Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 06:30 PM
Ricor Shocks
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rounder
IMO your making a mistake not getting the Ohlins for the rear. OH, works has a drop in cartridge system for the front mow instead of juts a spring upgrade...probably a great choice for the money... http://www.worksperformance.com/html/new_products.html

at the bottom of the page I linked...
Ohlin are flat out better shocks.... http://76.162.149.2/gpage31.html
I have the 12" #2 and they cost less than Ricor and ride better. Contact howard and talk to him about the shocks! I did get to ride Ricors for a year or so and they are a good shock but not as soft and stable as the Ohlins. The Ricors bottom easier or you have to make the ride firmer to get the less bottoming effect. They also just do not respond as fast and keep the ride as smooth over stutter bumps of bumps in corners. They do look very nice though. You can see the Ricors in my signature. I am comparing 'apple to apple' 12" shocks. Frankly, with Ohlins you can keep a 12" shock(or 11 5/8") and get a ride the other companies require a longer shock to attempt to rival. I painted my ends of the Ohlins with appliance gloss black to look great on my bike... the springs can be removed without any tools easily.
Hey Matt,

I thought you were happy with your RICOR's.

Ricor makes some great products... Shocks are fantastic and the intiminators are darn good too. I still would rather have a good adjustable front end over the intiminators though.
I had Ohlins before these shocks...Mud did too. My Ohlins were the basic low cost Ohlins (640 dollar ones...#2 here... http://76.162.149.2/gpage31.html ). Comparatively, the Ricor weigh a little less, look way better on my bike, are super easy to adjust the preload(just turn the shock by hand) and they ride equal to the Ohlins. I have the sport tuned version. To me you can't go wrong with either Ohlin or Ricor on ride quality and stability/handling. Really depends on what shock you would like to see on your bike from a visual standpoint. Couple more points to consider... The Ricor sag more under bike weight alone than my Ohlins did. So the bike is lower while sitting on it's sidestand. I compared 12" version of each shock. With the Ohlins, the Ohlins sat higher up then my body weight would sag the shock more to get the correct sag. Also when riding 2up, increasing the preload to handle 2 passengers would cause the shock to raise the bike up even more to the point where the bike would only sag about 2mm and the rest of the sag was produced by the rider and passenger. When I increase the preload on the Ricor, the bike does not raise up from the increased preload nearly at all. The Ricor does ride better under less sag than the Ohlins do. So you can firm up the shock to have very little rider sag and still get a great sporty ride. If I try to ride the Ohlins at say 25% sag, they are very stiff compared to the Ricor. Ultimately, I can actually ride the Ricor at the same setting as my 2up setting and still get a good ride, where the Ohlins were much more sensitive to this. Makes things easy as I can ride the Ricor and get a good sporty ride, then my wife can just jump on and the ride will be set up for more comfort without having to adjust the shocks. Basically I can set the preload at about 25% for solo riding, and with my 110lb wife added, the shocks end up around 33% or so (not exact measurements but pretty close).

Also don't you guys worry about getting your shocks... The Ricor shop is smaller than Ohlin, works , etc.... so right now it can be hard to get ahold of him. These shocks just launched earlier this year. Be patient, you'll get the shocks and love em! Brian will answer emails pretty quickly. We have conversed back and forth on several occasionson email and by phone. Just relax, you'll get the shocks and be completely satisfied! It's not like you can't still ride with the current shocks till the Ricors arrive.
I have progressive spring(lowering kind). I hated them till I got the intiminators installed. go to Ricor and get the intiminators and use your stock springs. It may be more of a project to install the intiminators and set em up just right, but, once you do you'll love your front end. Also upon checkout type HD Forums in the coupon box and they sell for 225 or something like that. Also I would get the works front spring kit way before the progressive ones if your not lowering the front end. One thing that is a problem with progressive springs(progressive wound that is) is that they actually perform poorly on big hits like a pothole or some such thing. Linear rate spring are much better in that regard. IMHO, buy Works spring kit or maybe even better is getting some racetech springs. The racetech spring are purchased based on your weight. One thing about racetech, they kinda recommend a heavier spring than you may like so get the spring designed for you weighing about 30 lbs less.
I suggest Ricor shocks... built to your weight and riding style... best shocks I have ever rode on(I used to have Ohlins).
Got to put some miles on the Ricor shocks today. I am super impressed. This is a 12" shock with less travel than the Ohlins I have(about 1/2" less). I tell you the ride is awesome. The shocks suck up the bumps big and small alike. Now the problem, my front end still sucks in comparison. I have intiminators up there and just do not like the way it rides. I did find that taking off my superbrace improved matters significantly(the brace caused stiction). The front still is just too darn harsh. What can one do to get the front to ride like the rear? I dunno what I need to do. Maybe I'm just expecting too much.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:18 PM
jpsully77
Stage III
Wink Thumbs up for Ohlins

