Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil question..

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 05:55 AM
cam-921
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil question..

First off, I have tried the search but way too many threads and none with the answer I'm looking for. The wide glide is almost at 1k. I want to do this and all services myself. The manual says 20w50 for engine and chaincase oil for tranny and primary but I have seen many on this forum using the same in " all 3 holes". On the HD website it says syn3 is good for all 3 but what about dino oil. Can I put a dino 20w50 in all 3? It would just seem more convenient to buy a case or 2 of one oil... also the manual says you have to replace gasket and o-rings every change...is this really needed?

Old 09-28-2011, 06:03 AM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The way I see it is:
HD uses 20/50 in the engine and primary, so do I!
They use Gear oil in the trans, So do I!

I'll bet you can use corn oil in the trans, but would you??
Just stick to what they use, its not like its a added expense, its just as easy to use gear oil. I use all Amsoil and love it.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:12 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,926 Likes on 1,259 Posts

What oil should I use?

Old 09-28-2011, 06:33 AM
11bDad
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldMike
What oil should I use?

Use this in all 3 holes. It even has the HD #1 on the container.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:58 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,174 Likes on 1,799 Posts

I drink beer and **** in the primary....the primary doesn't care what's in there (or not).

My opinion.....try several different ones and see which one you and your bike seem to like the most. What makes it sound best to you? (as far as primary/tranny sounds). What makes it shift smoothest and best for you?

People ride differently, live in different temp and altitude areas, their bikes broke in differently, a certain oil may seem better for one person, and that same oil may not seem as good as another brand for a second person.

You're not talking about a lot of quarts of oil in your bike....so it's not expensive to try different oils and see which one you like the best.

I use synthetic for V-Twins in all 3 holes. Usually Castrol, or Mobile. Whatever is on sale or priced OK at the local auto supply store I happen to drive by at the time I feel like getting oil...be it Bennnys or AutoZone or Pep or whatever...s'long as it ain't the stealership.

I would not however, use regular dino oil in the tranny..if I wasn't going to use Synch rated for all 3 V-Twin holes, I'd use some gear oil.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:06 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

I use Redline 20w50 in the motor.
Redline Primary fluid in the primary.
Belray bigtwin tranny oil in the gearbox.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:07 AM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 11bDad

Use this in all 3 holes. It even has the HD #1 on the container.
+1 on that. I now use this stuff instead of Lemon Pledge to clean my bike as well. It's nice just having one container on my work bench. Less confusing.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:38 AM
cam-921
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use synthetic for V-Twins in all 3 holes. Usually Castrol, or Mobile. Whatever is on sale or priced OK at the local auto supply store I happen to drive by at the time I feel like getting oil...be it Bennnys or AutoZone or Pep or whatever...s'long as it ain't the stealership.

I would not however, use regular dino oil in the tranny..if I wasn't going to use Synch rated for all 3 V-Twin holes, I'd use some gear oil.[/QUOTE

That's what I was looking for. I have a case already of castrol v twin for my other bikes but not synthetic...I really don't want to give the stealership another dollar if I can help it but i may have to for filter Derby cover gasket...

Old 09-28-2011, 08:51 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cam-921
..I really don't want to give the stealership another dollar if I can help it but i may have to for filter Derby cover gasket...
If we all felt that way where would the dealers be when we really needed them?

I always use gear oil in the trans, it's a gear box not a motor.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:57 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,174 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by cam-921
.I really don't want to give the stealership another dollar if I can help it but i may have to for filter Derby cover gasket...
No need to replace the derby coffee coaster each time you pull the cover...long as you're not brutal with it working with the torx screws...it should easily survive a dozen removals.

Quick Reply: oil question..