Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 FXD35... what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 08:08 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by thork86
Ok, so apparently anything made after Feb 2006 is fine with the IPB. My 35th is number 340-something out of 3500, so no idea when it was made. Will my VIN tell me the date of birth?
No, this info is not correct. My bike has an April production date and the IPB failed at 15k with the rotor failing at 18k (should have replaced it when I did the bearing!). The route I went on the IPB is the Baker style bearing. My dealer did not want to work with me and I just don't have the patients for those idiots so I took it into my own hands.

All in all I have no regrets getting an 06, it has been a great solid bike that has not let me down.

edit: your production date is on the decal on the front right frame down tube. You will have to look from the left side to see it.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:30 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

As stated, the motor is not a problem and the cam chain is the new style, just like the 96" engine. If you want piece of mind and an inexpensive solution here is what you can do. Baker Drivetrain makes a replacement IPB that is a different design, It presses on the inner case and not the shaft. It is a pretty sure fix for the issue. It was design for high torque applications where the factory bearing would walk and be damaged. The stator issue can be fixed at this time as well. When you have the case apart have the bolts on the rotor spot welded and they will never come loose. If you are mechanically inclined you can do all this yourself for around $100.00 including gaskets and fluid with about $10.00 for the welding if you don't know how. You can have a shop do it for around $300.00

Old 11-04-2011, 08:56 PM
thork86
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, you guys have put me at ease. Thank you!

Also, anyone else feel like the talboy seat kinda makes things more of a pain for tall riders? Certainly more comfortable than stock but sits you up so damn high! I'd rather sit further back than sit up high! Hah!

Last edited by thork86; 11-04-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:50 PM
lowriderfxr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That 35th Anniversary Super Glide is one of the most beautiful bikes Harley has made in quite a while! Enjoy it!

Old 11-05-2011, 02:56 AM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

If you want a seat that sits you back further, check out ccseats.com. I have the lopro solo and it moved me back about 2" compared to the stock seat.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:57 AM
Scouser1
Cruiser

Hi
Mine is a January 2006 and its #3311.
Picked it up 4 weeks ago.
No problems with mine, but its only done 12,000KMS.

Best bike I have ever had.
Scouser

Old 11-05-2011, 02:43 PM
thork86
Cruiser

Ok thanks for the suggestion, nkauf.

great bike, i agree, just gotta make it fit better and not worry about the possible mechanical stuff... still not sure what i can listen for (if anything) to hear it start to go bad, but I guess I'll know if something's out of the ordinary! haha

Old 11-05-2011, 05:40 PM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 392 Likes on 148 Posts

My 06 is in the dealership right now getting the cases swapped. 3 years past warranty and Harley is picking up the bill. I can't complain at all about that service. I'm getting the stator changed at the same time even though the screws in mine were all tight.

Once I get it back both known issues with my bike will be updated and I plan on keeping it for many more years. I love this bike.

PS. A stator is basically the same thing as an alternator.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:23 AM
Harley Tim
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thork86..... I started hearing mine....(again) for the third time, when I'd pull up to the drive thru at McD's (near a wall where the noise would bounce back) on the way to work. As I pulled up, I'd put the shifter in neutral and let out the clutch (While running) and notice a distinct difference in the noise comeing from the clutch pac area. Sounded a lot like a metal rollers going down a sidewalk.

Pull in the clutch, put it in gear, it goes away. Put it in neutral, let out the clutch, there it is again.
Not to panic if it's there but, it will only get wourse with time. It's not a "show stopper". Most MoCo shops will work with you on it. Especially if you bought it from them.

Mine goes in tomorrow for the big fix, with their compliments. ($$). Bought it new in '05 from them and they have handled it well for me.

And yes!! A little good will goes a long way in my book.

Hope this helps, god luck.

Best wishes....Tim (HT)

Last edited by Harley Tim; 11-06-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:40 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I envy you guys that have dealers that will work with you. Both my local dealer and the Yakima dealer would not acknowledge the issue. At the time I would have had to pay for a diagnosis before I could get it fixed on their dime and it was just cheaper to buy the parts and do it myself. I bought the Baker bearing and haven't looked back. If I ever decide I really need the dowels I'll just have the pieces machined to take them, the bolt holes are already machined, they just need opened up a tiny bit more.

Quick Reply: 2006 FXD35... what to do?