Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DYI Paint Job: Should I or Shouldn't I?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 10:16 PM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: DYI Paint Job: Should I or Shouldn't I?

[sm=burnout.gif]

Old 11-21-2006, 10:36 PM
Rhode Warrior
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking as someone who does their own paint. I would have to say no. You need quality equipment and know how. It's one of those things that is definitely harder than it looks and you will waste a lot of money and time getting it right. First you need a good gun, then need to get used to how to dial your gun in and then how to spray. You also need a source of regulated, clean, oil and water free compressed air with a filter and accurate pressure gauge. This is all critical.

You need to really do a good job on the body work to begin with and then have to do a good job on the primer, sand that out perfectly, lay down the base coat and clear, then sand that perfectly. Then graphics, then clear again and get that right and final sand and buff.

Don't forget about the buffing. You need a good variable speed buffer and need to know how to buff so you don't ruin the paint job.

If you can manage to get the base and clearcoat right, definitely have a pro lay down the flames. It really requires an artisitc touch. If you screw up the flames, you will have really wasted a lot of time.

You can get away without a spray booth, but run the risk of lots of dust landing on your clearcoat which will require more work and maybe even re-spraying.

Lastly and most importantly, dont even think about spraying urethane clearcoats without at the very least, the proper organic mask. That **** is deadly. Either way you decide. Good luck. You asked, I answered.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:32 PM
stbob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dig in thats the best way to learn. The last 3 posts hit it pretty well. Take your time and research like you are doing and
just do it, dont try...DO.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:42 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rhode Warrior made some very good points and probably did a better job when it came to detail. We used to use oxygen when spraying...also one thing to add, the cost of all the materials will add up fast. Most people (like myself) that has spent a hefty dime on their tools, usually have a hard time loaning them out. I am very particular on how my paint gun is cleaned.

Dust is something that is almost impossible to get away from even in a downdraft booth as most cars, motorcylces, etc are not 100% clean. To minimize dust in any enviroment, the more prep you do the better. I also would recommend that you wet the floor prior to painting.

If these answers seem long, wait till you try to paint....and then maybe again, $1900 isn't a bad deal (factoring the guys labor & overhead)
ORIGINAL: Rhode Warrior

Speaking as someone who does their own paint. I would have to say no. You need quality equipment and know how. It's one of those things that is definitely harder than it looks and you will waste a lot of money and time getting it right. First you need a good gun, then need to get used to how to dial your gun in and then how to spray. You also need a source of regulated, clean, oil and water free compressed air with a filter and accurate pressure gauge. This is all critical.

You need to really do a good job on the body work to begin with and then have to do a good job on the primer, sand that out perfectly, lay down the base coat and clear, then sand that perfectly. Then graphics, then clear again and get that right and final sand and buff.

Don't forget about the buffing. You need a good variable speed buffer and need to know how to buff so you don't ruin the paint job.

If you can manage to get the base and clearcoat right, definitely have a pro lay down the flames. It really requires an artisitc touch. If you screw up the flames, you will have really wasted a lot of time.

You can get away without a spray booth, but run the risk of lots of dust landing on your clearcoat which will require more work and maybe even re-spraying.

Lastly and most importantly, dont even think about spraying urethane clearcoats without at the very least, the proper organic mask. That **** is deadly. Either way you decide. Good luck. You asked, I answered.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:47 AM
steelcowboy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dunno I've played with the paint guns on and off during my lifetime and I have alot of back yard painters in my family and budies that can do it really well and I also have a pro painter on the wifes side and they all have told me the saem thing the actual painting is the fool proof part its all in the prep and finnish work laying the paint is damn near idiot proof make sure your area is clean and free of airborne dust/contaminents and use a steady hand and pay attention to how much paint your laying. **** if you get the first cpl steps right the worst case senario is you have a extra cpl coats of primer for someone else to shoot over top of. I'd ask around there are always ppl like I said that will paint cheap and do a decent job and maybe even teach you a cpl tricks. Will your first paint jo be a show stopper? No probably not. But at least you can say YOU did it and that always make me feel good I guess.