Hey guys,

I've lurked for a long time, this is my first post. I ride a 2009 Fatbob, and this spring swapped the rear fender for a 2010 wideglide fender which sits closer to the tire, and tended to bottom out. That combined with dissatisfaction with the stock shocks, especially turning on crappy New England roads, sent me looking at new ones.

After a bit of research (a lot on hdforums) I called motorcyclemetal.com and talked to Howard. He asked a LOT of questions, made a few suggestions, and I went with his expertise and the Ohlins. The difference in the ride was immediate, but now that I've put about 800 miles on em the difference is huge. They stick to the road over bumps and through holes, and braking is even and consistent in the rough stuff. The wheel is just stuck on the road, and I am a lot less fatigued after long rides.

I have zero affiliation with motorcycle metal or Ohlins, just a satisfied rider. Howard builds them for you and how you ride, and walks you through installation and adjustment. I love the way I can feel the road, but dont get jarred on the bumpy stuff. Sorry for the crappy picture - I would post better ones if I could take better ones!!!

Thanks all for the guidance - Next year its the forks!!!

Attached Thumbnails Dyna Suspension upgrade-fb1.jpg  
Old 10-18-2011, 09:27 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricor Shocks
Hey Matt,

I thought you were happy with your RICOR's.
great shocks for sure. After a year of riding since my initial reviews and then switching back, the Ohlins do offer a more plush and more responsive ride with less (non-existent)bottoming. Both are incredibly stable and really give a good feel around corners. Yours look very stylish on a blacked out bike. Your finish is top notch. Can't go wrong either way, but I give the ride quality to the Ohlins overall.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:53 PM
afoulsmell
Road Captain

I ride a 98 Super Glide with Wide Glide front end. I am a fat bastard (6'2-300), and I bottom out often. Seems like I'm always hitting my jiffy-stand on stuff. I adjusted the springs, which I'm guessing are stock, all the way out. They seemed to work better for awhile (maybe it was wishful thinking), and then it was worse. I've read this thread and I do notice that my wheels sometimes bounce a bit in turns as I hit uneven pavement. I'm real unhappy with the ride quality. I'm not sure what all I need to do. I'm on this old bike for a reason- it was cheap enough as far as bikes go. I don't have the money to buy what I consider expensive shocks. I'm hoping some sage out there can tell me what the best, cheapest option is. I want to go to "awesome-ride-land" like you fellas, I just need to do it on the cheap- hopefully under $150. Any suggestions would be most appreciated, and any "read every thread under the sun before asking" answers get a BIOYA in advance ;-) Thanks-

