Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impressions/Review: Dyna Custom

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 05:24 PM
Cav
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impressions/Review: Dyna Custom

After looking over Towjam's saga of the LR Dyna review, I thought I'd pass on a few observations about my '07 Dyna Custom.

A little about background: LONG time rider (since the bad ol' days of the early '70's). Had a slew of Shovels (two FX's, one FXE, and one FLH that I restored), a '92 Heritage Softail Classic (first new Harley for me), a '92 Ducati 900 SS, a '94 Sporty that I modified severely into a hotrod, and a VERY brief (2 months) excursion into a VRSCD Night Rod that crapped it's ECU module and blew 20% of it's compression at 250 miles (while being very gentle with the bike). I dumped it back on a very understanding dealer (Run, don't walk, from a V-Rod with a 3.7 gallon tank, BTW) and we arranged for the first of the '07 Dyna Customs, which are reminiscent of my '75 FX Super Glide that I wanted to recapture.

So, I never had a TC 88...only the original EVO's for comparison.

My impressions at 600 miles with two trips up to Julian and Mt. Palomar so far:

First, it comes with a 5.1 gallon tank. This was a big plus to me. 'Specially after the 3.7 version Night Rod that was like a Sportster with a 2.2 Peanut tank and rich jets. At 70 miles, you get nervous. (they put 5.0 gal tanks on V-Rods' now...)

Fantastic transmission. Imagine Japanese smooth with more mass. Shames my 4 and 5 speed Harleys of days gone by. Very low clutch effort, too. Silky. Me mucho impressed. You see some buzz on the forums about funny sounds in 5th....I don't notice it myself, make of that what you will.

Engine power off the line is impressive. I neither baby nor abuse a new machine, but it's VERY torquey and I had to conciously dial it back leaving lights when riding up to the mountain with two other guys on Softail Classics and my wife on an '02 Triumph Bonneville so as not to open up too much gap. I found myself riding at 90mph once while thinking I was at maybe 75. It has a lot more on tap, too, but haven't explored up there yet. Not a lot of wind, either. I'm quite comfy at 75-80 and I had a three-hole shoulder surgery 15th months ago and it's still a little stiff. Not a problem. I do wear full-face helmet (because I despise windshields on my bikes).

As Towjam noted about the Lo-Rider, the new pipes are quite nice. I definitely DON'T like "loud" for all sorts of reasons, but I don't like hissing noises from the pipes like an enraged '75 cop Chevy either. Very nice tone. I don't anticipate a pipe change unless it's to an R&B racing 2:1 because my first Super Glide had 2:1's and I like the look. I hear they have some "black hole" option that lets them remain more-or-less quiet (if ANYBODY knows anything about that, I'd sure like to hear about it.

The Dyna Customs have the old style console with only a big face speedo (a tach option, for $500, is available fitted into the same face). I like the console and the big speedo as I'm rather a traditionalist.

The seat postion stock is far back...I'm 5'10" or a little more and it's a LONG way to the fixed position highway pegs (optional or added). Unless you're >6', get the adjustables or have your mounts drilled as I'm gonna' do.

This is my first fuel injection bike...until and unless it screws up, me likey. No choke, no warmup, no petcock. Just pull the trigger and go.

I might do some Stage I tuner thing, but not sure. It's a pretty satisfying ride now and I'm not in any sort of competition.

Oh, it comes with that that nice battery cover and not a lot of chrome...good, because I'm not a chrome fetishist. It's got it where it's easy to clean, but I like the powdercoated silver motor (and appreciate it because I'm old enough to have had the old silver paint variety that didn't last.) I opted for the standard chrome laced wheels, not the "profile" ones, which, at $400, don't do that much for the bike and I like tradition (also, those profile wheels look more prone to noticable scratching, to me, over time).

And that is my $.02. S

Old 11-22-2006, 06:25 PM
iwant1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Impressions/Review: Dyna Custom

Nice one Cav

I have an 06' of same, and agree with much of the comments that you make.

I have to say personally I like some of the things that others complain about (Shaking at idle, wind blowing in the face etc). To me thats part of the character of these bikes.

Old 11-22-2006, 06:40 PM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Say Cav,

I remember riding Palomar and Julian myself. Did it on 650 Special years ago. If I lived in S.D. still, I'd do it on my Low Rider. How does the DG Custom handle on the twistys? More feedback please.

Black Bart

Old 11-22-2006, 07:33 PM
Cav
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Black Bart

.... How does the DG Custom handle on the twistys? More feedback please.

Black Bart
Well, it's-a no Ducati..or even the breathed on Sportster I used to ride up there, but I did select a Dyna over the other models for the lighter and more nimble front end (but a hunnerd pounds is a hunnerd pounds, ya' know?). If you recall Mesa Grande Road down to "The Hideout", you'll recall that it's REALLY tight over the final stretch...in some places more than South Grade Road ("the tight side") up Palomar. It was no problem and, as I had riding buddies of varying experience (and they were on Softail Classics) I didn't scrape nuthin'. I expect to soon enough, though.

If there is a single item I would wish for, it would be the Brembos on the front end that the Night Rod has. Front brake effort is pretty high, but this won't be new to aircooled Harley riders. It was a one-finger deal on the Night Rod. The tires are reasonably good, and while it doesn't exactly "flick", you can change direction reasonably quickly if you don't do anything dumb to the front end geometry. Right now, the brakes are the "rate limiting step". Especially coming down.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:49 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Great review, my 6 speed is awesome, the TC96 has more power than i need. you mentioned the off the line acceration, indded it's awesome

Old 11-22-2006, 10:24 PM
Cav
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: KeithB

Great review, my 6 speed is awesome, the TC96 has more power than i need. you mentioned the off the line acceration, indded it's awesome

Tell the truth...how many times have you found yourself cruising in 5th and totally not noticed that you even had another gear?

(At least three times for me)

That 6th cog is nice. When you remember to use it.[sm=smiley9.gif]

Old 11-22-2006, 10:57 PM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cav

and it's a LONG way to the fixed position highway pegs (optional or added).
Just and FYI, you've got those highway peg mounting plates on backwards. That's why they're so far away. You need to flip them over and swap sides. I made the same mistake at first.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:00 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good review Cav - and good looking Glide. Glad to see I'm not the only one who's happy with stock pipes.

By the way, as of this evening, I'm back on my Low Rider.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:12 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: KeithB

Tell the truth...how many times have you found yourself cruising in 5th and totally not noticed that you even had another gear?

(At least three times for me)

That 6th cog is nice. When you remember to use it.[sm=smiley9.gif]
6th gear is for 75 on the slab [8D]

Old 11-23-2006, 12:25 AM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: PowerCobra98

and it's a LONG way to the fixed position highway pegs (optional or added).
Just and FYI, you've got those highway peg mounting plates on backwards. That's why they're so far away. You need to flip them over and swap sides. I made the same mistake at first.
I sure feel better now,..... I thought that I was the only one to get those backwards at first,...........LOL

John

Quick Reply: Impressions/Review: Dyna Custom