Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

colored spokes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 10:08 AM
MIKEKIM
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default colored spokes?

Okay, since I had some free time, my mind was wandering off (I have been accused of losing my mind on occasion,lol) and I was thinking what my wide glide would look like with orange spokes.
I was thinking of different methods to achieve this from painting ( I told you my mind wanders), to shrink tubing to changing them out.

I read the post on here about changing to a 21" rim and re-lacing and I think what I would rather do is buy the orange spokes and re-lace them up. I figured I would just do the front for now.

A couple of questions to those that may know since I know nada, zilch, zero about spokes and re-lacing.

1. Is there anything I need to know about what type of spokes to use? I mean like powder coated versus anodized, or what type of metal used?

2. I can re-lace the rim myself with the earlier mentions post but what type of company should I contact about truing the rim?

3. If I decide to do the back wheel at the same time, how hard is it to remove and install myself? or should I leave this up to the shop?

I decided to go the colored spoke route over the shrink tubing because I would have to remove the nipple anyhow to get the tubing on.

One last question, what are your thoughts about the shrink tubing route if I were to remove one nipple and put the tubing on and re tighten it back down? could I theoretically do all the spokes? or is this just crazy talk?

Thanks,

Attached Thumbnails colored spokes?-orange-spokes.jpg  
Old 11-18-2011, 10:15 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Do both at the same time or it will look strange is my opinion. I run red spokes on my ride. See them here.

Drew

Old 11-18-2011, 10:35 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member

@ QUESTION 3:

REMOVING AND INSTALLING THE BACK RIM IS WAY EASIER THAN LACING WHEELS, SO IF YOUR CONFIDENT YOU CAN LACE, THEN THERE IS NO QUESTION YOU CAN REMOVED YOUR REAR WHEEL FROM THE BIKE

http://www.buchananspokes.net/

CHECK OUT THIS SITE, I'VE HEARD HORROR STORIES ABOUT RIM LACING, SO WHEN I GO TO CHANGE OUT MY RIMS, IM GOING WITH THESE GUYS. I WANT BLACK RIMS, SO I WILL JUST CUT MY SPOKES, AND SEND THE HUBS TO BUCHANAN FOR THEM TO LACE AND TRUE. THEN I WILL HAVE MY HD DEALER MOUNT THE TIRES

OR CONTACT JOE THE POWDER PRO (JRK####, SITE SPONSOR) ABOUT POWDERING YOUR STOCK SPOKES, I SEEM TO REMEMBER HE WOULD LACE AND TRUE FOR ADDED COST(MAYBE IM DREAMING HERE).

Last edited by shimmon; 11-18-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Stag556
Road Master

I think black hoop with black spokes would look awesome.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:39 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

we coat and lace spokes all the time! here are soem we have done, any questions just let me know

Old 11-18-2011, 01:03 PM
MIKEKIM
Cruiser

So Joe, what all do you need from me to powder coat the spokes orange? you need the tires off the rims?

Best case scenario would be from me to send you the tires, and get them back and be able to install them and ride but I do not know if that is even possible.

What would be cool is orange spokes with an orange ring on the rim too

Old 11-18-2011, 01:04 PM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jrk5892
we coat and lace spokes all the time! Here are soem we have done, any questions just let me know

guess i wasnt dreamin'!!! Man, colored spokes look real good. Anything close to crimson red denim?

Old 11-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Stag556
Road Master

Originally Posted by JRK5892
we coat and lace spokes all the time! here are soem we have done, any questions just let me know

Those black spokes look amazing!!