Old 10-18-2011, 07:02 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by afoulsmell
I ride a 98 Super Glide with Wide Glide front end. I am a fat bastard (6'2-300), and I bottom out often. Seems like I'm always hitting my jiffy-stand on stuff. I adjusted the springs, which I'm guessing are stock, all the way out. They seemed to work better for awhile (maybe it was wishful thinking), and then it was worse. I've read this thread and I do notice that my wheels sometimes bounce a bit in turns as I hit uneven pavement. I'm real unhappy with the ride quality. I'm not sure what all I need to do. I'm on this old bike for a reason- it was cheap enough as far as bikes go. I don't have the money to buy what I consider expensive shocks. I'm hoping some sage out there can tell me what the best, cheapest option is. I want to go to "awesome-ride-land" like you fellas, I just need to do it on the cheap- hopefully under $150. Any suggestions would be most appreciated, and any "read every thread under the sun before asking" answers get a BIOYA in advance ;-) Thanks-
Been covered already but for what you are looking for at the pricepoint you are looking for I think a set of standard height (13") HD air shocks would take care of the problem. Although I am nowhere near 300lbs, I do ride 2up near that weight and it still handles just fine, you will be on the upper end of the scale as far as air pressure goes (probably 35-40lbs) but the newer 2009+ shocks can handle that. I find them to geve a nice smooth controlled ride and they have never done anything bad - only bottom on the really BIG bumps and the best part is they can be had dirt cheap comepared to the ones being discussed. I got a pair of new take offs on ebay for just $52 and spend another $55 for the line kit and quick-air fittings and I would recommend you spend the extra $49 on a pump from HD which puts you right at your $150 budget plus or minus depending what your shocks end up at and whether you go somewhere like Zanotti for the other stuff.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:33 PM
afoulsmell
Road Captain

Thanks to you, P51. I will check that out. I was hoping there were some advances in designs since mine was made, so that I might be able to just get a different version of the same basic thing. But I will read up on what you're suggesting in order to be able to wrap my mind around it. Air shocks on a bike seems weird to me, but I know they're used- it's just that I didn't ever think I'd have something like that.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:33 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by afoulsmell
awesome ride and a firm shock not bottoming out are two different things. like comparing the ride of an S class Mercedes to a pickup. speed cost money, high end suspension costs money. You can probably stop bottoming out with your budget with the air shocks suggested or maybe search ebay or forum classifieds for some used heavy duty progressive 412s in 12" or 12.5". I think the heavy duty progressive 412 in 12" or 12.5" will not be all that bad for your weight but no where near as supple a ride with the added stability a shock like Ohlin and Ricor can deliver. The progressive will be a good step up from stock for your weight for sure.

Last edited by rounder; 10-19-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Ricor Shocks
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by p51bombay
Been covered already but for what you are looking for at the pricepoint you are looking for I think a set of standard height (13") HD air shocks would take care of the problem. Although I am nowhere near 300lbs, I do ride 2up near that weight and it still handles just fine, you will be on the upper end of the scale as far as air pressure goes (probably 35-40lbs) but the newer 2009+ shocks can handle that. I find them to geve a nice smooth controlled ride and they have never done anything bad - only bottom on the really BIG bumps and the best part is they can be had dirt cheap comepared to the ones being discussed. I got a pair of new take offs on ebay for just $52 and spend another $55 for the line kit and quick-air fittings and I would recommend you spend the extra $49 on a pump from HD which puts you right at your $150 budget plus or minus depending what your shocks end up at and whether you go somewhere like Zanotti for the other stuff.

I'm not trying to sell shocks here but do feel that for the good of the forum members I need to talk about the dangers of running these shocks on a Dyna. Although you may be able to get close to the spring rate that you need by airing them up they have less than half the damping required. They may feel good on small bumps because they have very little compression damping but danger is with the bigger bumps. You can blow through the travel and bottom out so fast at the very least you will bend bolts. I have done it. I have hit so hard with these that I have flown scary high out of the seat, this was on the same bumps I normally hit every day.

If you are looking for replacement shocks on a tight budget check out e-bay or the classifieds on here for take offs but for your safety I would recommend that you don't run touring air shocks on a Dyna.

Brian

Old 10-19-2011, 06:48 PM
mracer
Advanced

sounds like pretty fair advise- much appreciated.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:27 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Air Shocks

I guess I will throw in my 2 cents. This is how they work and this is what is inside of them. Why do you think that the dresser guys toss them in the garbage?

Please read "Basic: What's The Difference in Shocks and How They Work?"
LINK

Quick Reply: Dyna Suspension upgrade