Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low profile WARM gloves?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 01:00 AM
XjldX
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Low profile WARM gloves?

So I have been battling tingly fingers these last few days of riding. As the mercury drops, I find myself needing a warmer pair of gloves.

Here's the catch, I hate the feeling of the bulky cold weather gloves that I already have, it feels like I am disconnected from the grips entirely.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good pair of warm gloves that will keep the feeling in my fingers when riding in near freezing temps, that are thin, low profile and don't look/feel like ski gloves?

Cheers,
jld!

Old 10-27-2011, 01:13 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

My favorite winter gloves were made for skiing. I cant remember the brand off the top of my head but there warm, have good grip and great dexterity. You could also try heated grips or gloves

Old 10-27-2011, 04:43 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an experience to tell you about concerning frozen hands, take it for what it's worth.

A few years ago I was invited for a mid-fall trail ride in Elk City, ID. I live in the lowlands and didn't expect to see temperatures below 50.

I loaded up my 450 EXC KTM and made the 5 hour drive to the mountains to join my two companions at a cabin in Elk City.

The next morning we headed out on the fire roads and trails with me leading the group and absorbing the morning dew from the overhanging brush and clearing the trail later of rain, snow and hail.

My companions were dressed in snowmobile suits and heavily insulated snowmobile gloves. I was wearing polypropylene underwear, a sweater and thin Goretex pants and poncho, my gloves were summer mesh MX gloves. I was also 7 to 10 years older than my 40ish riding companions.

I stayed as warm as toast on the entire 4 hour loop that took us through rain, snow and hail as we climbed higher and higher in the mountains on fire roads, dirt trails and single path trails. We stopped for gas in Dixie, ID and had hot chocolate and warmed up for the return trip, but I was warm and comfortable.

My companions had to stop and grab dry gloves out of their fanny packs and stop a few more times to warm their hands on the motorcycle engines. My hands never got cold, nor did I ever feel uncomfortable.

How could my hands stay warm when theirs got too cold to continue? I was wearing mesh gloves and they were wearing heavy winter gloves and changing them for drier gloves. The only difference was that I had bark busters on my bike with hand shields mounted to them.

I've seen similar things for road bikes and Harleys, just simple shields that mount to your controls or bars that block the wind and rain.

I just thought I throw that out there.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:38 AM
Uncle Nick
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HemiOrange
I have an experience to tell you about concerning frozen hands, take it for what it's worth.

A few years ago I was invited for a mid-fall trail ride in Elk City, ID. I live in the lowlands and didn't expect to see temperatures below 50.

I loaded up my 450 EXC KTM and made the 5 hour drive to the mountains to join my two companions at a cabin in Elk City.

The next morning we headed out on the fire roads and trails with me leading the group and absorbing the morning dew from the overhanging brush and clearing the trail later of rain, snow and hail.

My companions were dressed in snowmobile suits and heavily insulated snowmobile gloves. I was wearing polypropylene underwear, a sweater and thin Goretex pants and poncho, my gloves were summer mesh MX gloves. I was also 7 to 10 years older than my 40ish riding companions.

I stayed as warm as toast on the entire 4 hour loop that took us through rain, snow and hail as we climbed higher and higher in the mountains on fire roads, dirt trails and single path trails. We stopped for gas in Dixie, ID and had hot chocolate and warmed up for the return trip, but I was warm and comfortable.

My companions had to stop and grab dry gloves out of their fanny packs and stop a few more times to warm their hands on the motorcycle engines. My hands never got cold, nor did I ever feel uncomfortable.

How could my hands stay warm when theirs got too cold to continue? I was wearing mesh gloves and they were wearing heavy winter gloves and changing them for drier gloves. The only difference was that I had bark busters on my bike with hand shields mounted to them.

I've seen similar things for road bikes and Harleys, just simple shields that mount to your controls or bars that block the wind and rain.

I just thought I throw that out there.
Interesting post HemiOrange, I guess it's the wildchill factor that really cools the hands and you stopped that.

A friend always rode with handlebar muffs fitted in winter and just light, summer gloves.

http://www.hippohands.com/Products%20Description.htm

He always had warm hands he said but his bike sure looked duff!

Old 10-27-2011, 07:37 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bought a pair at the Harley joint last year that are battery operated. They keep my hands warm riding at 27 degrees. At least that is the coldest temp I have ridden in so far. They are not bulky and bend at the base of the fingers and nuckels really well making it easy to feel the grips and clutch and brake levers.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:18 AM
South Jersey Scooter Trash
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found that a descent pair of gauntlet leather gloves and pair of under armor liners works well even at 15 degrees.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:26 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I wear a cheap pair of thin leather gloves year round.

When the temps drop I wear a pair of latex doctor style gloves as a liner.

Throw a few in the tool bag and you're set.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:08 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If you want warm AND thin they plug in, heated is the only way you'll always be warm - even the best insulated leather gauntlet gloves will eventually get cold and the fun is over.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Gamble Gold
Cruiser

How about these:

(clicky)

(clicky)

Old 10-27-2011, 11:32 AM
Gringoloco13
Road Master

I picked up this glove set from Gerbing's, and bought an adapter to run these from my battery tender connector. These are heated gloves and keep your hands very nice and warm.

G3 Heated Gloves
http://gerbing.com/Products/Gloves/G3.php

SAE-2 to Coaxial Heated Garment Adapter
http://shop.roadcaptainusa.com/produ...2&categoryId=4

Quick Reply: Low profile WARM gloves?