Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moved from a TC Dyna to an Evo FXR

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bucket13
Artlee, thanks. I see you have an FXR4, that is the model that I am considering. Dealer is offering me a straight up trade for my '09 dyna. Same mileage.
I bought mine for $8200.00 w/ Winter storage from the dealer. This bike was on ebay from Manchester HD. The winning bidder did not come through, I was second highest and wound up with it. Most of the FXR2,3,4's that I have seen seem to be between 8 and 12.
Good luck to you.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:54 AM
bucket13
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Artlee, what was the mileage when u bought it, if u don't mind.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

13,200 miles. Bought it 12/23/09

Old 10-13-2011, 10:40 AM
bucket13
Road Master

man...u guys are killing me!
I thought for sure everyone would admit that the FXR is the best handling HD ever, but would then counter by telling me how much $ I would lose on the trade, and that I would be crazy for giving up the extra cubic inches, the 6 speed tranny and the 49mm front end, not to mention that fact that I have already invested in the True Trac system and Ohlins rear shocks to sure up any frame flex.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Grundlepunch
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought for sure everyone would admit that the FXR is the best handling HD ever, but would then counter by telling me how much $ I would lose on the trade, and that I would be crazy for giving up the extra cubic inches, the 6 speed tranny and the 49mm front end, not to mention that fact that I have already invested in the True Trac system and Ohlins rear shocks to sure up any frame flex.
keep your bike. Sounds like you have it where you want it right?

save up for an fxr and get one when you can afford it.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:34 AM
bucket13
Road Master

Originally Posted by Grundlepunch
keep your bike. Sounds like you have it where you want it right?

save up for an fxr and get one when you can afford it.
lol....yeah, I think I just convinced myself with my last post.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:26 PM
thealaskan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 49mm may be better, not sure, more cubic inches, doesn't much matter until you build the HP into it. Any 80" EVO can be built to 90-95 reliable streetable rwhp, roughly following what H-D used to call Stage IV.

Even FXR's are not flickable sport bikes, and they still need some stiffening up. I installed a fork brace and a race brace (between tranny & eng.) and that stiffened things up about right. No such thing as a True Track back then but it might have helped even more.

What I can tell you is they are fun bikes and comfortable if built right. My FXR4 (owned for 8.5yrs), Stage IV, 3" BDM primary, would bury the speedo in 4th gear at about 6800 rpm (rev limiter). Never ran 5th up much past that but it still had plenty of pull. 600lb bike. Like I said, fun.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:56 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO keep the newer bike due to this reasoning above. If you did trade, pull off the ohlins and other parts and replace with stock then perhaps sell the parts. BTW did you ride the FXR to compare it to your current bike?

Old 10-13-2011, 07:15 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,053 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by O-Town D
I went in the exact opposite direction than what you are contemplating - gave up my FXRS-SP of 20 years (see attached) for my current ride. Off the top, you can expect crisper handling with the FXR, and easier DIY maintenance and upgrade mods because of fewer electronics and easier access. One possible negative is the fuel delivery system - you will be giving up EFI for a carb, but if you don't mind tuning and adjusting then you're good to go. As others have mentioned, EVO parts - stock or performance - are still readily available from third party suppliers.

If you make the swap, know that you will be joining a unique group of rider/owners.

~

nice fxr. Very tasteful. I would keep my dyna and save up to get an fxr or build one. I probably wouldn't buy one I would probably pick up like a daytech fxr frame and go from there

Old 05-27-2020, 08:23 PM
fatchoppers
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no one has mentioned the fatter rear tire on the 06 up

fxr is 130

Quick Reply: Moved from a TC Dyna to an Evo FXR