Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 01:32 PM
OkieLongHair
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna Suspension upgrade

I've got an '06 Dyna Wide Glide, with the 49mm forks, and I'm planning on upgrading the suspension over the winter. I have 25K miles, and I am looking for a better ride & control. Ive looked at progressive shocks, Ricor valves & shocks, and Ohlins ($$!!) anyone with experience please let me know what worked for you.
Thanks.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:31 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Im running progressive 970's, the ride is awesome and only half the price of the piggyback ohlins. I have progressive springs for front but haven't installed them yet

Old 10-07-2011, 02:40 PM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant say enough good things about my works suspension. I have the blacktracker rear shocks (+1/2") with triple rate springs up front. It is night and day over stock. I've said this before, but you just dont know how lacking the stock suspenion really is untill you ride performance shocks and springs. But i would say most shocks are going to be better than stock, save for the cheap progressives, i hear they are not much better than the stock. But thats all hear say on the progressive 412's. But im sure the top of the line progressives are as good as works, ohlins, ricors.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:39 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

+1 on the Works triple rated front springs.
I also have the Ricor intiminators in the front.
I have Works streettrackers in the rear.
I spent $1000.00 and did the work myself.
Night and day.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:04 PM
DutchBob
Cruiser

Ricor Intiminators and shocks for me, they do make an amazing difference.
Very comfortable on bumps and a great ride in the twisties.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:40 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DutchBob
Ricor Intiminators and shocks for me, they do make an amazing difference.
Very comfortable on bumps and a great ride in the twisties.
Ditto for me. The entire front and rear cost about $1000, but easy to install and made a world of difference. I ordered the race tuned 13.5" rear shocks built for my weight, the exact set-up that Brian at Ricor had on his own Dyna. He out weighed me by 10 pounds, but a lot of my riding included a 110 pound lady. These shocks handled either situation without further adjustment.

Looking for that last bit of handling finesse, I later installed a front and rear Sputhe Positrac.

I like my bikes to handle to their potential. What looks cool in the parking lot isn't important to me. As it sits now, my Dyna has zero handling issues at any speed or road condition. My only limitation is the floorboards dragging on curves, but I could probably eliminate that by going back to pegs.

I know that Ohlins are top of the line and have been the way to go for decades. However, I think that Ricor, with their patented inertia suspension, is a break through design that is hard to beat, not to mention that they are made in the USA.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:02 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

30mm Ohlins cartridges & Ohlins #6 work on my bike. After Daytona a brand new S&S 124 EFI will slip in between a set of my WideGlide C/F wheels along with the wide stance fork triple trees. Composite fenders will cover the 130 X 16" & 160 X 16" rear tires. Wheels/tires are next to the bike. Adapters need to be made for the rear as I am figuring right now @ 5:02 am. That is all I got.

Looking at Jamie's tuner kit last night.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Jay Risk
Tourer
Default For Performance...

I have Ohlins shocks on the rear and Ohlins 30mm drop-in cartridges in the front forks. Dual front brakes and 95" stage II build. With that set-up I have a 630 lb bike(an '06 Streetbob, btw) that keeps up with the sportbikes on Tail of the Dragon and lets me ride 11 hour days on cross country trips with no fatigue. Seriously- I hung out with two guys on Triumph Triple Sports for 6 hours and had no trouble on the back roads of western north carolina. And 10,000 miles this summer on long trips. I can't say enough about how much the Ohlins suspension has improved the bike. Check out MotorcycleMetal.com for different options on Ohlins products for Harley.
If I were starting on improvements today for my bike, I'd get the front end package Howard has on his website that includes dual brake set-up and Ohlins cartridges up front and Ohlins shocks on the rear. If $$ kept me from doing it all at once(it did), I'd do it over time. But I'd do it Good luck. Jay

Old 10-08-2011, 10:52 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by stilup
+1 on the Works triple rated front springs.
I also have the Ricor intiminators in the front.
I have Works streettrackers in the rear.
I spent $1000.00 and did the work myself.
Night and day.
Did you install both the Ricors and spring together or separately? I have the Ricors with stock springs and the OEM spacers cut down a half inch to account for the height of the Ricors and running the reccomended amount of 10wt Amsoil. I would say they do perform better than stock but I didn't get the OMG that's amazing feel that I was expecting. Although I have noticed that on a few larger bumps that I would expect the forks to bottom - they didn't, just absorbed the impact and kept on going.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:56 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

p51bombbay I did install the ricor and the triple rate springs at the same time.
I also used the 10 wt Amsoil.
The good thing about using the upgraded springs is that they are maintainable and also the rear Works Streetracker nitrogen shocks are also maintainable with the ability to be rebuilt fairly cheap compared to buying new.

Quick Reply: Dyna Suspension upgrade