Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock in Primary area?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005 | 11:54 PM
GulfWarVet
|
Intermediate
Default Knock in Primary area?

Hello All. I recently did a complete change of lubricants from the oil, the filter to the primary chaincase using the recommended specifications in the OEM Manual. All went well until i reached the primary chaincase. i noticed there was next to nothing that came out of the plug. The clour wasn't orange or anything and appeared to look like straight engine oil. Anyhow...
Just before the lubricant change I noticed a "ticking" sound, which caused me to do a complete change again. i should point out I've been changing everything at 500 kilometre intervals and my bike is a 2005 Dyna Glide.
At any rate, I topped up the primary chaincase and now the ticking is gone but replaced by a knocking sound. Sounds like something is loose. Not a grinding sound or anything, just an annoying knocking sound. The sound disappears when i rev it up slightly or have it idle higher than normal. She doesn't slip gears and once on the road runs fine with the occasional knocking sound coming into play here and there.

I have an appointment on Thursday at the dealer an hour away on the highway. Although this bike is new with only 1300 kilometres on her, i don't want to take a change and void my warranty should I end up causing serious damage while on the way to the shop. The technician in town told me not to sweat it as long as the lubes are topped up I'll be fine.
Anyone have any idea(s) what's causing this?

While I'm at it, I noticed a few threads here discussing resetting the jet to prevent the sputtering and cough. I too have this problem. The only thing that seems to work is to ride with the enrichner slightly pulled out, but I know this isn't the best practice to use. Again, any suggestions would be great. Oh...will the mechanic at the dealership i'm heading to on thursday rejet that for me or is it against the EPA to do so? Perhaps if I slip him a $20 and walk away?

Any and all help, tips, suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

GWV

Old 07-19-2005 | 11:57 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: Knock in Primary area?

If I understand you correctly the knocking sound is coming from the primary. If so, your chain is probably too loose. Take the cover off and see. If loose, (more than 7/8") loosen bolt and tighten the chain up by lifting the block, and retighten.

Do you have a manual?

Old 07-20-2005 | 12:54 AM
GulfWarVet
|
Intermediate

Thanks for the prompt reply! I do have the OEM Manual. Is this something I can take on myself? I'm not a complete idiot around a wench (for the most part..LOL) so if it's not too complicated I'll take a stab at it for sure. Afterall, the way I see it, if I'm going to own a legendary bike, I best know how to use a wrench while growing old with it. I'm one of those guys that wants to get their hands dirty and understand why and how things work. So taking on this "adjustment" is something I'd be interested in doing. As long as whatever I do doesn't void the warranty on the bike. For what it's worth, I took the 7 year warranty. It'll certainly save me the hassle of driving an hour on the highway in what's supposed to be a pouring rainy day. Not that I'm made out of sugar or anything, but these parts the rain covers the many potholes on the terrible roads.

I'm up for it. By all means if you have the time, I'm all ears and certainly appreciative.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-20-2005 | 08:27 AM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member

You working on your own bike will not void the warrenty. I asked if you had a manual only for the reason that you need the torque numbers. That adjuster is tight, and has to be torqued down right. It's really easy, and the manual lays it out clearly, so I won't repeat it. FYI you should check your chain tension every time you change your fluids. I change my oil, primary and tranny at about 4,000 kms intervals, and always do all three at the same time.

Old 07-20-2005 | 10:13 AM
HDF Tech
Banned

Luc

With the miles you have on the bike, more than likely Joe hit it on the head about the chain. It could also be a compensator sprocket coming loose as this is a common happening also. I'm sure the dealer will take care of it.

If you want to do the jetting yourself, there's info in the do it yourself forum, it's not a difficult thing to do, and if you run into problems with it, we be here!

https://www.hdforums.com/m_65123/tm.htm

https://www.hdforums.com/m_68715/tm.htm

Old 07-20-2005 | 11:42 AM
GulfWarVet
|
Intermediate

Thank you both Joe and TCSTD! I can already see this forum is going to save me tons of grief in the future.

I was just in the local Sears yesterday and I knew I forgot something! I meant to get a set of torque tools! I'll just borrow my neighbours set for now I suppose.

It's not the nicest day out here today so I'll more than likely give it a shot in regards to the tips you recommended to me.

Many thanks again and I'll keep you all updated on the outcome.

GWV

Old 07-20-2005 | 02:21 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

LUC

Check out the do it yourself forums on the main page for some info that may come in usefull to you.

Old 07-20-2005 | 04:40 PM
GulfWarVet
|
Intermediate

Gentlemen; Well I took everything apart and the chain is quite loose inside there afterall. Man I'm glad I registered here! LOL

I'm just waiting on my neighbour to get home so I could borrow his torque wrench to ensure a safe and proper adjustment is done.

Now this may sound quite "cheap" of me, but I figured what the hell, I'll throw it out there and see what you all think about my "cheap" route.

Seeing how not even a week ago I changed all the lubricants/oils, I filtered/strained out the primary chain lubricant through a paint filter and into a clean bucket. I did pick up a new bottle of primary chain lubricant as well. I'm wondering if I should re-use the lubricant I just drained, (It is pretty dark) or should I quit being so damned cheap and replace the lubricant with the new stuff? LOL

I have browsed the "Do-It-Yourself" section and you are right, there's tons of useful information in there for sure!

Thank you gentlemen...you may have all saved me a hour (one way) drive into town by taking my by the hand to do this job the right way the first time.

While I'm here..just as well throw out this question.....What would "void" my warranty? I don't want to run to the garage everytime she hiccups and would rather learn the tricks of the trade myself. Short of dissambling the engine, what would void the warranty?

Thanks again...you guys are great!

GWV

Old 07-20-2005 | 05:13 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

1 Use new primary oil, it's cheap enough
2 What would void your warrantee would be a modification to a system that fails and you look for a warrantee to be intact. They cant void your warrantee for lets say installing mufflers if your oil pumps goes bag, they have to cover the oil pump regardless, this is a dealer thing, They try every way to make you bring it to them for everything, if they try to void your warrantee , ask them to put it in writing why

Take a look at the magnusen moss act in the DIY section.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_76699/tm.htm

Old 07-20-2005 | 06:57 PM
GulfWarVet
|
Intermediate

I'm back...You're right, I shouldn't be "that" cheap to keep the old lubricant.

I took it all apart and the measurement appear to be in line with the manual. Now I'm stumped. So...either I'm really stunned, or I need to pick up a Mensa Society application...but....from what distance do i measure the play in the primary chain? I'm measuring from the shoe upwards. Is this right? If so, then I guess my other alternative option and solution would point me towards the sprocket?

Thank you gentlemen.

GWV

Quick Reply: Knock in Primary area?