Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

one LED or two halogen's ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 07:11 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default one LED or two halogen's ??

which do you think would give more usable light , one 5 3/4 inch LED headlight or a dual 4 1/2 inch h4 style bulb set-up ?? (dual LED is out of my budget range)

Old 09-25-2011, 02:47 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior

Never seen those two compared side by side. Have you seen the video of the 5-3/4" HD LED compared to the single 5-3/4" H4? The LED is many times brighter. That's what I went with.

The following users liked this post:
Volkspanzer (12-23-2021)
Old 09-25-2011, 04:13 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think its that simple. The LED lamps tend to be brighter (but beware cheapo ones off eBay, some of these are dimmer than George Bush) but have a narrow beam. Halogen lamps tend to be slightly less bright but give a wider beam.

This actually makes a big difference at night, with LED lights not giving that whole-road view that is actually really important.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:48 AM
neocontra
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently did a comparison of my fat bob headlight (dual led w/ silver star bulbs) vs the Harley 5 3/4 LED light. I was expecting it to be a close call but it wasn't, the led blew the fat bob light away, there was just no comparison.

Here is a picture of it on the bike:

Last edited by neocontra; 09-25-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:15 AM
Billyram
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The Speaker H-D LED lamp is actually 4 LEDs in 1 lamp. 3 burn at any time low beam or high. Being projector lamps alinement is important as the beam is focused and not spilled all arround. The only problem with this is when you lean into a curve your beam is not floody enough to light up the road as well as the moore floody non projector incandescent lamps.
Billy

Old 09-25-2011, 08:34 AM
KevenW
Tourer

Love my led!

Old 09-25-2011, 08:57 AM
neocontra
Banned

Originally Posted by Billyram
The Speaker H-D LED lamp is actually 4 LEDs in 1 lamp. 3 burn at any time low beam or high. Being projector lamps alinement is important as the beam is focused and not spilled all arround. The only problem with this is when you lean into a curve your beam is not floody enough to light up the road as well as the moore floody non projector incandescent lamps.
Billy
I understand..however there is just no comparison. I don't care what anyone says as I've compared them side by side with my own eyes and the difference to me makes LED worth it.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:17 AM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member

so LED is the way to go then ?? I watched the harley video clip but never trust advertisement , they can make crapy things look great but if ya'll are running them and say they are that much better thats what I will go with. really thought a dual light set-up would have given them a run for the money....those LED lights must be pretty dang bright

Old 09-25-2011, 09:34 AM
Romeo
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are some pictures that I took of the light pattern produced by the H-D LED headlamp, both low and high beam. This was a new subdivision street with no trees or weeds, so it's hard too really see how well the high beam works with the light going off into endless black space.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:46 AM
KevenW
Tourer

As mentioned earlier, just get it aimed right. And the only thing I don't like is sharp curves at night. If it says you have to buy a different light housing, do some research.i ordered the housing because the box said I needed it. Two days later I decided to try out anyway and it went right in just as easy as the factory reflector and works fine.plug and play!

Quick Reply: one LED or two halogen's ??