Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY lay down plate

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 01:28 PM
XjldX
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DIY lay down plate

Hey, thought I'd share my latest cheapskate mod...

I like the look of lay down plates, but think they are a bit over priced for what they are, and since Washington State makes me fork over money for a new plate every few years, I figure I may as well put the old plate to good use.

I took the old plate, used a hammer to flatten out the numbers/letters in the center of the plate, lined up the stock plate mount from my FXD, marked the holes, drilled them, put some thick cloth tape over the center of the old plate (the part that will be in contact with the rear fender), curved the old plate, new plate, and frame as close to the shape of the rear fender over my knee, then I mounted the old plate directly to the fender using the stock mounting nuts and bolts. Then I just mounted the new plate and frame to the old plate and voila... I got myself a lay down plate, saved myself a bunch of money, and I guess I did the "green" thing because now my old plate won't be sitting in some landfill or collecting dust on one of my shelves anymore.

I can't post pics from my cell phone, so I'll try to get some posted tonight when I get home from work.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:41 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Clever cheapskate.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:21 AM
XjldX
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a pic of how it turned out.

Attached Thumbnails DIY lay down plate-photo-2-.jpg