Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED turn signal question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 08:31 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 486 Likes on 354 Posts
Default LED turn signal question?

I have finally decided to rid my bike of the factory rear turn signals and replace them with some sleeker new LED's. My question is this. I have installed the run/brake/turn module and the factory signals are of course single filament 1156 bulbs. If I install aftermarket LED's, will they work with the run/brake/turn module? I would hate to loose that option as having lots of light on the back of the bike is a good thing. I just can't see trusting my life to a single 1157 filament on a dark hyway. Anyways, will LED's work with that module? If not, what are my options?

Old 10-25-2011, 08:40 PM
fdh161
Supporter
Received 194 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
I have finally decided to rid my bike of the factory rear turn signals and replace them with some sleeker new LED's. My question is this. I have installed the run/brake/turn module and the factory signals are of course single filament 1156 bulbs. If I install aftermarket LED's, will they work with the run/brake/turn module? I would hate to loose that option as having lots of light on the back of the bike is a good thing. I just can't see trusting my life to a single 1157 filament on a dark hyway. Anyways, will LED's work with that module? If not, what are my options?

I haven't done it yet on my FLD, but on the '011 Road King I traded in I had installed the Harley Brake/turn light kit, and later added an LCD taillight, then LCD turn signals, and they all worked fine. When all three of those lights lit up as I hit the brakes, it was like Christmas it was so bright!

Old 10-25-2011, 09:04 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,006 Likes on 756 Posts

The LEDs should work with your module. Without a load equalizer the lights will flash at double speed and could make the red security light come on. Some of the r/b/t modules have the equalizer built in, otherwise you can get one that is plug and play.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:29 PM
11bDad
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 10-25-2011, 10:19 PM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
I have finally decided to rid my bike of the factory rear turn signals and replace them with some sleeker new LED's. My question is this. I have installed the run/brake/turn module and the factory signals are of course single filament 1156 bulbs. If I install aftermarket LED's, will they work with the run/brake/turn module? I would hate to loose that option as having lots of light on the back of the bike is a good thing. I just can't see trusting my life to a single 1157 filament on a dark hyway. Anyways, will LED's work with that module? If not, what are my options?_________________________
I just used the r/b/t/equalizer module from J&P, part #380-215-01. With it I can run 1156 LED's (Radiantz). Super bright and allowed me to eliminate the bulbous brake light.

You will probably want to wire in an equalizer if you can't find one to plug in to the r/b/t module that you bought.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:38 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 486 Likes on 354 Posts

Awesome info. Thanks guys.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:38 AM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a R/T/S module with stock bulbs. There wasn't enough contrast between the running light & the stop light... riders behind me thought my brake lights were stuck on.
I changed the bulbs to LED bulbs and got the same (brighter) results.

Then I got the Dynamic Clusters that are 3 lights in 1 (they are pictured at the bottom of the link page above).

These work fantastic, w/o the R/S/T module! I was glad to get ride of the module... one less thing that might fail in the middle of a ride.

I still have the stock turn sigs up front... a load equalizer isn't needed with this set up.

If you subtract the price of the R/S/T module from the cost of the DC bulbs you end up with @ a $20 up grade.

Last edited by 08fxdf43202; 10-26-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:36 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 08fxdf43202
I had a R/T/S module with stock bulbs. There wasn't enough contrast between the running light & the stop light... riders behind me thought my brake lights were stuck on.
I changed the bulbs to LED bulbs and got the same (brighter) results.

Then I got the Dynamic Clusters that are 3 lights in 1 (they are pictured at the bottom of the link page above).

These work fantastic, w/o the R/S/T module! I was glad to get ride of the module... one less thing that might fail in the middle of a ride.

I still have the stock turn sigs up front... a load equalizer isn't needed with this set up.

If you subtract the price of the R/S/T module from the cost of the DC bulbs you end up with @ a $20 up grade.
I totally with you about eliminating as many add-on modules as possible. I just got done removing my r/b/t load equalizer and the LEDs and whatever else when trying to chase down a problem. It turns out that they weren't the fault. So I'll put them back on.

On the other hand, my experiences with the r/b/t load equalizer and converted LED rear turn signals was nothing but good. I've had riders behind me remark how super bright they were, ask what I had and where to buy them. The contrast between running and braking is very noticeable. Perhaps my particular conversion, that I mentioned earlier, has more contrast than what you were using.

BTW, I couldn't find your referenced Dynamic Clusters "pictured at the bottom of the link page above" that you mentioned. If they are an all-in-one center mounted tail light/run light/turn signal then many states don't allow them. My state requires turn signals to be a certain distance apart. That's a real inconvenience for my "street legal" and licensed dirt bike.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:22 AM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 10-27-2011, 04:19 PM
PhotoRider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HemiOrange

BTW, I couldn't find your referenced Dynamic Clusters "pictured at the bottom of the link page above" that you mentioned. If they are an all-in-one center mounted tail light/run light/turn signal then many states don't allow them. My state requires turn signals to be a certain distance apart. That's a real inconvenience for my "street legal" and licensed dirt bike.

I believe they are this insert:
http://www.customdynamics.com/motorc...c_clusters.htm

They have separate wiring for running and brake lights so they don't need the r/b/t module. Separate color leds for turn signals using the standard wiring to the bullet and red leds for run/brake which have two different intensities.

They cost $32 more than the rad's, but you save the r/b/t module cost.

Bet they look cool with smoked lens.

Quick Reply: LED turn signal question?