Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S.E.R.T questions??

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 02:00 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I saw a Power Vision on a bike at a show a couple of months ago, with it being used on bike on a portable dyno as a demo. I spent some time time watching it being used and though I was impressed with the ability to see the live data the ECU was generating I didn't come away feeling it would be any better than a TTS or SEPST for tuning.

For auto tuning with all three systems, the units put the ECU into a kind of diagnostic mode where the target AFR for closed loop is extended, various things are disabled like adapative tuning and then data is collected. You then merge the collected data into the current map and it tweaks the VE tables appropriately. If anything, I'd say that it was a slightly harder process with the Power Vision because you had to manually set more options and tables that are done automatically with the other two units.

I really wouldn't say that any of them would give a better auto tune than the other. As for a dyno tune...they all, again, do pretty much the same thing. You tweak the timing and VE tables and check whether this improves power, no real difference between them. I wouldn't want to do this on the little screen of the Power Vision but plug it into a PC for this.

Where you can get a better self tune though with the Power Vision is if you get the Pro system with the wideband O2 sensors. Gotta say though that if I was going to spend that much extra I'd be better spending that extra cash on dyno time and getting it done properly. After all, you can only tune so much by AFR and guessing that particular AFRs are making best power; without a dyno you really are shooting blind.

So, advantages of the Power Vision are:

Can see live data. Nice geek factor. However, do you really want a display stuck on the front of the bike all the time? What if someone tries to pull it off when parked up thinking its a GPS? And I think the information is going to lose its interest quickly.

It comes with more canned maps for different hardware combinations than the SEPST. But if all you are going to use is a canned map then you are severely under-utilizing any of these units.

Can get the Pro version with wideband sensors. Kinda nice, but if you are going to that bother then dyno time will serve you better. Might be handy though is you live somewhere really remote and can't get to a dyno. Even then you are guessing at best AFR, you really don't know its making good power.

Last edited by Foxster; 10-10-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:36 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 380 Posts

well. fuelmoto writes a specific map for the mods I have done. They asked specific manufactures of the parts I have on the bike. said they would have a map on there for me.

also. I asked about the mout thing. it is not perm... once you flash the bike you take it off the bike. the mount is if you want to use it as a tach or any other gauge you can think of really. but it does not have to be hooked up in order to work. hook it up, flash the ecm. then unplug it and roll out.

I just bought one. I just want something that will tune my bike pretty close. For $549 I got the powervision and stage 1 intake, with map loaded for my bike.

with sert. I would have gotten it for $440 plus cost of intake and then 2 hours install price at the stealer. just to put a canned map on it. then if i didnt like how it runs, I would have to spend 300-500 more bucks at the dealer to get dyno time. not really trying to get hit for 1000 bucks just to change the a/f ratio of the bike. Plus I can change the ecm when ever I get anything new.

I like the powervisions options and price point, so I bought that.

thanks for the info everyone and I will post up when I get it installed. should be here late this week.