Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

streetbob trees to fat bob trees

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 02:45 AM
Tat2u
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

i've done it, cool mod, i put on the factory black trees and coated my lowers, machined up spacers for the rotor, axle and fender.... awesome, nice and wide but no extra rake, didnt want the extra rake..

search for FULL write up on the mod if you want

Old 10-20-2011, 03:09 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

If you guys can id love to see pics of this mod with a 16 inch front wheel. I am thinking of doing this also. At minimum doing the fat bob lowers so I can add another disc for braking power. thanks to the OP for posting this forum .. hopefully some of you all have pics.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:55 AM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

My signature picture is a Street Bob with Fat Bob trees and 16 inch wheel. I kept the Street Bob forks and lowers, brakes and spacers. Electra-Glide axle and Fat Bob axle are the same so buy the cheapest on eBay. The lowers will accept 1 inch or 25mm (2008 & newer) axles.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:38 AM
KentFXD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your objective is just to switch to standard handlebar risers, it is a LOT easier and cheaper just to swap in the superglide top triple tree. It is a straight replacement, no other mods needed.

If you want the wider trees, you can use the fxdf trees, axle and wheel/tire, and reuse all your other SB parts, including SB sliders and single disc brake (you just need about a 4-5mm spacer for the caliper to line up)

Cheers,
Kent

Old 10-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Kev_England
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dagg's how-to on this is excellant.

But I have other questions. I am going to buy new wheels anyhow for my FXD.

To keep the costs down I wanted to stay with one brake caliper (plus it will allow seeing the new chrome wheel better) and re-use my forks.
I am leaning towards 18" wheels front and back (5.5" wide wheel on rear with 180mm wide tire).
I've done the rear turn sig wire mod for 180mm tire.
Can I bolt on a Wide Glide wheel on the front without having to make spacers for the caliper or disk?
If not what size wheel can I get on the front--Im guessing 3.5 or 3.25" wide but what about hub size?
If I can go with the Wide Glide wheel I'll probably go with the 19" since I havent seen a 18" version available for it.
Cheers.

Edit - hopefully this makes sense!

Last edited by Kev_England; 10-20-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:06 AM
Big Kev-O
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kev_England
Dagg's how-to on this is excellant.

But I have other questions. I am going to buy new wheels anyhow for my FXD.

To keep the costs down I wanted to stay with one brake caliper (plus it will allow seeing the new chrome wheel better) and re-use my forks.
I am leaning towards 18" wheels front and back (5.5" wide wheel on rear with 180mm wide tire).
I've done the rear turn sig wire mod for 180mm tire.
Can I bolt on a Wide Glide wheel on the front without having to make spacers for the caliper or disk?
If not what size wheel can I get on the front--Im guessing 3.5 or 3.25" wide but what about hub size?
If I can go with the Wide Glide wheel I'll probably go with the 19" since I havent seen a 18" version available for it.
Cheers.

Edit - hopefully this makes sense!

Yes you can bolt up a wide glide wheel and use your brake disc and caliper without needing spacers. You will need to switch out your triple trees to fit the wide glide wheel and use a wide glide axle with wide glide axle spacers. It will all work perfectly. But be advised all wide glide wheels are not exactly the same. If you use a OEM harley wide glide wheel it should work perfect with the OEM wide glide axle and spacers(20mm & 26mm), BUT some after market wide glide hubs are not offset like OEM H.D. and will require two equil size 7/8" spacers(22.225mm). I have a 16x3.5 wheel & 150 tire up front. You can go wider on the front with a 18".

BTW: I have a set of stock 06 streetbob triple trees that have fresh new black powdercoat listed on ebay right now if anyone wants the black trees without going wide. They are not the ugly integrated riser type. Anyone from this forum gets free shipping.

Picture comming tomorrow about mid day.

Last edited by Big Kev-O; 10-21-2011 at 05:21 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:52 PM
KentFXD
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Big Kev-O
Yes you can bolt up a wide glide wheel and use your brake disc and caliper without needing spacers. You will need to switch out your triple trees to fit the wide glide wheel and use a wide glide axle with wide glide axle spacers. It will all work perfectly (snip)
This true only if you swap out the sliders as well. The 2010+ WG uses a different LH slider than the Street Bob (RH slider is the same, caliper is the same)... The difference being that the caliper mounting tabs on the LH WG slider are positioned about 4mm further *inboard* than they are on the SB. This is why you need a spacer on the caliper when reusing the SB sliders, even if you use WG trees and a WG wheel/axle/ axle spacers.

Cheers,
Kent

Old 10-21-2011, 06:00 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gordo68
Hi, I would like to know if anyone has replaced their 2010 streetbob triple trees with fatbob triple trees?. what's involved and can it be done. I am thinking of changing my bars to 12 or 14 apes, and though that changing the trees would give me a wider choice of bars. Is the rake or trial changed if so how much? also I am keeping the standard front wheel. If anyone has done this could you please post a pic so I can see what it looks like before handing over heaps of coin. Thanks Gordo
IMO the money involved is just not worth it. Oh, for new apes, get Burly narrow apes. Flat out best looking apes on a streetbob(or even a night train).

Old 10-22-2011, 02:48 AM
Tat2u
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

it only cost me $250 to fit the new trees and axle so money well spent

Old 10-22-2011, 03:07 AM
gordo68
Novice

Thanks for all the info, at the moment I am thinking of doing an engine up grade so the wider front end may have to wait due to lack of coin to do both

Quick Reply: streetbob trees to fat bob trees