Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ditched my fob, key and TSSM

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 08:44 PM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ditched my fob, key and TSSM

Last year I bypassed my ignition switch with toggle switch, so no longer needed to use the key, just the fob was needed.

Lately I've been plagued with these problems:
Engine not slowing down when the throttle is chopped.
Engine either racing or alternatively slowing down to zero and dying at stops.
Erratic engine surging in the 1800 to 2000 RPM range, most annoying when riding through the neighborhood or slow town riding.
Coughing and sputtering during decel and low RPMs.
Lights and flashers flashing after shutdown until I get out of range with the fob.

I checked the codes and replaced the IAC, TPS and MAP sensors, followed by the internal and external fuel hoses, removed the r/t/b/load equalizer and LEDs, but my numerous problems persisted. I thought I'd just remove most of the things I've added with the exception of the PCIII and replace anything indicated by the codes plus whatever else might be causing it.

The remaining code that wouldn't go away was U1097 Loss of Speedometer Serial data, TSM/TSSM. It's a common code that normally can be ignored. However, I ordered a new one anyway as I'm frustrated now and will try anything to get my bike to ride normal. My whole summer of riding has been reduced to a half dozen white knuckle rides when the bike decides to over rev on sharp curves.

Yesterday my new TSM arrived from Zanottis. I pull my old one out and see the two are different. Oops, I bought at TSM instead of a TSSM and Zanottis would not accept returns on electrical items.

A quick check on Google and I discovered how to replace a TSSM with a TSM and do away with the fob and it's related headaches. That's what I did. No dealer involved, just an (until now) secret sequence of how to make the bike relearn the password when replacing TSSM for TSSM or TSSM for TSM or TSM for TSSM.

Now I don't need a fob or key to run my bike. My hidden toggle is all that I need. I can still use the key for locking the forks or whatever I want, but my frustrations are over.

Now I just need to ride it again to see my other problems have gone away.

Last edited by HemiOrange; 10-22-2011 at 02:48 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:40 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Hope you get your bike running better soon. That sure all sounds frustrating. I am glad I did not get the security system when I got my bike , I have heard of a lot of electrical probs because of them.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:31 PM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by missedem
Hope you get your bike running better soon. That sure all sounds frustrating. I am glad I did not get the security system when I got my bike , I have heard of a lot of electrical probs because of them.
The ride today was waaaay better. The only problem was a slight stumbling between 1800 and 2000 RPM. No coughing, no idle run-away, no dying at stops, no TSSM to cause the flashers to continue flashing after shutdown.

The low RPM stumbling might be from when the PClll was richened from -20 to -12 trying to prevent the stalling, but it didn't work. May need to reprogram the PC back to where it was set when dyno tuned.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:47 PM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior

I guess I'm hijacking my own thread, but I went for another ride today and all of my previous problems, unrelated to the TSSM/TSM, returned in full force. The stumbling, dying and coughing were all there.

Now, after a wasted summer of replacing components, I'm ready to take it to a shop. I'd disconnect my PCIII and try that, but my bike is so far from stock, doesn't have 02 sensors, etc., so I'd be afraid to ride it long enough for the problems to show up.

On the other hand I really appreciate ditching the TSSM and the headaches it caused.