Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sad but True, Not able to Start my 2009 FXDC

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011 | 11:34 AM
shrini23
|
Road Warrior
Default Sad but True, Not able to Start my 2009 FXDC

Guys recently relocated to India from Houston,TX
It's been 4.5 months my bike (2009 FXDC) was crated in ocean freight.

I took it out and tried starting the bike, the battery was not functioning...
I totally charged the battery with tender almost for 3-5 days, I checked with amp meter and it showing around 15amps...
I installed the battery, the lights/blinkers function properly...
When I try to press Start button nothing happens, I mean literaly nothing there is no power to starter and engine doesnt start at all...

Now the question is, will a starter go bad if I havent used it in 4 months or is the battery gone bad due ot 4 months of non usage?

The local dealer is selling the batter for 130$ but the issue is, if I buy the battery & found out the starter is not functioning then I'll end up losing money as there is no returns on batteries...

So can someone pls help me with some suggestion

Old 11-04-2011 | 11:37 AM
liljoejoe54
Tourer

I dont think the starter can go bad because of lack of use. The battery can though. See if you can get the battery tested to see if it really is dead.

Old 11-04-2011 | 11:38 AM
ThunderBueller
Road Master

Pull the battery and take it somewhere to have it load tested to find out if it's bad or not.

Old 11-04-2011 | 11:43 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

Try a new battery in the key fob. Or, if you have the second fob see if that works.

Old 11-04-2011 | 11:46 AM
shrini23
|
Road Warrior

@nevil
nothing to do with the FOB
as I said when I connected the battery the lights turn on, horn honks, blinkers works fine...
its just the damn thing that when I press "start" switch nothing happens

Old 11-04-2011 | 11:49 AM
WG2011
Outstanding HDF Member

Have battery load tested to see if it can actually hold a charge that will tell you forsure if its the battery or not. If it not the battery you could have you hands full being nothing is even lighting up which leads me to believe the battery is absolutely toasted.

Old 11-04-2011 | 11:58 AM
Hot6
Cruiser

If your battery is drawing 15 amps after 3-5 days of charging the battery more than likely has a bad cell. Normally a battery should start drawing 15 amps and dwindle down to 0 amps when fully charged.

Old 11-04-2011 | 12:02 PM
liljoejoe54
Tourer

The lights coming on doesnt mean the battery is good. It can have enough juice to turn the lights on but not enough to turn the starter.

Old 11-04-2011 | 12:07 PM
Hot6
Cruiser

Did you try jumper cables?

Old 11-04-2011 | 12:13 PM
smellsbad2
Cruiser

Not an expert here but, A less than scientific method to test your battery under load without removing it is... if the lights are bright, and if you have 15 V. they should be, try to start the bike, be sure you are in neutral etc. if the light does not dim there is no load being put on it so the problem is probably elsewhere. If light dies immediately when you press the start, the battery is not holding a load, check all connections and repeat, if that all seems in order and the lights do not dim, nothing happens at all, Work the stop switch and ignition switch repeatedly, may be something is not making connection just from sitting.
If all else fails get a manual and read the directions, of course reading the directions is the last resort after you have wasted a day you could have been riding.
Sun is out and it is 42 degrees and sunny in N.Minnesota,not typical for November. I better go see if mine will start, may get snow and rain this weekend.

Quick Reply: Sad but True, Not able to Start my 2009 FXDC