Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DYI Paint Job: Should I or Shouldn't I?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 01:22 PM
carver
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DYI Paint Job: Should I or Shouldn't I?

I say give it a whirl. I too have bought some extra tins for my Low Rider and I am going to try to paint them myself. I just think it will be a challenge and fun to try. If the tins look like crap after I'm done, I just won't put them on. I've read painting articles on the internet where guys have tried it and the results were satisfactory.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:53 PM
dyna2319
Tourer

Try to hook up with a local painter for some instructions on what works for him. Then you have proven system you can possilbly duplicate. Painting is all about the prep work having done some myself. The spraying was actually the easy part, the masking, sanding and getting your surfaces ready is where all the work and time comes in. You may even be able to cut your costs if you do your own prep work and have the pro shoot the color.

Dyna 2319
06 FXDWG/I with more mod tha nthe wife knows about

Old 11-21-2006, 02:00 PM
ronster
Road Master

ORIGINAL: TRITON

ronster
Did the flame job make your weed eater run faster??? I heard that flames make things faster...
not really but sure looks cool, did give the neihbors a smile.

Old 11-21-2006, 02:19 PM
kpreese
Road Captain

If money is a factor I think this is a definite "NO". If you want to learn a new skill, then "perhaps". I would only do this if I was fully prepared to spend the $1900 AFTER I tried it. If this is an either/or thing, then it needs to be a SURE thing.

From all that I've seen (including my poor efforts) painting is a skill that requires some good training, hard work (prep) and lots of practice. This is just my opinion because I happen to know that this is something I am horrible at. You may feel different. There isn't much I'm scared to try, but this isn't an area I want to experiment with if money is tight.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Kevin

Old 11-21-2006, 05:32 PM
SUPER01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Z

Thanks to a layoff (all is well), I've got a little time on my hands and I've been toying with the idea of doing my own paint job rather than paying a shop the $1,900 I was quoted. I am nervous as HELL about doing this, so I thought I'd let you all either talk me into it or out of it.

I have a brand-new flat-top fuel tank (bare metal) and will reuse my stock front and rear fenders. The bike's purple now, and I want to paint it black and lay down some old-school orange flames. I've been wrenching all my life, but I've never done body- or paint-work. IF I do this, I can either just do the black and clear and let a pro lay down the flames, or I can try and do it all myself. I live in a condo with an enclosed garage. I can wrench there, and hand-sand, but no way can I setup a spray booth there so I'd have to rent a booth and rent all the paint equipment.

Am I a fool for even thinking about this, or do I stand a chance of turning out a quality result? Am I going to save any money by doing it myself, or will the equipment rental, booth rental, and small tools purchases result in a financial wash compared to the $1,900 quote? Are there specific books you recommend that I look at for guidance on this?

I appreciate your honest feedback.

Z
Since you would have to rent a paint booth it might not be worth it to do it yourself. If you had a friend who would let you use his garage to paint the tins there it would be worth it to buy you own spray gun. I haven't painted a bike or a whole car but have painted wheels, bumpers, mirrors, etc. before just in my garage and they turn out fine. The main thing is the prep work in getting everything smooth and clean. It may be worth it to have a pro do the flames, find someone who does airbrushing and it probably won't cost much then you spray the clear.
It takes time and experience and there is a reason shops charge what they do. If your not happy with your paint the way it is go for it. The worst that can happen is it doesn't turn out the way you want, then strip it down and you have to take it to the pro.

For some painting tips do a search on the the Car Craft website, yes its for painting cars but metal is metal for prep. work and spraying.

Let us know what you decide.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:34 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You said you were quoted $1900.00 and that you had a new bare tank, keeping the fenders stock. I'm taking it that you were not quoted $1900.00 for the tank alone. Anyway, $1900.00 for a real nice paint job and your tins still seems a little high. Hd website shows their California Kit tank and fender set for less than you're spending just on paint. If you think it's something that you'll enjoy doing, I say go for it. The only thing to keep in mind is that if you opt for a "professional" paint job after your attempt is done, there may a considerable extra expense for the painter to remove your paint attempt just to get the tins prepped for his paint job.

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Set of Three (Front fender, tank, rear fender)

Available for '04-later XL models, '00-later Softail® models and '95-later Dyna™ models.

MSRP US $1,650.00

Old 11-21-2006, 06:58 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't even have a place to practice painting in and you have to rent somewhere, plus buy the materials, the expenses are going to add up quickly.

Spraying the paint is the easy part...it's all the work before and after that will make it look good.

Once you buy a gun, the paint, all the chemicals for reducing, clearing, a buffer, the buffing pads, the different grades of compound needed, plus if you rent a booth you may be rushed for time...I don't think it's gonna pay off.

I was a detailer for 10 years when i was younger and you can make a bad paint job look good after wet sanding and buffing, but getting set up to do paint gets pretty involved.

