Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! Bolt stuck trying to install lowering blocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 07:07 PM
WG2011
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default HELP!!! Bolt stuck trying to install lowering blocks

Long story short I was trying to install lowering blocks on my bike and while installing the bolt that is threaded into the swing arm it seezed up on me everything was going fine and it all of a sudden started getting tight before it was all the way in so I stoped and tryed to back the bolt out and it got extremely stuck and now I am starting to strip the head of the bolt trying to get it out. I am stuck not sure where to go from here and extremely bummed about it. Any tips advice for me? Do I need to bring it in somewhere and have them drill it out or... Thanks in advance.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:22 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,770 Likes on 2,533 Posts

Sounds like it seized up in the hole, drilling out is the most viable option at this point. Will probably have to tap out some new threads after you get the old bolt out. Prior to installing the new bolt put some anti-seize on the threads.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:42 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're stripping the head of the bolt, you're using the wrong tool, wrong size or low quality. Get the right SAE or metric size socket or wrench for the bolt and finish backing it out. You'll only need to drill the stud if the head of the bolt actually breaks from the stud. Once the bolt is out you'll need to chase the threads with a tap and get a new bolt. You may need a thread repair like a heli-coil if the hole is too damaged. If the head snaps from the stud as you're removing the bolt, and you don't have experience drilling a stud and using an easy-out, take your bike to a machine shop or you may cause greater damage.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:52 PM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

put a little heat on it

Old 10-04-2011, 08:04 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperFastGlide
put a little heat on it
I thought the same thing. Use a propane torch, one you would use for plumbing. I have used heat many time when a bolt is stuck and the heat will allow it to pull right out. Just protect whats behind it if possible.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:04 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperFastGlide
put a little heat on it
Not on the bolt, on the part it is threaded into.

Craftsman makes tools for removing bolts if you have stripped the head.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:23 PM
WG2011
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks guys I really appriciate the information!! I have been googling and alot of ppl say to use heat I just can't heat the swing arm itself however do to the fact it will destroy the paint onj the swing arm. So you can't just heat the bolt and have the bolt transfer some heat? I am going to sleep on it and possibly take some cracks at it tommorrow after work. I did not try super hard to get the bolt out due to the fact it started rounding out the hex head on the bolt. I think I may try a round vise grips and some heat to see if I can back it out that way.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:27 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

You can try heating the bolt, but usually you heat the part that is gripping the part you want to remove, heat causes expansion, if you expand the bolt it may or may not work.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:30 PM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,635 Likes on 678 Posts

How are you installing the blocks? Are you trying the one at a time way? If so, there could be pressure from the shock on the bolt. I highly doubt it would put enough pressure on it to cause what you're seeing, but who knows.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:35 PM
rebeldriver
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your going to sleep on it, give it a good drink of penitrating oil first !!!

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Bolt stuck trying to install lowering blocks