Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock in Primary area?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005 | 09:29 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Default RE: Knock in Primary area?

Measure the top run of chain in the middle and you can even rotate it to measure it at a few different places, there's usually tight and loose places on most chains. There's also 2 dimentions for hot or cold, 5/8hot and 7/8 cold. Just measure the lift of the chain here. Did you inspect the entire chain for any obvious problems?

Didn't mean you were cheap, meant the oil is cheap enough to buy!

Old 07-20-2005 | 10:09 PM
GulfWarVet
|
Intermediate

I didn't take your post as meaning I was cheap, I was poking fun at myself.

I put everything back together and went for a ride and that same noise is still present so I'm even more convinced you are right and it is a question of the chain needing adjustment. Especially now that I have physically seen the area etc, it has to be that.

The chain appeared to be fine upon inspection. I have an early appointment in the morning at the service centre for them to inspect a peck in my clear coat on the gas tank which I'll drop off to be buffed out at the end of this year's riding season, and to get that "noise" checked out. At least if anything I'll know exactly tomorrow.

I was going to remove the entire case to have a better look but according to the manual it said I needed to replace the gasket after opening it...and since I had no gaskets sitting aound, I figured I'd best leave it alone.

All this to say I'm sure it's still the chain that needs adjustment according to your diagnosis. At least I'll get out for a decent ride tomorrow and since the whales are in, I'll ride along the coast and check out the whales while en route to the dealer.

Will keep you all posted and thanks again for all the help...very, very much appreciated.

GWV

Old 07-21-2005 | 12:58 AM
HDF Tech
Banned

Any time,

those primary gaskets by the way are usually reusable at least 2 -3 times without leaks as long as you torque them properly

Old 07-21-2005 | 07:54 AM
GulfWarVet
|
Intermediate

Thanks. I had a feeling they'd (gaskets) would be re-usable seeing how they still looked pretty good, but my luck and all, I didn't want to take a chance. At least now i know for the future.

Just waking up to head into town. Will pick up a torque wrench while I'm there. I never thought of it, but I hope they have my bike back on the road today otherwise I'm stranded out there until it is! LOL

Off to the city I go...My God, I sound like I'm really in some backwoods, hick place??? Well, I'm not that far off! LOL

Take care gentlemen, thanks again, and will post a summary once I return.

GWV

Old 07-21-2005 | 03:29 PM
GulfWarVet
|
Intermediate

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

You were right...it was in fact the chain that had become loosened and needed tightening. I feel like I've just been molested by the dealership/service centre out here though as i had to pay $250.00!!! They said I needed the 1600 kilometre "service & inspection" and as such, replaced all the fluids, oilds, lubricants and filters. i told them this was done not even 2 weeks ago and has been done every 500 kilometers since owning the bike. Still had to pay. This is what i don't get...I also have the extended service/warranty plan...why did I still have to pay so much?

Anyhow...thank you again for your help in pinpointing the problem and after the experience today, I believe I'll be wrenching my bike much more frequently rather than pay a staggering "inspection" fee.

GWV

DAMN! I friggin forgot the torque tools again!

Old 07-21-2005 | 07:33 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

If you didn't authorize it , I'll be darned if I would pay! If they will not refund your money, tell them you want them to give you a credit or to replace the oils that you used.

Old 07-21-2005 | 08:11 PM
GulfWarVet
|
Intermediate

I guess I really didn't have much of a choice once I was there and the bike already being worked on. He told me that I needed the 1600 km's (1000 miles) "Maintenance" as per OEM Manual and factory recommendation and therefore this was not, nor did it fall under any "service" plan and had to be paid out of my pockets. I'm still going to look into it as per my "extended service" card and the accompanying paperwork. Someone also told me that since it's a new bike and new bike owners automatically get a year H.O.G. membership, if anything I should've received a discount of sorts. I'm going to follow up on this as the last thing I expected was a $250.00 bill today!

The only "service" they did was exactly what I have done and discussed with you all in here already, with the exception they replaced an O-ring and tightened the primary chain.

Will keep you updated and thanks for the feedback, assistance and prompt replies to my questions/problems.

GWV

Old 07-22-2005 | 04:43 AM
DeltaWolf
Cruiser

I was told that H.O.G. members get 10% off parts.
The 1-k service is a long list of lube, inspect, adjust
& tighten. A lot more than a simple oil change.
Most of the cost is labor charge, at least 2 hours.
I checked with 2 HD dealers in 120 miles for the
1-k service and one wanted $319, the other wanted
$265. I found my own machanic that owns his own
speed shop and he is an authorized Harley machanic.
He did everything on the Harley list and more for $185.
He know's his stuff and I trust him more than HD dealers.

Old 07-22-2005 | 04:48 AM
DeltaWolf
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: GulfWarVet
GWV
You forgot to say if it stopped the knocking sound
in the primary chain case or not ???

Old 07-22-2005 | 05:08 PM
GulfWarVet
|
Intermediate

Ooops...yes, the knocking did stop and it was in fact the primary chain that had loosened as per the boys here knowledge. The mechanic said the chjain was "extremely loose" but I guess i didn't measure it properly as it looked alright to me. At any rate, the noise is gone so I'm a happy biker. They also "re-jetted" the carb for "free" since it was my first visit to this garage.

Just got in from a ride and she ran great..idled great and absolutely no noise...well, that's a lie, she is a Harley and not likely I can "sneak up" on anyone riding a Harley now can I? LOL

Off topic....I just went to the spot where i normally see a few pods of whales. This time i brought my camera to snap some pics of them and wouldn't you know it none were there! I didn't even see a minnow for that matter! LOL

I also heard I should have received a discount. Oh well, a few folks have also told me what you said about it not being a simple oil change and a complete inspection so i guess I can suck it up this time. LOL

Thanks everyone.
GWV