Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frame Rust 2012 Wide Glide

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Plaidfinger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frame Rust 2012 Wide Glide

While riding 2 up last weekend, we scraped a speed bump. I was putting some touch up paint on it when I got home and I noticed rust coming from the rear side of the bracket the side stand is attached to. My old softail didn't have this piece, I'm guessing they are due to the low frame height on the wide glide to prevent frame damage. Anyway, the front of the piece is welded and the back is open. There are two pins in the side which seem to be where the rust is coming from. These pieces are on bost sides of the frame. Does anyone else with a wide glide or other dyna with this part have rust coming from inside it?

Old 10-20-2011, 08:00 PM
jamman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

metal rusts , its not keeping you from riding..

Old 09-15-2012, 04:06 PM
reservjesus
Stage I

Originally Posted by Plaidfinger
While riding 2 up last weekend, we scraped a speed bump. I was putting some touch up paint on it when I got home and I noticed rust coming from the rear side of the bracket the side stand is attached to. My old softail didn't have this piece, I'm guessing they are due to the low frame height on the wide glide to prevent frame damage. Anyway, the front of the piece is welded and the back is open. There are two pins in the side which seem to be where the rust is coming from. These pieces are on bost sides of the frame. Does anyone else with a wide glide or other dyna with this part have rust coming from inside it?

i did the exact same thing to day with my dyna street bob 6 months old!
scraped my right side, and when checking it i found traces of rust on the welded part on the the frame that the mid mounted fot pegs i mounted on! and as you descibe its only welded on the sides and in the front and rust comes on both sides of the frame! i´m thinking bad paint jobb and warranty issue? a new bike should not rust! I didn´t buy it to ride to church on sunday!
I´m riding almost every day hole summer and some times it´s rainy! :O(

note: I haven´t had the time yet to contact my dealer, but anyway it sucks!

Old 09-16-2012, 03:01 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Its just the beginning. Fairly poor finish on Harleys these days. Lots of folks from our club here in the UK have had everything from minor paint bubbles through to whole tins with paint flaking off.

On my '10 Fat Bob the paint bubbled up and peeled off inside the rear fender, same on the front fender but on the top surface around the mounts, nearly all the bolt heads corroded and were replaced, on the tank and rear fender surfaces the paint is so thin it wipes away with a cloth leaving streaks of primer coming through, on the frame under the seat the paint all flaked off and the surfaces went rusty...and several other small bits.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:36 AM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxster
Its just the beginning. Fairly poor finish on Harleys these days. Lots of folks from our club here in the UK have had everything from minor paint bubbles through to whole tins with paint flaking off.

On my '10 Fat Bob the paint bubbled up and peeled off inside the rear fender, same on the front fender but on the top surface around the mounts, nearly all the bolt heads corroded and were replaced, on the tank and rear fender surfaces the paint is so thin it wipes away with a cloth leaving streaks of primer coming through, on the frame under the seat the paint all flaked off and the surfaces went rusty...and several other small bits.
Yep, my experience when buying the Ultra new in '07. I think that Harley does the opposite to what the Lada factories in Russia did in the 80's and 90's. They kept the lesser quality cars for the home market and send the best ones abroad. We get the crappy ones and, pay a 50% higher price for the privilege

Old 09-16-2012, 04:05 AM
Mad Mex
Novice

Oh no...I can tell you that we have the same **** here in Germany.
All new (since 2007) Twincams in our chapter are rusty because the paint is totaly worse.
Also big problems with electric and the engines are running to hot (damaged lifters and gaskets a lot).
The company straight walk to the old AMF ****!!!

Old 09-16-2012, 10:24 AM
oakspeed
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxster
my 2010 wide glide has festered up around the edges of the rear mudguard (fender), and around the hole where the bitch seat fits. cant be arsed with taking it back to the dealer. i think it adds to that "lived in" look.
the lacquer on top and bottom yokes have gone white too, but as im planning to powder coat them, its not a big issue for me.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Plaidfinger
Cruiser

Can't believe this thread came back to life just before halloween a year later..... Zombie Thread!!! Anyway, i've sice had flaking under the seat and a few other small spots. For my own sanity, i just got a little rust remover and touch up paint. Now i just clean, touch up and ride. Won't stay new forever and i truly love my bike now that i don't worry about every little thing. For those with big blue flame, be sure to never let anything chip the actual flames, as the MoCo does not make a touch up paint for that color! I found a close match at a local paint shop and used that on a rather large chip sustained behind a semi on the way back from Sturgis last month.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:10 PM
denimbob08
Cruiser

plaidfinger i believe i have a harley zippo that matches your bike!!!! ive had it for almost ten years i think. hardly used i keep it in a case. ill post a pic for you in a few. got to dig through them and take a pic.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Plaidfinger
Cruiser

Can't wait to see it! BTW, I have a Grabber Blue 2013 Mustang and almost bought the gotta have it green. Looks great!