Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To much oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011 | 09:45 PM
jameserss
|
Intermediate
Default To much oil

I am having an issue, I recently purchassed a 1996 FXD from my wifes uncle. It was sitting for about 4 years and I got it running. I changed the oil and put about 50 miles on it before I went to get an inspection. That day something didnt feel right. When I got it home I jacked up the rear tire and started the bike it sounded ok and felt ok at IDLE but when I put it in second gear it had a horrible clunking sound and shakes badly. It shakes worse than my 69 chevy truck at 60 when Im only doing 30. I checked the oil and it was somehow overfull. I also checked the transmission and it was about a quart low. I have drained off the excess fluid in the engine and added the quart to the transmission. I dont know where or how these two systems are spilling together or pumping into the crank case. I have tried to search as much as I can on the subject. I fear that I am going to have to rebuild the transmission, and if I do I am thinking of going to a 6spd. My big questions are is my gut right, and does anyone have a step by step guide to removal of the tranny? Thanks for the help in advance.

Old 10-23-2011 | 10:41 AM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by jameserss
I am having an issue, I recently purchassed a 1996 FXD from my wifes uncle. It was sitting for about 4 years and I got it running. I changed the oil and put about 50 miles on it before I went to get an inspection. That day something didnt feel right. When I got it home I jacked up the rear tire and started the bike it sounded ok and felt ok at IDLE but when I put it in second gear it had a horrible clunking sound and shakes badly. It shakes worse than my 69 chevy truck at 60 when Im only doing 30. I checked the oil and it was somehow overfull. I also checked the transmission and it was about a quart low. I have drained off the excess fluid in the engine and added the quart to the transmission. I dont know where or how these two systems are spilling together or pumping into the crank case. I have tried to search as much as I can on the subject. I fear that I am going to have to rebuild the transmission, and if I do I am thinking of going to a 6spd. My big questions are is my gut right, and does anyone have a step by step guide to removal of the tranny? Thanks for the help in advance.
You said the bike was sitting for 4 years...and you changed only the oil. Maybe you overfilled the oil? Do you know how many quarts it takes? It appears you did not check the transmission or primary fluid levels based on your comments. If yes, how do you know the oil is getting tranny fluid? Color? Smell? Did you notice any drips under the bike? Did you notice where they were coming from?

If the bike has been sitting that long, I would change all fluids - including the brake fluid. Brake fluid over time tends to absorp water or become, I believe the term is - hydroscopic.

After you've changed all of the fluids, go run it again and look for any drips - noting color and where they are coming from.

Do the easy things first before running off wanting to change to a new tranny, unless that is what you really want to do anyway. Good luck.

Old 10-23-2011 | 12:11 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

The guide you're looking for is a service manual. Not just for the tranny, either. In addition to what was said above about fluids, it will take some of the mystery out of what makes the bike work.

Old 10-23-2011 | 04:41 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior

Those EVO,s when sitting for very long time will have oil settle in the crank, when you do your oil change and add oil it will actually be overfilled due to the oil sitting at the bottom of the engine, now that you have ran the engine it will be fuller.the only way the oil from the tranny can get into the engine is thru the primary and a few bad seals. In some cases the oil will puke out of the air cleaner afterr starting an engine that has been sitting for awhile, so i am told

Last edited by Robtarra39; 10-23-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-23-2011 | 08:28 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member

A brother of mine experienced this on his evo. Let the bike sit all winter. some oil drained into the crankcase and when he changed it he puked about a full quart out his air breather screws into his air cleaner. Hell o' a mess.

Old 10-23-2011 | 08:31 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member

+1 on changing all fluids. After a 4 year sit they all need changing. Id check my tires for rot from sitting as well and also the brake pads to see if they are ok. if it were my bike id get a new battery, spark plugs, wires, brake pads, and change oil , trans, and primary fluids and adjust my primary chain to spec. Id also check the belt for wear and proper tightness. Good luck and enjoy your ride. Once you get the bugs out of it , should run great.

Old 10-24-2011 | 09:31 PM
jameserss
|
Intermediate

Sorry guys, I did the plugs, and checked the oil after changing it. I did not check the primary or the tranny fluid until recently. When we jacked up the rear tire and let it run in second gear there was a bad sound comming out of the tranny and alot of excess vibration. I don't see any fluid leaks under the bike. It has a new battery the tires look to be in decent condition. However I will change them before I put alot of miles on them.

Old 10-25-2011 | 05:17 AM
kpolak
Cruiser

Did 3rd, 4th, and 5th still have the noise & vibration?