Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it my bars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 08:59 AM
MotoSoul11
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Is it my bars?

I have ridden sportbikes my whole life so never had this issue. When I ride my SB, it feels like I'm nothing more than a parachute waiting to get blown off the bike. Is it because of my apes? Would I feel more stable with lower bars?

Old 09-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoSoul11
I have ridden sportbikes my whole life so never had this issue. When I ride my SB, it feels like I'm nothing more than a parachute waiting to get blown off the bike. Is it because of my apes? Would I feel more stable with lower bars?
Probably not the solution unless you're leaning forward. That's why so many go with windshields. Backrests help immensely too.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:05 AM
emerican19
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I've been wondering the same thing too. I've been riding for a couple years and got a Street Bob about 6 months ago and I constantly feel pull. I was riding Father-In-Law's Road King for the first year and a half and never felt anything because of the lower bars. On the Bob,i t seems like more than normal wind resistance. I think it comes down to my riding gear because one of my buddies has a Fat Boy with 16 inch apes and goes all day. When I mention the neck/shoulder strain he has no idea what I'm talking about.

-my main issue is wind up the sleeves- currently, i've got wrist length short gloves so i think all the wind shoots straight up my sleeve, to my back and puffs out my jacket and gives a lot of resistance. i wonder if a pair of gauntlet gloves will solve this.

-i think a portion of the neck strain is my helmet. it's a half helmet, but DOT so i get the mini-mushroom head thing goin on...i think that catches a bunch of wind too.

I keep considering a windshield but $400 for a piece of plexiglass is hard to swallow, and i think it looks kind of dorky too, well worth it i'm sure, but if i can cut down on wind any other ways I'm all ears.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:08 AM
cmancini26
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can go aftermarket and find a shield for about 250 with hardware

Old 09-19-2011, 10:10 AM
MXerwithaBob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes it is the ergonomics of the SB, lower bars will help but not eliminate the pull as you are sitting far more upright than on a sportbike.

Half-helmets put more strain on your neck (at least mine does compared to my FF).

I have a windshield for mine, I cannot deal with the buffeting from under the windshield, it's worse than not using the windshield. I'm a form over function guy anyway, if I wanted to be super comfortable I would've bought an Electra Glide.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:16 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I'd say it's something you get used to. Try to tighten your core muscles (ie: abs) while riding and hold your body upright which will help take some strain off your bars. You're definitely in a different riding position than a sport bike so it's gonna use different muscles to "hold on".

Old 09-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ride with 18" Hangers on my SB, put 550km's+ on last Saturday with no issues felt fresh, hell the 3 hours of yard work I did on Sunday wore me out more than all of the miles I put on, on Saturday. I mean it's a bike with nothing but bars and trees in front, you are gonna get some wind, it's just the way it works.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:32 AM
midcitysaint
Advanced

I just recently posted a blog post about this and here is my solution: http://gypsydroppings.blogspot.com/2...at-flying.html

Basically I spent a bunch of money trying to find the right "fit" which is important. Rocked the bars forward and used a blanket roll from http://www.bammbammscustomleather.com/#/home

Which was about $50.00. The blanket roll strapped to the bars acts the same as a mini windshield or flyscreen without looking odd (like apes and a windshield do). I'm about to do a product review on my blog if you want to wait and read that but the short and sweet of it is the blanket helps a lot and I definitely notice when I ride without it. Plus it's super handy at holding clothes, or whatever else you can roll up into it.

You will always have some wind but you can mitigate the parachute effect.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:41 AM
artizinn
Cruiser

It goes with the saying " flying by the seat of your pants" hell it's free ac especially in this Tampa heat

Old 09-19-2011, 11:16 AM
twofish
Road Master

Quick Reply: Is it my bars?