Maybe you could take it to a Vo-tech school...one car dealership i worked for used to take their used cars to one for cheap work.

Old 11-21-2006, 08:26 PM
phreak
Road Master

I'd pass, but I know someone who does outstanding work, and can probably beat that $1900 quote.

Try www.buzzardscustompaint.com

Old 11-21-2006, 08:47 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Z...
Hat's off to you on your desire to do your own paintwork. I cannot advise you of what you have to decide to do, only tell you that I did my own paintwork for the first time ever. When finished,t was perfect, if I must say so myself. I still remember going out into the garage the next morning to see what I had done.
The parts looked like they had been dipped in red glass. No orange peel or runs. This was on my red Sportster pictured below.

I chose to spray PPG Color Concept Urethane with 2 clear coats to finish. I remember telling the guy at the PPG shop that I had never sprayed catalyzied paint before. Can I do a professional job of it? He handed me the product information sheet on each of the components that I would be using (acid treating, metal wash, epoxy DP primer and the hardner needed for that , reducer, Color Concept and DCX61 hardner, and the Color Concept Clear which used the DCX61 as well) and he told me, 'Just follow the instructions and pay attention on the mix times, temperature, cleaning procedures and spray application. You will get a good job if you follow that.'

Well, Mr. Coffee was correct. Urethane is far easier to paint than lacquer and a much, much better product. The stuff is bullet proof if done right. I cannot understand why people like powder coat so much. That stuff is really not repairable IMO, and the shop can mix any shade you desire.

Now the bad stuff:
If you paint black you will find it is the most unforgiving color you could choose. The metal work must be perfect or flaws will show.
You need to price out what a quart of paint, catalyst, primer/catalyst, sandpaper, tape and all of the other liquids you are gonna need will cost you if you want to see what this will total up to. It gets very expensive very quick! When you first open the catalyst the clock starts running. You will have perhaps a month before the stuff starts to go south. Humidity is the enemy here.
You are at a great disadvantage in not having a garage.
You can buy a nice spray gun for $250 (I said nice) but what are you going to do for an air compressor? You really need one that can pump out 8 to 12 cfm at a minimum. This is not your Sears 3 hp compressor.
I painted the Sportster using a floor fan to draw air out of the garage and was not affected by the isocynates as far as I could tell.
When I built my own fold up motorcycle trailer later I painted it the same color. I decided to spring for a $300 air supplied paint hood this time. I figured the three hundred bucks was a good investment in my health, and once purchased....take care of it and you never have to buy another.

So, I guess $1900 may not sound so bad after all of this? But there is one got'cha......Take it from me there is a great satisfaction felt every time I climb aboard that Sporty knowing the paint was done by me, rather than having paid someone else to have done it.
It took me a full week to do the metal prep and paintwork. The prep work is the key to getting a good job. Fail there and you may as well not waste the paint.
If you decide to do it, just get the instructions for the products you buy and follow those to the letter. You do not need to buy 'How to paint your car/motorcycle' books. Spend that money on primer and paint. Good luck, and if I can give you any tips just let me know.................pg

[IMG]local://upfiles/8331/027EECFAB4834BDE83D5EB7E3AEBDF70.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-21-2006, 10:15 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if you have never painted before there are some things to consider

1) Use a Acrylic Urethane paint ( I prefer PPG). It lays down easy and can be wetsanded and buffed with 24 hours
2) Be sure to mix the proper temp reducer for the day you will paint
3) Be sure to use a 220 sand as your finish
4) I would highly recommend a good paint gun and a filter to catch any water from your compressor

If you decide to do this yourself, you want to follow these basics

1) Spray your Gloss Black once all sanding, tacking, and prep is done. I would recommend at least one tack coal, 2 good coats and a med light final coat.
2) After 24 hours, use a fine grit wet sand paper (1000) and sand all the black until all is gray. This will remove any orange peel and provide a deep wet look finish once step 3 & 5 are done
3) Prep the tanks for the Acrylic Urethane Clear. I would also lay down four coats.
4) After 24 hours, sand to remove any orange peal. Be sure that you use the same paper in Step 2.
5) Now you are ready for your flames. If you make a mistake you can always sand them off and repeat Step 3
6) Once flames are completed finish with applying another 4 coats of Acrlic Urethane.
7) After 24 hours of dry time, sand to remove all orange peel and until all is a flat gray when water is applied.
8) Finish with a buff compound. I recommend that you use 3M Micro Glaze. You will need to use an electric buffer for this. Be careful not to "burn" thru and do not apply much pressure and keep the buffer moving always.
9) Once that is done wash with soap and water and use 3M Micro Finish Glaze to protect your new project

If you have any questions, or help please feel free to email me...
toyrider

Quick Reply: DYI Paint Job: Should I or Shouldn't I?