Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning & Maintaining your HD

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 09:54 AM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by squarej
So a couple questions on this -
Someone told me a couple weeks ago to use a pwr washer on the wheels but this seems overkill to me?
Also recommend using my leaf blower to dry? Never thought of it but it sounds like it would speed the process up?
I actually received a leaf blower as a gift from the wife one time, I was kind of confused, but then she told me she thought I could use it do dry off my bike (sport bike), it acutally works pretty well. I wouldnt say its the best thing out there, but it does work.

I am really interested in hearing about synthetic oil if anyone is using it. Is it worth the extra money? What about Purple?

Old 10-21-2011, 09:56 AM
sinbadfxdl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with shimmon on the paint brush Idea. Here are my steps in cleaning

step 1 spray bike with simple green/water 50/50 mix to stretch it. Let it soak for a couple of minutes
step 2 scrub areas with non abrasive materials. (paintbrush scrubbing in between the engine finns is a good idea)
step3 rinse with water
step 4 leaf blower to completely dry.
step 5 A dry micro fiber cloth to bring the chrome to it's full shine potential.
step 6 Polish areas of dull aluminum with Mothers at least every other wash to keep up with the chrome.
step 7 Meguiars quick detail wax on the paint. (It's important to wax the paint . Keeping the UV rays out of your paint will look as good as when you first bought it.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:00 AM
art0565
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Dish washing soap and a leaf blower is the way to go, i wash my bike every three months weather it needs it or not.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:06 PM
srurebel55
Advanced

that honda spray you mention, the purple can i think, i use that at the self car wash. use it with microfiber brush, then spray off and towel dry. for the metal i use basic metal polish they sell at moco dealer. ive also followed advice of simple green (alot of that in the army) works well on road and engine stuff.
idk bout the power washer, prob watch what you spray with it. when i use the car wash i dont go full blast anywhere on my bike with it. the leaf blower, done it, make sure no rocks or anything fly up and hit your bike.....can cause bad headache. i like towel drying, time to be one with the bike haha.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:44 PM
MysticTraveler
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Specifically on chrome detailing, I've always used Mother's Chrome Polish with great results. But recently, after reading a positive review in AIM, I tried Surf City Garage "Killer Chrome" polish (available at Pep Boys). Must say it really made my chrome pop, and will be using it going forward.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:47 PM
reclaimer53
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Polish

I quick detail my bike after every ride with this spray polish and cleaner. It is also sold as Honda Polish at my metric area dealer. Love this stuff. I use it on everything.

I think I washed my entire bike once this season.

I also like Pig spit on my black cases and engine. It also makes my black pipes look wet.

Attached Thumbnails Cleaning & Maintaining your HD-41ze3efqzvl._ss500_.jpg  
Old 10-21-2011, 02:23 PM
Black Bart
Road Master
Default Hey Mystic Traveler...

Very pretty two-tone paint on your Heritage. Looks great!

Old 10-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Black Bart
Road Master

I use Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash soap, by hand, Meguiar's Chrome Polish on the chrome, Mother's Billet Aluminum Polish on the aluminum parts, and recently began using Zaino's on the paint.
I stay away from high-pressure washes as I've heard of too many people developing problems with their electrical systems after having used them. Besides, I like washing and polishing her by hand!

Old 10-21-2011, 04:19 PM
cyberkansas
Novice

I just pull into the self-serve car wash and spray it off with soap and rinse. Ride it home to dry it (leaves water spots on pipes), then hit it with a damp towel which usually off just all the water spots.

Sometimes I may need to touch up chrome with Windex and polished aluminum with SimiChrome, but rarely.

If I've been using my Windshield, I only use Plexus (spray can) with a clean towel. Works on window tint in my car as well.

Sure, there are some small water spots here and there but no one notices. Everybody gives me crap about "spending hours" cleaning my bike. Hardly.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Austin Dave
Road Master

I also have a windshield. HD brand. Took it off immediately. Hadn't thought about cleaning it, but it's very dusty now from hanging in garage. Anything should I NOT use to wash/clean it? I guess Simple Green wouldn't hurt it....

Quick Reply: Cleaning & Maintaining your HD