Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Woes of being stationed overseas

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 10:43 AM
leepetersusn
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Woes of being stationed overseas

One of the woes of being stationed overseas is vehicle inspections. I have an international model Street Bob that's coming up for inspection. In the past they were able to do it on the base with not problem, but Guardia Civil has started cracking down and now any motorcycles bought in Spain have to be inspected out in town. That being said, I have to change most everything back to stock to include putting the factory exhaust back on, removing my Power Commander (They do emissions as well as sound testing), and put the factory back tire size on. Everything with the exception of the back tire is easy and I can do it myself. I don't want to buy a new tire when mine is perfectly good. So now I'm looking to buy a factory take off 06 or later Street Bob Complete wheel assembly with sprocket, rotor, tire in the 160/70B-17 size. If I can come up with one, I just want to have it so I can put it on for the inspection and put my Pirelli 180 back on after the inspection. What a pain in the butt.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:01 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Why would you have to put your bike back to stock configuration, including the wheels/tires?

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 10-28-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:21 PM
Garyk
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Laws there probably require factory stock...

Old 10-28-2011, 05:40 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

dude that sucks
i can understand the pipes but are they really going to check the tire size

Old 10-28-2011, 07:17 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Good Grief! That's a royal PITA! I'd be hard pressed to wanna change the rear tire just to pass the insp. Have you heard of others that had issues? How detailed are these inspections? The tire seems like it "might" slip under the radar...

Old 10-28-2011, 08:54 PM
romad01
6th Gear

unless this is a requirement for your spacific location, you should be covered by the SOFA. I know in Germany we didn't have to follow the German laws when it came to our bikes.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

--------------

Last edited by Zig Zag 2010; 11-03-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:06 AM
leepetersusn
Tourer

Spanish law requires them to follow a checklist for the vehicle inspections. The checklist has them check all sorts of things and tire size is one of them. I'm not covered under the SOFA (Status of Forces Agreement) because I didn't bring the bike with me from the states, I bought a Spanish Specification bike from a local dude. I've got a couple of guys that I am checking with, but the vehicle inspections are very strictly controlled. I've got a few months before the inspection is up, so hopefully I'll have it all worked out by then.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:31 AM
djwhaley
Road Captain

Why dont you borrow a buddies wheel for the inspection?

Old 10-29-2011, 03:36 AM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

Wow, that sucks. Being oversees is a pain when it comes to vehicles for sure. We have an annual inspection in the UK also and the bikes have to meet the requirements whether they are US or International spec. Although your inspections seems a lot more strict then what I have to go through. All I've had to do is make sure my rear turn signals are orange prior to the test.

Quick Reply: Woes of being stationed overseas