Old 11-22-2006, 06:02 AM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

"Thanks" to you all... that's a lot of damned good, well considered advice and tips. If I can find a rental spray booth / mixing room to rent for a reasonable cost, then I'll do the prep, base color and clear myself, and *maybe* the flames, but the points you've made about flames requiring an artist's touch (which I lack) has me thinking it'd be best to farm that out.

piniongear and toyrider, you both used PPG products. I was thinking of House of Kolor products but if PPG is less costly and as good, then I'll go with that. Any thoughts? I understand HoK is steeply priced.

As for a quality gun, I'm thinking I can buy a used one on eBay. The booth should have filtered, regulated air (I expect), and the rest of the tools are cheap enough. There's a bike salvage shop just a mile from my place that I can pick up some junk tin from for a practice session in the booth to get comfortable with the gun.

At this point, it all comes down to finding a booth. If I cant, then I'll be checking out that painter you recommended, phreak.

Z

Old 11-22-2006, 10:21 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've done a little touch up painting on bikes with mixed results.It can be done without a booth but in the winter when it's cooler the paint takes longer to set up which gives it more opportunity to collect dust and crap.Why not split the difference and do your own prep while you shop around for a better price?Most shops will give you a break on price if they don't have do the prep .Just have someone who knows what they're doing check out your prep work before you have it sprayed.

Old 11-22-2006, 10:36 AM
puddle jumper
Novice

Try reading this for tips , hope it helps, Look under how to articles.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/index5.motorcycles.htm

Old 11-22-2006, 02:31 PM
notorious
Road Captain

Yea, what toyrider said.
ORIGINAL: toyrider

Well if you have never painted before there are some things to consider

1) Use a Acrylic Urethane paint ( I prefer PPG). It lays down easy and can be wetsanded and buffed with 24 hours
2) Be sure to mix the proper temp reducer for the day you will paint
3) Be sure to use a 220 sand as your finish
4) I would highly recommend a good paint gun and a filter to catch any water from your compressor

If you decide to do this yourself, you want to follow these basics

1) Spray your Gloss Black once all sanding, tacking, and prep is done. I would recommend at least one tack coal, 2 good coats and a med light final coat.
2) After 24 hours, use a fine grit wet sand paper (1000) and sand all the black until all is gray. This will remove any orange peel and provide a deep wet look finish once step 3 & 5 are done
3) Prep the tanks for the Acrylic Urethane Clear. I would also lay down four coats.
4) After 24 hours, sand to remove any orange peal. Be sure that you use the same paper in Step 2.
5) Now you are ready for your flames. If you make a mistake you can always sand them off and repeat Step 3
6) Once flames are completed finish with applying another 4 coats of Acrlic Urethane.
7) After 24 hours of dry time, sand to remove all orange peel and until all is a flat gray when water is applied.
8) Finish with a buff compound. I recommend that you use 3M Micro Glaze. You will need to use an electric buffer for this. Be careful not to "burn" thru and do not apply much pressure and keep the buffer moving always.
9) Once that is done wash with soap and water and use 3M Micro Finish Glaze to protect your new project

If you have any questions, or help please feel free to email me...
toyrider

Old 11-22-2006, 05:51 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

puddle jumper: Damn, that article desscribes a method I might be able to pull-off in my sister's garage. I don't think I could pull-off the tradional air-compressor-and-spray-gun method in her garage, but the method in this article might work. ! I think I could fabricate a spray booth in there from plastic sheeting and 2x4 framing, and build in some sort of ventilation system (in addition to a proper mask).

Here's the link to the exact article: http://www.chuckhawks.com/harley_paintin.htm

Do those of you with experience think this is worth considering? I'd be cool with getting a "real good" result (rather than a perfect one), but I'm not cool with a result that will look like crap in a year or two.

Z

Quick Reply: DYI Paint Job: Should I or Shouldn't I?