Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 FXD35... what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 07:41 AM
thork86
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 FXD35... what to do?

Got my 06 25th anniversary Superglide back in April. Always wanted a Harley, had a budget, picked out my favorite one in my price range at the dealer, and have loved it since.

But I started reading up from other owners and notices (as you do) and I'm just wondering about the longevity of the particular bike I picked out.

It's an 06, apparently there was some engine flaw in JUST this year?

It has higher miles, at 23k (bought with 21k or so) and while everything runs great now, I'm wondering if I put another 10-15k on her over the life of my loan (about 50 months left) will there be much left of the old gal at that point?

I guess I'm just wondering, given proper care and feeding, what's the life expectancy of this bearing-issue-prone 06 Dyna?

Buddy is looking at getting one too, and is checking out 07's with under 5k miles. Kinda makes me think how long does my 06 have to go?

I guess this 06-motor issue has got me spooked is all.

Thoughts? Is there anyone on here with an 06 with higher miles? Any issues?

Any way to check and see if mine got that bearing issue taken care of already?

Trying to avoid major repair costs while I'm still paying off this great bike. Should I even be concerned? When was your first major repair cost, if any, on an 06?

Thanks...

Old 11-04-2011, 08:28 AM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

I have an '06, a Street Bob and don't really have any concerns. The motor is fine, the inner primary bearing is what is prone to wearing out. Also the stator/rotor is a two piece unit on the '06's which have been know to fail (the '07 and later have a 1 piece welded unit). I've replaced both in mine, the bearing because it was going and the stator/rotor as a preventative measure with the updated part.

These are the threads to read through.
https://www.hdforums.com/m_3609254/tm.htm
https://www.hdforums.com/m_1781139/tm.htm
https://www.hdforums.com/m_2540619/tm.htm
https://www.hdforums.com/m_2269574/tm.htm
https://www.hdforums.com/m_1696586/tm.htm

Old 11-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Harley Tim
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The cam chain tensioners and stator are the only things you need to be mindful of on the '06 Dyna engine that I know of. The Stator is a grenade just waiting to go off. The tensioners shouldn't be an issue until 60-75k depenging on your driving behavior. I had mine change out at considerly more than that as a preventive mesure. They were only about half gone.

The inner primary bering, on the other hand, could be a whole different ball game. You should try to get the past maint. history on the bike to determine if it has had issues and, if it has had the "Big fix" for that problem.

Some say they have had no problems with '06 IPB's. Others are plagued with problems. Some '06 IPB's go quick. The "Fix" is a '07 Trans. case and inner primary case.

There is plenty of info here on the Forums addressing these problems.

Best wishes....Tim(HT)

Old 11-04-2011, 09:46 AM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harley Tim
The cam chain tensioners and stator are the only things you need to be mindful of on the '06 Dyna engine that I know of. The Stator is a grenade just waiting to go off. The tensioners shouldn't be an issue until 60-75k depenging on your driving behavior. I had mine change out at considerly more than that as a preventive mesure. They were only about half gone.

The inner primary bering, on the other hand, could be a whole different ball game. You should try to get the past maint. history on the bike to determine if it has had issues and, if it has had the "Big fix" for that problem.

Some say they have had no problems with '06 IPB's. Others are plagued with problems. Some '06 IPB's go quick. The "Fix" is a '07 Trans. case and inner primary case.

There is plenty of info here on the Forums addressing these problems.

Best wishes....Tim(HT)
The cam chain tensioners are the newer style ones like the '07 and later bikes so there shouldn't be much to worry about with those.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:51 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Keep the bike well maintained and it should run good for a long time. You may need to replace one or both items mentioned above in the future.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:40 AM
thork86
Cruiser

Ok, so apparently anything made after Feb 2006 is fine with the IPB. My 35th is number 340-something out of 3500, so no idea when it was made. Will my VIN tell me the date of birth?

Regarding the stator and tensioner... I am mechanically inclined, always worked on my own cars, but I guess I need to read up on motorcycles/Harleys because I don't know what these parts are.

I'm assuming I will be able to hear mechanical problems when they start going? What am I listening for, or trying to feel when I ride to know something's wrong? Just anything out of the ordinary?

I will try to get the maintenance records from the dealer, but as it's a used bike don't know if that will happen or not.

Like I said, there's nothing I can hear or feel when I'm riding or just listening to it run that makes me think something's wrong.

The damn internet's got me all worked up about my bike's possible mechanical issues!

Old 11-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts

Relax. While there are some known issues with the 06s (mainly IPB), the good news is that yours has made it to 23k miles unscathed. Maybe it's had the fix done, but from what I've read, most of the bikes with problems show up before then. Also, even if you do wind up with a bad bearing, there is a fix for it, and your 35 is cool enough to be worth the risk.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:22 PM
thork86
Cruiser

OK, thank you very much Mr. Redbeard.

Unrelated problem is I need to figure out how to make my Dyna feel bigger than it does... Tallboy seat helped a bit, but my 34" inseam wants forward controls I think.

Trying not to modify the bike though, since it's limited edition...

Thanks again for putting my mind at ease, everyone.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts

I went with highway peg mounts from the 06-up FXDL for my Street Bob because they are black instead of chrome . (like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-MOUNT...-/260835814623)
HD sells these chrome adjustable ones http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US
or these non-adjustable ones that are also chrome http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Keep an eye on ebay and the classifieds here.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:23 PM
thork86
Cruiser

Oh ok, those are just foot rests right? Not where you shift/brake? I already have those foot rests up front.

Quick Reply: 2006 FXD35... what to do?