Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 FXD35... what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 10:33 AM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 392 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ackman1968
I envy you guys that have dealers that will work with you. Both my local dealer and the Yakima dealer would not acknowledge the issue. At the time I would have had to pay for a diagnosis before I could get it fixed on their dime and it was just cheaper to buy the parts and do it myself. I bought the Baker bearing and haven't looked back. If I ever decide I really need the dowels I'll just have the pieces machined to take them, the bolt holes are already machined, they just need opened up a tiny bit more.
I'm in Canada and the dealer I bought my bike from has since closed. In Canada warranty is not handled by Harley itself but by Deeley Canada who is the national distributor.

When the bearing failed the second time I went to the largest dealer in the area and told them what I had been reading here in this forum. The service rep said there was no way Deeley would do that in a million years. I told him I wanted the cases to be swapped out and all I was asking was for him to make a phone call, which he did. A few days later I went back and the service rep told me they had said no they were not going to help out. I told him I would like to persue this further and asked for a customer service number. When I called them I was told there must have been a communication error because a file had been set up for my bike and all they were waiting for was the dealer to confirm the problem. If I had been wrong and it was not the IPB I would have been on the hook for the bill.
The biggest thing that helped me was I was polite with everyone. Which is not in my nature when I think someone is lying to me. And I think the dealership at least knew about the problem, even if they didn't know about the free case upgrade.

Since then the dealership has been great.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Harley Tim
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad it worked out for you ackman1968. And, believe me the MoCo is fully aware of this issue!

Any of you out there having these problems with the '06 Dynas, hang in there. there is a soulution. A lot of the dealships "dummy up" about it. Or, they just don't know.

My service guy was very "tuned in" to the subject and, picked up and carried on with the conversation I'd started with him about it. He made the call to the MoCo in my behalf, ordered the parts, and scheduled me in all within about 10 days! He knew all about the "full monty" fix and even shared some things I had not learned about after may hours of reading here on the Forums that I really don't feel comfortable going into detail about here.

"Hats Off" to all of you here that took the time to share your experiences and, provide information. You folks are the ones that made this happen, and I'm grateful!

For you that don't know where to start, It's all starts right here. Go to your dealer well informed, and "Hold your water"! A little good will (AND MANNERS) goes a long way.

Hope this helps, Best wishes....Tim(HT)

Last edited by Harley Tim; 11-06-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:51 AM
Scouser1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was it a recall or do all the dealers know about the bearing problem?
Scouser

Old 11-07-2011, 02:52 AM
Scouser1
Cruiser

Was it a recall or do all the dealers know about the bearing problem?
Scouser

Old 11-07-2011, 04:06 AM
Harley Tim
Road Master

It is not a recall. I'm sure most dealers have at least herd of it but, from what I've read here on the Forums, many choose not th be pro-active about it.

Some owners have been persistant and have been successful after lengthy debate. Others get it done with little effort. (like taking your ride in for service) Still others just give up and take matters into their own hands. It all depends on the dealer.

That is why I cann't stress enough that if you think your '06 is one of the many having this problem, educate youself to it! and be prepared to demostrate that education to you maint. guys at the local MoCo shop if they are "dummied up", educate them. And what ever you do, don't loose your cool!

For me.... it all started here at the Forum. This place is a wealth of knowlege if you just take the time to sort it out.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:30 AM
thork86
Cruiser

You guys are awesome.

Looks like my bike was made in August 2005! Must be an early 06 model then.

23k still seems high mileage to me when I step back and think about it. I feel like I should have not gotten the first Harley I liked, but I still am very happy with the bike. It looks so damn good to me.

Think it would be a hard sell with the mileage, IF it ever came to that?

I guess it's like with cars, some people care about super low miles, others could care less as long as it was maintained properly.

Last edited by thork86; 11-08-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Harley Tim
Road Master

PM Sent

Old 11-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Scouser1
Cruiser

I don't think 23k miles is a lot for a 6 year old bike!
It's only 4,000 miles per year .
And you bought one of the nicest looking Harley's ever made.
Scouser

Old 11-08-2011, 09:14 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by thork86
23k still seems high mileage to me when I step back and think about it.
Originally Posted by Scouser1
I don't think 23k miles is a lot for a 6 year old bike!
It's only 4,000 miles per year .
23k is nothing, I have 25k on mine and there were two years where my job kept me off it for the most part and I only put 2k on in the TWO year span. I should be over 30k if not for that stupid move.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:04 PM
thealaskan
Road Captain

Originally Posted by nkauf21
I have an '06, a Street Bob and don't really have any concerns. The motor is fine, the inner primary bearing is what is prone to wearing out. Also the stator/rotor is a two piece unit on the '06's which have been know to fail (the '07 and later have a 1 piece welded unit). I've replaced both in mine, the bearing because it was going and the stator/rotor as a preventative measure with the updated part.

These are the threads to read through.
https://www.hdforums.com/m_3609254/tm.htm
https://www.hdforums.com/m_1781139/tm.htm
https://www.hdforums.com/m_2540619/tm.htm
https://www.hdforums.com/m_2269574/tm.htm
https://www.hdforums.com/m_1696586/tm.htm
Subscribing for these links... mucho gracias.