Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GOTTA get a windshield for 09 lowrider!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 12:07 PM
KevenW
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GOTTA get a windshield for 09 lowrider!!

it's time to get a windshield! long rides kill my neck holding my modular helmet against the wind on the interstate at about 75-80! need recommendations. I think i want the harley quick attach clamps. i prefer not to have the brackets on there when the shield is off the bike. I don't want to spend 4 or 5 hundred dollars if i can help it. i'm 6'2" if that helps.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Romeo
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keven, there are lots of pluses and minuses that go along with a windshield. I tried the H-D Compact shield first. It reduced the push from the wind, but made my half helmet bounce around on my head quite a bit, but worse than that it generated a low frequency rumble that started at about 35 MPH. That noise was worse than the helmet buffeting. I tried all the suggested changes like tipping the shield forward, moving it up and down but never found a satisfactory sweet spot. I then got my hands on an H-D Touring shield. It was much better. No rumble, but still some helmet buffeting. The buffeting is caused by air that comes up under the shield, over the tank, then up your chest and face. I added a fork bag which helped. I finally added a set of Memphis lowers; no more buffeting. The ride is quiet and comfortable even at 90 MPH. Unfortunatey, the lowers don't have the QD clamps like the shield.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:57 PM
tonygret
Tourer

I am using the HD QD windshield. It works fine for me. There is a bit of room to adjust up and down but not much. Now that it's on I never take it off except for cleaning.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:57 PM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an 07 Low Rider and I picked up the HD quick detach on ebay for $180 last year. I use it in the cooler months all through the winter and into spring. Works great fod me and I have not experienced any buffeting at all.....Check ebay and Craigslist....

Old 09-24-2011, 05:47 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Have the HD Q/D Sport w/s, bought on oBoy for ~$150. It takes ALL the wind pressure off your torso, and keeps the bugs, rain and debris off you. When the wind is gusting from just the right direction, I get some buffeting w/ my 3/4 helmet w/ flip-up shield.

The forward location creates back-reflections from the headlight, so requires a small baffle (I taped some black nylon webbing).

Old 09-24-2011, 07:49 PM
jek3fl
Novice

Keep your eye on craigslist. I just picked one up with HD quick release clamps for $50.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:11 PM
KevenW
Tourer

looks like the hd qd is the way to go. I think I like the touring model, it'd be nice to ride in the fall spring and winter without the freezing hands!! how well does it work in that respect Romeo?

Last edited by KevenW; 09-24-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:31 PM
KevenW
Tourer

do yall like the clear or lightly tinted better? I wear a modular helmet with a drop down tinted sunshade that looks like oakley sunglasses kinda so the sun is no issue.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:33 PM
KevenW
Tourer

cheapest touring model i see on ebay is 391 shipped for clear and 411 shipped for tinted.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:27 PM
PsTaN
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you said you preferred a shield that left no hardware on the bike, but I've always thought the Memphis Shades Sport Shields looked much better than the MoCo offerings. I've had both and found the rake adjustment, tighter fit to headlight, and affordability were positives for MS as well.

PsTaN

Attached Thumbnails GOTTA get a windshield for 09 lowrider!!-fortmims.jpg  

Quick Reply: GOTTA get a windshield for 09 lowrider!!