Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One week in, a couple questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011 | 08:09 PM
joesoxca
|
Advanced
Default One week in, a couple questions.

So closing in on 600 miles for the first week on the new 2012 FXDC. Gassed her up today due to guage and fuel light, did 190 miles from previous fill up, 3.7 gallons topping off. Didn't seem right, went to the dealership to go merch shopping and schedule my 1k and get a quote for forwards installed. Decided to top off once I got back just to check. 65 miles, 1.11 gallons and I swear I topped it off even higher.

So 53 mpg combo city/country driving. With traffic mixed in. I've been running in a lower gear if anything since I haven't heard if lugging is as major a problem for the twin cams as people talked about on the sportster engines. Usually cruising 2800-3300, remember reading a few say they roll about 2500-3000. Jumping on it solid from every stop, creating gaps and stabbing it on one lanes, so haven't been nursing it much at all since going over 250 miles. Not flogging it just yet either though.

So a few questions.
1) Is this normal and they just have to way underquote the sticker combo number?

2) I've filled up twice with gas light on and under 15 miles on the range reading, couldn't get more than 4 gallons in the "empty" 5 gallon tank. This a product of sensor imprecision or how they measure tank volume?

3) What is the lugging/ideal cruising rpm range? I can feel the slugishness in throttle response till about 2600 rpms in 4th+, so I assume it's around there, but I'm not touching 6th unless I'm doing about 75 which seems a bit excessive. (Btw slugishness with a slow roll, not jumping on the throttle at low rpms for the fear of lugging)

4) Was talking to the service manager the other day and he said they've found great results on the 96' tcs doing the stage 1 103 map as opposed to the 96' stage 1. Also said not to bother with the xied if I was going to stage 1 in the next 6 months and that if I wanted to just add slip-ons for the time being the stock maps are more than fine for it. This all seem right?

5) He also reccomended with the stage 1 possibly skipping the map, pay for the SE tuner and dyno tune so I can use the softwares ability to road tune down the road instead of messing with a power commander and auto tuner. What he was saying price wise made it sound pretty reasonable but haven't heard anything about the SE road tuning before so didn't know if it was as viable as the auto tunes. Anyone have experience with both?

Still absolutely in love with the bike, the only regret so far is some times I think it's too pretty and I spend too much time cleaning her because of it. Slowly learning the Harley nuiances (they really are a different animal), so forgive any ignorance on my part.

Old 10-04-2011 | 08:18 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Stage 1 should pep her up but as far as tuners id look into the Power Vision that's supported by Fuelmoto. If your happy with it leave it alone.

Old 10-07-2011 | 04:42 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member

Motorcycles almost always get less MPG than manufacturers claim. Its nothing new. If I get between 36 and 40 mpg at high altitude I am doing well. I used to hear guys in arizona complain that there gas mileage went to hell when it got hot. 32 MPG there was not uncommon in summer. +1 on the stage one mod. it really wakes the bike up.

Old 10-07-2011 | 04:48 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member

nothing wrong with a pretty bike IMO. If my legs weren't so broke up id look into one of these myself. Really like the light weight of the SB for me its essential. You will learn when to shift and what RPMS you like to cruise at as you get more experience on your bike. I like to cruise at 75 MPH in 6th but downshift to 3rd or 4th gear for getting out of the way passing power. Pretty much everything you asked about seems right on to me. A lot of times its just personal preference.

Old 10-07-2011 | 05:59 PM
Harley Tim
Road Master

Congrats on the new scoot.... you're gonna love the ride!

For me... crusin' at 2600 to 3200 RPM is the "sweet spot". Stop & go...or in traffic..2800 to 3800 RPM keeps it peppy, with plenty left. 3200 RPM in 6th is 80+ MPH so...Enjoy!

Best wishes Tim..(HT)

P.S. Get a Tach. well worth the money for a serious rider.

Old 10-07-2011 | 06:27 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member

OP--Don't worry about the fuel gauge or trip computer. Just keep a running log of your fuel fills, so you can average your MPG. You'll know when to fillup by the trip odometer. Spot checks at ONE gallon are completely meaningless. If you modify your motor your mileage will likely drop.

Also forget the tach. You don't need to know what the RPM's are. Just listen to your motor--it will always tell you when you should shift.

Old 10-07-2011 | 06:47 PM
dyna rider
Club Member
Veteran: Army
Default Sweet Spot

If you are 2000 rpm or lower, you are lugging the motor. If you "jump" on it at that rpm it will come up slow. If you are about 2600 it will come up OK but it is better at 3000.

Old 10-07-2011 | 06:49 PM
dondee
Tourer

Originally Posted by lo-rider
OP--Don't worry about the fuel gauge or trip computer. Just keep a running log of your fuel fills, so you can average your MPG. You'll know when to fillup by the trip odometer. Spot checks at ONE gallon are completely meaningless. If you modify your motor your mileage will likely drop.

Also forget the tach. You don't need to know what the RPM's are. Just listen to your motor--it will always tell you when you should shift.
+1 on this about no tach. I am always amazed when guys start talking about a tach on a run of the mill Harley. Maybe if you had a high RPM modified motor that was on the ragged edge all the time and was likely to hand grenade beyond a certain RPM, but otherwise no I just don't see it. If I couldn't ride the darn thing by sound and feel I'd just pass. I don't need another distraction from the idiots around me in cars conspiring to bring about my destruction. Good grief.

My '11 FXDC has a low fuel light if you forget. Doesn't yours? Other than running out, who cares about fuel mileage?

Old 10-07-2011 | 07:16 PM
dirtdreamer50
Elite HDF Member

+1 on what lo-rider said.

I had a tach on both a street glide and road glide i previously owned. it was fun to see the rpm.

on my 11 super glide custom, i have no tach and am glad. i shift when it feel right, depending on the traffic situation.

it has made riding more enjoyable, because i have one less thing to think about, the rpm.... tomp dd50

Old 10-07-2011 | 07:32 PM
Tinsleytown
Cruiser

You can't rely on that range reading... On a long leg of our ride last weekend my range said I had plenty of fuel to make the 80 miles to the next town... About 3/4 way into the ride I was showing empty... Made it to the next gas station and only filled up 3.5 gallons on a 5 gallon tank. My trip odometer showed I had plenty of fuel left...

Also, unless you plan on drag racing your bike don't waste the money on the dyno.

Quick Reply: One week in, a couple questions.