Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 02:35 AM
hacksawsgarage
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

actually i am thinking about putting a street bob fender on my dyna C.
i have the harley accessory short shocks currently. they are too harsh, but i dont want to raise the bike. so i am now leaning toward the 11.5 ohlins.
i have my legs dropped a bit in the trees, but i may lower them a bit more.

i never liked this front end. its too high. to heavy on my ankle when i lean it trying to park or move it around the garage. it wants to flop. plus it never seemed aligned quite right to me.

an earlier replier take note. there are 2 grades of HD fork oil.
stock, SE, and SE race.
stock was leaving a mist on my tubes. harley put in SE. thats was 3k miles ago, and i think that has slowly dissipitated.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:27 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Question?

Originally Posted by hacksawsgarage
an earlier replier take note. there are 2 grades of HD fork oil.
stock, SE, and SE race.
stock was leaving a mist on my tubes. harley put in SE. thats was 3k miles ago, and i think that has slowly dissipitated.
Please explain "stock" (viscosity?) was leaving a mist on my tubes.

<<<
* Where is the "mist" oil on the fork?
* What would be HD reasoning to just put in Screamin' Eagle/15 weight & removing the "E" 5 weight?
* Am I reading the 5W does leak up behind the oil seal but the SE 15W does not?

Type "E" is 5 weight - the lightest one, Type "B" is 10 weight, Type "screamin' eagle" is 15 weight. Type "screamin' eagle racing oil" is 20 weight.

Last edited by FastHarley; 10-30-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:08 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MJGomz
I'm 260 lbs so it's no surprise that the stock shocks are bottoming consistently. I've been back and forth between Ohlins and Works and this thread has been pushing more towards the Ohlins (looks + performance); however, I've been looking at the Progressive 970s with the Piggyback reservoir. Anyone who has installed these have any feedback? Pricing and technology seem competitive to the Ohlins and Works shocks I've seen people using on their Dynas. They look clean and I believe they come in 12.5" only, which is .5" over stock. This may be the direction I go if I don't start hearing horror stories before Christmas. I figured these new 970s might as well be part of the discussion. There doesn't seem much point comparing any other Progressive shock with the Works or Ohlins. Any input is much appreciated. I'm trying my best to do things right the first time.
why spend the same money for an off the shelve shock when you can have one custom tuned to your weight and riding style. Really, which do you think will perform better for you...one built for you or one not. Yes the progressive 970 does look good.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:03 AM
billjoat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by afoulsmell
Big boned? Yeah, I need to lose some fat. 50 pounds would be good. But my bike is still going to bottom out with me at 250 and my wife at 150. Hell- that's a hundred more than it's bottoming out at now. Can't imagine- good thing she won't go for a ride with me :-) My kids are right around a hundred. I have to take the bumps really gingerly. I know most of you who will read this are riders of newer bikes, and you have them tricked out with all kinds of mods and customizations, so I'm wondering how many are familiar with an older bike like mine. I'm curious to know if mine degraded with time, or was the suspension of a 98 just that poor? It doesn't make sense to me that 330 lbs of load would cause that much bottoming. Oh well- thanks for the info.

I think, with a big emphasis on think, that your stock shocks may be just worn out. I'm 260 with my wife @190 and my 2010 FXDWG has never bottomed out.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:19 AM
woznotwoz
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've fitted FL air shocks on my bike and I reckon they are spot. I purchased them brand new. (they were ex display from a Harley dealer and cost me £65 which I suppose is about $100). I didn't want to link them and fitted each one with it's own schreder valve.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:20 AM
woznotwoz
Cruiser

Sorry I didn't mean to post this twice.. My broadband connection was that slow I didn't realise my first attempt had been accepted. I have tried to delete this post but I don't know how to...............Sorry

Last edited by woznotwoz; 10-31-2011 at 04:25 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:24 PM
hacksawsgarage
Cruiser

i meant to say 2 kinds of SE fork oil.

in reality i have cans (it used to come ina metal can) and bottles long and thin, of harley fork oil. so they have changed considerable over he years.

i dont recall 5w currently coming stock in todays bikes. maybe it does, so i appologize for not being aware of that.

i assumed the 2008 dyna came with type B. i think thats what the chart in the dealers showed. again, i think they put SE in my bike. it was a bit harsher riding, but okay. it didnt pick up the dirt on the fork tubes like the stock fluid did, but it did leave a ring where the sliders topped out. my front end feels like it is dampening is down considerably. likely from long term loss of fluid.

Originally Posted by FastHarley
Please explain "stock" (viscosity?) was leaving a mist on my tubes.

<<<
* Where is the "mist" oil on the fork?
* What would be HD reasoning to just put in Screamin' Eagle/15 weight & removing the "E" 5 weight?
* Am I reading the 5W does leak up behind the oil seal but the SE 15W does not?

Type "E" is 5 weight - the lightest one, Type "B" is 10 weight, Type "screamin' eagle" is 15 weight. Type "screamin' eagle racing oil" is 20 weight.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:27 PM
hacksawsgarage
Cruiser

Originally Posted by woznotwoz
Sorry I didn't mean to post this twice.. My broadband connection was that slow I didn't realise my first attempt had been accepted. I have tried to delete this post but I don't know how to...............Sorry

looks good! how do they perform? wich actual shock is it, and what psi do u run them with?

Old 11-01-2011, 04:07 AM
woznotwoz
Cruiser

Hi Part number is 54565-97c They are quite expensive new, but luckily I purchased mine 'ex display' so got a hefty discount though saying that I do believe they come up on Ebay from time to time at great prices. I run them about 15psi solo and 20psi plus with a pillion, but that will depend on what suits the individual. Some people run them linked to each other but I much prefer the look of having an individual schreder valve in each shock. The schreder valve size is 1/8 NPT.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:53 PM
afoulsmell
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by billjoat
I think, with a big emphasis on think, that your stock shocks may be just worn out. I'm 260 with my wife @190 and my 2010 FXDWG has never bottomed out.

So if I'm reading you correctly, I don't have to lose weight, just replace the stock shocks? AWESOME! I think that's the more likely outcome :-)