Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moved from a TC Dyna to an Evo FXR

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 03:09 PM
bucket13
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Moved from a TC Dyna to an Evo FXR

Been doing a lot of research on the FXR lately. Was wondering if anyone has moved from an '06 up TC Dyna to purchase an Evo FXR and if so could you provide your pros and cons of each. I have put together a list, but because I have never owned or rode an FXR I am not sure how accurate it is.

Does it make sense to make such a move?

Old 10-10-2011, 03:40 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Only downside I could see is losing 16ci, from 96" to 80". Plenty of aftermarket parts for evo's though. Makes it easy to hop it up. If you can find one that meets your criteria, I'd go for it.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:03 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I like Evo Powered bikes. The only downside to Evos is you cant go very big on Big Bore kits without aftermarket cases.

There arent any cam chain tensioner issues with the Evos like the Twin Cams.

Used Evo stuff is cheap and easy to come by.

I think low 90 inch setups can be accomplished with stock cases. I am a huge FXR fan so I say go for it. They handle well when setup properly, and Evos are as easy as it gets.

Hey Vic!!! Did you see any Jersey Devils Yet??

Old 10-10-2011, 04:24 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Not yet, Parts unless you count the numerous cagers that tried to kill me yesterday while riding in NY state this past weekend.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:48 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

my wife rides an FXR...only because she won't sell it to me ....gawd them bikes are sweet. don't worry about cubic inches , everybody I ride with runs them new fangled twinkies and I have never had even a slight problem running with them. if anything , just drop a cam in it and you will have more than enough power....evo's arent choked with emissions

Old 10-10-2011, 05:04 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Well, FXR's are the absolute pinnacle of Harley chassis design. They were designed by Eric Buell to be the best handling big twin ever to come out of the MOCO. And of course they are. They use the 3 point engine mounting system, have very stiff frames and are rubber mounted. Decades ago when you wanted to build a hot rod Harley, you bought an FXR and built the motor. Todays Dyna's are a sad excuse as the FXR's replacement in terms of handling, but have the more traditional look the factory was looking for. I think you traded up, but thats just me.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:36 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

I have had both. I currently have 06 superglide and I did have a 87 fxr. I wouldn't trade my dyna for my old fxr and here are the reasons. The fxr is a better frame there is no question about it, but my dyna has upgraded suspension front and back and true track motor mounts which stiffens up the whole feel of the bike and helps to make up for the swingarm mounting to the transmission. The bike is on rails.

My dyna has way better brakes, fuel injection (can be tuned perfectly) and unlike someone mentioned the 06 and up have upgraded cam tensioners that dont have the same problems as the early twincam models. I am pretty hard on my dyna and after 61,000 miles it runs better than it ever has. All I have had to fix was the stator and the moco did that for free.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:40 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Bought new an '89 FXRS-SP. Best bike Harley ever made. Had dual front brakes.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:51 PM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

I went in the exact opposite direction than what you are contemplating - gave up my FXRS-SP of 20 years (see attached) for my current ride. Off the top, you can expect crisper handling with the FXR, and easier DIY maintenance and upgrade mods because of fewer electronics and easier access. One possible negative is the fuel delivery system - you will be giving up EFI for a carb, but if you don't mind tuning and adjusting then you're good to go. As others have mentioned, EVO parts - stock or performance - are still readily available from third party suppliers.

If you make the swap, know that you will be joining a unique group of rider/owners.

~

Attached Thumbnails Moved from a TC Dyna to an Evo FXR-90-fxrs-sp.jpg  
Old 10-12-2011, 05:37 AM
bucket13
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

O Town - your FXR is beautiful. Gotta ask why you traded it in. That looks like the perfect bike to me!

I am not sure how serious I am about making the move. I love my dyna. I have invested a lot of time, research and $ into my dyna to get it where it is now. I also have a clear plan of my next mods to further improve the handling and comfort. However, I get frustrated because I feel like we shouldn't have to add "band aids" to our dynas to accomplish the rigidity and handling of the FXR.

Quick Reply: Moved from a TC Dyna to an Evo FXR