Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoyed with Harley

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 11:00 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by emerican19
Yeah I've seen that. Kind of on the fence, Everyone says they scratch the fender or the chrome and it's just as annoying to do the bolts on and off each time the wife wants to ride. I'm considering it though because I've been checking ebay and the forums and those sideplates are just way too pricey.
I can imagine scratched could easily happen but they could easily be avoided as well. I read a tip on installing a fender where you put a manilla folder between the fender and the struts to avoid scratching the paint, could do that with this mod too. Found the thread, I would have cut the front holes differently like someone else had posted.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ar-plates.html

Old 11-08-2011, 06:21 AM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another option would be to ditch the sissy bar set-up all together and use a backrest from Haulen ***. http://www.haulenass.com/product/HA-BRFXD-P-P1 I have one for the rare occasion that my wife rides with me. It's on and off as easy as changing seats and leaves nothing behind when it's removed.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:49 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I know it's a money maker but i hate hate HATE how if you want to change one thing you have to buy 6 different accessories.

All I want to do is have a single seat on my Street Bob for the majority of the time, but the OL goes for rides here and there. I've got rigid mount sideplates so it's a hassle to bolt and unbolt the thing all the time so I'm suckered into quick detach sideplates.

But then I need new quick detach hardware.

Then the stupid turn signals have to move too if I go that route. Now I have to research and spend more money on wtf I'm doing with rear signal relocation. Great Bike Gear license plate mount? Rivco? Kuryakan? Do I get the touring light bar? While I'm at it should I just scrap the signals and go integrated? Panacea? D2moto?

God damn...all this to take the stupid seat off.

I hate you Harley. I love you Harley.
A lot of folks will get the rear lightbar from a roadking and relocate the signals to the license plate. I've seen this mod in person and it doesn't look bad at all. The following image, I think, is from Kuryakyn:

It looks really good installed.

Why do you need to remove the rigid sideplates to install different seats, other than going from two-up to solo where the backrest with a solo seat looks silly.

True the detachable setup is expensive but you can still use the backrest/pad. All you need is the docking points and the detach sideplates. You can usually find that stuff for sale in the hdf classifieds and/or ebay at a reduced cost. I got mine from Zanotti's. Just know the part number's you need.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:01 AM
TGWN
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem I see is you have options and not a cookie cutter bike. I kind of like that.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:19 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nkauf21
Another option would be to ditch the sissy bar set-up all together and use a backrest from Haulen ***. http://www.haulenass.com/product/HA-BRFXD-P-P1 I have one for the rare occasion that my wife rides with me. It's on and off as easy as changing seats and leaves nothing behind when it's removed.
this is what I was gonna say. It is a great backrest and you simply bolt down to the seat nuts. My wife has been using this for a few years. Another option for the OP is to get a better looking seat like a danny grey weekday 2up, C&C, Mustang tripper, corbin gambler, lepera daytona. Something easily more comfortable than the stock crap seats and not near as thick and ugly.
Also, I though with your year bike the signals stay in the same location and you get a new stalk for them to mount on with the detachable hardware kit.

Last edited by rounder; 11-08-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Dynaglide68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not a Money Maker anymore in today's market ..........

Old 11-08-2011, 09:19 AM
MXerwithaBob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can find the HD detatch stuff on ebay for less money, that's what I did. You can hardly notice the QD hardware that's left on the bike. I agree with the others that say invest in a better seat, I run the mustang vintage solo and vintage pillion, the OL loves the seat.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Gringoloco13
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ackman1968
Worst part is the turn signals look like **** with the "relocation" kit installed.
+1 the relocation kit without bags installed will look out of place. To the OP why not just get a comfortable two up seat for when you and the wife ride and that compliments the sissy bar in the back for when you are just on it? Wanting to just rock a solo seat with a sissy bar I will agree looks strange. But installing a detach sissy bar requires the rear signals to be relocated. But relocating the signals with the harley relo kit and no bags will look just as out of place to me as a solo seat and sissy bar on the bike. So my suggestion would be to get the quick detach sissy bar installed, eliminate the turn signals and go with a integrated brake/turn signal rear light.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:56 AM
emerican19
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for some ideas guys. I wasn't aware that I could leave the stock turn signals with quick detach hardware. Is that true? I still might go for the notching and if it's crappy jump ship to a QD set up.

I've been eyeing that D2moto tail light too, but I hear mixed reviews. Some say "OMG it's 5 times brighter than stock" and others say its dim and breaks in 3 months.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:30 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for some ideas guys. I wasn't aware that I could leave the stock turn signals with quick detach hardware. Is that true? I still might go for the notching and if it's crappy jump ship to a QD set up.

I've been eyeing that D2moto tail light too, but I hear mixed reviews. Some say "OMG it's 5 times brighter than stock" and others say its dim and breaks in 3 months.
I notched my side plates. Ended up with the haulin *** backrest, but, still, it works good and I never scratched my fender. just be careful installing and removing. A towel on the fender works good when inserting or removing the sideplates.

Quick Reply: Annoyed with Harley