Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Swingarm Bag / 90200570

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 07:19 PM
AK BAGGER
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Updated pictures ....I cut down the upper swingarm mount again, and modified the upper mounts on the bag also, trying to get the bag mounted like the pictures on the Harley parts page. I think I've got it now. It's well below the "electronics box cover", and follows the lines of the swingarm and belt guard.

Small but functional, and looks good!

Dyna Swingarm Bag / 90200570-005.jpg

Dyna Swingarm Bag / 90200570-007.jpg

Dyna Swingarm Bag / 90200570-009.jpg

Dyna Swingarm Bag / 90200570-004.jpg

Old 06-20-2012, 07:59 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AK BAGGER
Updated pictures ....I cut down the upper swingarm mount again, and modified the upper mounts on the bag also, trying to get the bag mounted like the pictures on the Harley parts page. I think I've got it now. It's well below the "electronics box cover", and follows the lines of the swingarm and belt guard.

Attachment 256638

Attachment 256639

Attachment 256640

Attachment 256641
You did a great job modifying the bag.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:00 PM
Tepidy
Tourer

Nice bag. I'm selling mine. I only had if mounted for a week and decided to take it off so that I can put my passenger pegs back on. It's the black one with the bracket. Pm if interested

Old 06-20-2012, 10:40 PM
AK BAGGER
Road Captain

Originally Posted by nkauf21
You did a great job modifying the bag.

Thanks Man!

Old 06-21-2012, 08:27 AM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Looks great! I am going to modify mine so it sits the same way. I am using zip ties too... much better idea than the bulky straps they supply.

Could I get more exact information on how you did this? I understand you cut the upper mount but what did you do about the lower mount? Did you just cut new "slits" on the bag itself to lower its attachment point on the lower mount?

Also, I was thinking instead of cutting down the upper mount, maybe slice the top of the pouch so the upper mount can poke thru the pouch and allow the bag to slide down the mount lower? Would that do the same thing without having to cut the mount down?

Sorry for the questions bro. Great work!

Last edited by jmeiers; 06-21-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:03 PM
AK BAGGER
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jmeiers
Looks great! I am going to modify mine so it sits the same way. I am using zip ties too... much better idea than the bulky straps they supply.

Could I get more exact information on how you did this? I understand you cut the upper mount but what did you do about the lower mount? Did you just cut new "slits" on the bag itself to lower its attachment point on the lower mount?

Also, I was thinking instead of cutting down the upper mount, maybe slice the top of the pouch so the upper mount can poke thru the pouch and allow the bag to slide down the mount lower? Would that do the same thing without having to cut the mount down?

Sorry for the questions bro. Great work!
Your theory on slicing the pouch to "slide through" wont fly. Because the bottom of the pouch on the back of the bag will limit the amount of travel it can slide down. You have to cut the bottom of the pouch.

Here is what I did ...Cut the top swingarm mount off flush with the lower crossbar of the mount. (cut off everything above the crossbar). Then, I cut off 1" off of the "lower part" of the leather pouch on the back of the bag. There are a series of "slots" cut into the bag for the straps. Lets refere to them as "front column", "middle column" and "Rear column". I cut an additional slot 1" above the "middle column" of the factory slots in the back of the bag).

As for the lower swingarm mount ...I bolted it to the swingarm as per the instructions. Then, the only thing I did was drilled two 1/8" pilot holes, then bigger to 3/16" just below the rear-most rectangular strap slot (from below the mount so the drill bit came up between the swingarm and the back of the mount. This allows you to run two zip ties through those wholes to lower the back of the bag.

Then to mount the bag ...slide the leather pouch (cut 1" off the bottom) over the modified "top mount" (cut-off everything above the crossbar). Run one zip tie each from below the lower swingarm mount ...first through the drilled holes, then thread through the rearmost strapslot (in the metal bracket) then into the "top rear column" slot in the bag ...then from inside the bag through the "lower rear column" slot and finally through the locking head of the zip tie. Pull tight.

The final step is to zip tie the "middle column" (I didnt use the "front column" slots in the bag at all). Run 2-3 zip ties through the "modified top middle column slot" and loop through to the "middle slot-middle column" ...complete the loop inserting the zip tie into the locking head (leave loose). Once you have 2-3 zip ties looped through those two slots, reach behind the bag and slide the looped zip ties onto the "dog leg" part of the lower swingarm mount (i didnt thread through the front strap slots on that mount) ...pull the zip ties tight to secure.

If those insteructions dont work for you man, let me know. I will gladly take the bag off tomorrow and take pictues of the mods. We're only talking 10 minutes and 5 zip ties.

Last edited by AK BAGGER; 06-21-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:20 PM
AK BAGGER
Road Captain

jmeiers,
looking bak at your post ...you are probably correct in saying you could just cut another slot into the bag (on the "rear column") to drop the rear of the bag instead of using my method of drilling two holes in the bottom of the lower swingarm mount. I think your idea would work fine and be easier.

Once you've modified the front to the "drop" you want, dropping the back is easy. It doesnt need much drop in the back at all, its all in the front.

Last edited by AK BAGGER; 06-21-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:49 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

Awesome info! I just picked one of these up from another member so I may look into this mod when I get it.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:40 AM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

jmeiers,
looking bak at your post ...you are probably correct in saying you could just cut another slot into the bag (on the "rear column") to drop the rear of the bag instead of using my method of drilling two holes in the bottom of the lower swingarm mount. I think your idea would work fine and be easier.

Once you've modified the front to the "drop" you want, dropping the back is easy. It doesnt need much drop in the back at all, its all in the front.
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it!

What if I take my "poke thru top of pouch" idea but also cut an inch off the bottom of pouch like you did? Would this let the bag slide down the mount lower without having to cut the mount down itself? I guess I am just trying to avoid cutting the mount for whatever reason, can't explain why, but I just am. HAHA!

I am going to do it this weekend. I just need to take it off the bike and look it over again closer. Haven't had a chance yet since I been working all week and the bike has been in the garage because its been upper 90's with matching humidity all week.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:26 PM
AK BAGGER
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jmeiers
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it!

What if I take my "poke thru top of pouch" idea but also cut an inch off the bottom of pouch like you did? Would this let the bag slide down the mount lower without having to cut the mount down itself? I guess I am just trying to avoid cutting the mount for whatever reason, can't explain why, but I just am. HAHA!

I am going to do it this weekend. I just need to take it off the bike and look it over again closer. Haven't had a chance yet since I been working all week and the bike has been in the garage because its been upper 90's with matching humidity all week.

Yeah, you might be able to achieve the drop by cutting open the top of the pouch, and removing an inch from the bottom? My only thoughts on that is the top swingarm bracket might protrude above the saddlebag with that set-up. And the "weight bearing" capability of the bag might be compromising ...added weight would cause the bag to slide down more? With the top of the puch in tact, it is limited on how far it can slide down regardless of weight. Just a thought??? I guess I figured if cutting the top off the upper swingarm bracket didnt work, I could just weld it back together with my trusty Lincoln Welder. I used an electric die cutter to cut the bracket. only took a matter of seconds. The cut-down bracket works fine. There is still plenty of braket there to slide into the pouch.

Let us know how your modded bag turns out ...pictures are always good!

Quick Reply: Dyna Swingarm Bag / 90200570