Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member/Rider, 06 Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011 | 01:53 PM
JerryGarcia4295
Cruiser

I have the 06 ... love it - I did have to replace the inner primary bearing as well as the stator and rotor because of the issues described ... and my case did have the dowels, so I'm not sure that makes a huge difference ... I went w/ the Baker bearing to avoid a repeat. I would for sure replace the 2 piece rotor if you have it before it comes apart and tears the crap out of everything.

Old 09-22-2011 | 02:12 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Welcome to the boards...and "Nice Bike"!

06 SB owner myself.
Do yourself a favor...like prior poster mentioned...2x common problems on 06 Harleys....look up threads on the inner primary bearing, and the stator chewing itself up on its bolts. You'll be replacing those 2 things. Or perhaps you can check your bikes history to see if they have been done already. It's 2 items that are new designs on the 06 bikes...and didn't do well. Not trying to scare ya..just to get you informed.

I replaced my IPB twice this summer..first with a Baker..but I didn't like it's noise and it leaked a bit, so I put in an 07 bearing....much improved over the original 06. And my stator chewed itself up...which is why I had the primary open in the first place..and did my first IPB replacement "just in case".

Last edited by YeOldeStonecat; 09-22-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-22-2011 | 07:58 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member

I must be getting old Im starting to like blue bikes. Damn. Welcome , dont feel to bad about the IPB and stator on your year bike. We all have to replace things from time to time its just part of it. But as suggested knowledge is your friend. Welcome to the forum and have a blast with that bike. Street Bobs flat out rule. I love mine.

Old 09-22-2011 | 08:04 PM
street06bob
|
Advanced

Thanks for all the input guys. That is good info about the IPB and stator. Is that something that i can change, or should the dealer do it. I'm decent with mechanics.

As for future plans, i want to lower the bike with the burly slammer kit and a set of pipes. Is it possible to ride 2 up with bike being lowered and 180 wide tire??

Old 09-23-2011 | 08:39 AM
JerryGarcia4295
Cruiser

Originally Posted by street06bob
Thanks for all the input guys. That is good info about the IPB and stator. Is that something that i can change, or should the dealer do it. I'm decent with mechanics.

As for future plans, i want to lower the bike with the burly slammer kit and a set of pipes. Is it possible to ride 2 up with bike being lowered and 180 wide tire??
I did mine ... needed the shop manual and advice from this board, but it wasn't that hard. I had to have the bearing pressed into the inner primary (baker bearing) at a machine shop, but other than that just take your time. Getting the race off was a little delicate because I didn't have a puller, and I had to VERY CAREFULLY cut it w/ a dremel until I could wedge a screw driver into the cut I was making and crack the race a bit ... then it came right off. I still have the race, so I can take a picture of it so you can see what I'm talking about ... unless of course you have a more elegant method of getting it off.