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stupid mistake...maybe

Hello all. I'm a pretty new rider, and I had some work done on my bike here in Korea (primary seal leak, timing chain tensioner, tires). I had them do a fluid change while they were at it. I gave them 3 quarts of oil, as thats what the book says on my 05 Lowrider. However, when I got her home, the oil didn't register on the stick. I thought maybe they shorted me, but I realized I have an aftermarket oil cooler--pretty sure this adds a quart to the total. So I add a quart and ride around the block (cold day, about 45F), and the stick registers WAY overfull. Am I loosing my mind?The only thing I can come up with is these two options:
1) The oil was so clean I mis-read it the first time
2) I need to get the engine hotter (thermostat on oil cooler?)

Help me out! Also, what can I screw up riding overfull?

Old 12-04-2011, 02:32 AM
MikeSz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar experience once. Oil didnt register on stick so I put in a quart. Ran it for awhile. Then, it was way over full! No damage occurred, but I felt better after getting the excess oil out. I bought a suction gun to remove some oil. Even the dealer overfilled it a couple of times. Motor was okay. Just try to avoid overfilling as I think it can get forced out and make a mess of your air cleaner. I have noticed that the oil level varies from day to day when it is checked cold. Check it hot for accuracy.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:44 AM
carltex
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No harm if you get the excess out. The oil cooler obviously didn't add a whole quart to the system, maybe half quart. Just keep track for next time. Write it down in the manual so you'll remember.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:08 AM
notnutts
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's nothing in the cooler to keep the oil from circulating in when it's cold, is there?

Old 12-04-2011, 04:24 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by notnutts
There's nothing in the cooler to keep the oil from circulating in when it's cold, is there?
not unless there is a thermostat. I always make sure my oil level reads somewhere around 1/2 on the stick after servicing & I check it again when hot.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:40 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,815 Likes on 3,170 Posts

OK first off, the oil in the cooler doesn't change the oil needed for changes because the oil in the cooler stays there during changes.

Secondly, did you wait for the bike to cool down prior to checking it? If so, the oil in the engine pooled in the crankcase. Oil on it's way back to the sump didn't make it there when you shut it off.

When you checked the level when cold you got a false reading, so always check the oil when hot.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:59 AM
chappy99
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 (stiggy) good advice.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:18 AM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You probably didn't hurt anything. You would most likely have gotten some warning if the oil level was excessively low. The lifters raising hell is usually an early sign that the engine is being starved of oil.

As others have suggested, you need to get the excess oil out of there. Not to insult you but since you say you're a new rider, I'll assume you don't know a great deal about the bike yet. As someone already suggested, always check oil level with the oil at normal operating temperature. And, check it with the bike on the kickstand or with the bike upright based on the instructions in the owner's manual. If you don't have an owner's manual, it's based on the type of dipstick you have. If the oil dipstick is straight, you check the oil level with the bike upright. If the oil dipstick is hinged (i.e. flops over when you pull it out - no comments from the peanut gallery please) then you check the oil level with the bike on the kickstand. Sorry, can't remember what type of dipstick the '05 Lowrider has.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:27 AM
art0565
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

+2 on Stiggy's advice, i've done it my self, got the excess out, no harm was done

Old 12-04-2011, 08:07 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

If the shop put 3 full quarts in, you were overfull from the get go.

A wet oil change takes about 2.5 quarts, not the full 3.

You most likely checked the level cold at your house and like the other dude said got a false low reading.

Quick Reply: Stupid mistake...maybe