Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna vs Sportster...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 07:51 PM
armyhooah
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna vs Sportster...

I currently have an 08 xl883l.

I am looking at getting a Wide Glide when I pay the car off.

Right now the Sporster suspension sucks. The Dyna's have the same kind of set up. HOw much better or the same is the Dyna suspension?

Thanks

Old 10-25-2011, 07:51 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 380 Posts

lots of options in the dyna world. i use stock touring air shocks from a 2011

Old 10-25-2011, 08:10 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

From the factory the Dyna suspension feels better but reality is that they all pretty much suck. Once you use good suspension components on either you will find it hard to go back. You will be limited if you keep the suspension low because there is limited suspension travel. A properly set up Sporty with regular height suspension can be an all day cruiser and plenty of fun in the twisties.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:30 PM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

The suspension experts will tell you that using the air shocks from a touring model on a Dyna is not a good idea.

Most stock suspesions leave a lot to be desired. There are a bunch of options for your Sporty and a Dyna if you were to buy one. It all depends on how much you want to spend and what you're going for. Works Suspension, Ohlins, Race Tech, Suspension Dynamics, and Ricor are all good products, but can be expensive. Some will recommend Progressive and Burly. The lower end progressives and the burlys are similar to stick suspension, just shorter. The high end stuff from Progressive has good reviews.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:31 PM
joesride
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Plenty of options for both bikes......But the Dyna's power and 6speed tranny out on the super slab will put a smile on your face....And the Dyna handles very nicely around town etc as well.....I like Sportys also though, they are fun bikes for sure.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:41 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I had an 05 883C hopped up to a 1250 and I remmeber the first time I rode my Street Bob it rode so damn smooth compared to the Sporty it really did feel like a big step up in ride quality. The motor was so smooth too. The Sporty always felt twitchy and high strung, the Dyna was much more laid back and cruiser like.
I really liked my Sporty but I'm happy I made the switch almost 5 years ago.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:16 PM
voneville
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just sold my Sportster; a 99 XL883C. I can't directly compare it to an 08, but I just bought a Dyna this week and it feels a lot different. Not too impressed with the stock shocks on mine, but they're okay. The Dyna is easier to ride and handles better in my opinion. The gear ratio is also nice. I would set up a test ride with your dealer so you can get a better idea if it's worth it to you. Lots of ways to upgrade and dial in a Sporster (cartridge emulators up front, upgraded shocks in rear etc).

From what I've heard about the rubber mounted Sportsters the difference may not be as drastic in your case. My Sportster has the 21" up front and forward controls so I never really felt comfortable digging into turns like I can with the Dyna. The Sporster I had before the 99 was a 78, so it was a big improvement for me. I don't regret getting the Dyna, it's a fun bike to ride.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:20 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

My 07 XL1200 flew like a bat out of hell with the stage 1 and upgrades. I did install 410 progressives but the Dyna is like night and day as far as the feel and ride.
You see in my signature I invested a small chunk of change upgradeing thisDyna but worth every penny. Stock suspension on both are like the seats, cheap.
The sportster is top heavy compared to the Dyna.
The six speed is a plus, the engine doesn't need the r's like the sporty to move out.
My SB is mostly stock engine wise with just an Xieds upgrade to richen it up a bit, really helps.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:59 PM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by armyhooah
I currently have an 08 xl883l.

I am looking at getting a Wide Glide when I pay the car off.

Right now the Sporster suspension sucks. The Dyna's have the same kind of set up. HOw much better or the same is the Dyna suspension?

Thanks
The suspension for both bikes can be improved with aftermarket parts and shocks. However, that isn't what separates the Dynas from the Sporsters as much as the longer wheelbase and larger engines.

I liked my old 1000cc ironhead Sportster for it's handling, but hated the fact that it topped out at 84 MPH. I quickly got bored with it and sold it. I didn't get another Harley for 11 years.

My Dyna isn't as flickable as the Sporty and is more of a handful on the loose gravel roads due mostly to the weight increase and forward foot positioning, but it's sure a lot more fun to ride on the pavement. Despite the suspension upgrades I've done on the Dyna, the Sporty would still be a better choice for the hairpin turns and tight twisties especially when fitted with the mid-controls vs the forwards that I mounted on the Dyna. The Dyna with mid controls would be very close and have an edge in acceleration between the turns. When I speak of acceleration, I'm not being fair to the Sportster since my Dyna engine is nowhere near stock, making it an apples to oranges comparison.

In the end, both bikes can be made better with suspension and engine upgrades, so what separates the two is wheelbase and weight. For my riding the Dyna has the best compromise..The weight and length make it a smoother and more stable ride, sort of a happy medium between the Sporty and the Road King.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:33 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

for around town and twisties sportsters are a ton of fun. I have had several and I thought long and hard about another sportster before my dyna, I love my dyna streetbob.

Quick Reply: Dyna vs Sportster...