Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cooler problems on my Fat Bob

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 07:37 AM
thunderstorm2_2002
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil cooler problems on my Fat Bob

I bought the oil cooler part #26151-07 from the dealer and had them install it on my bike. After riding for a week I noticed that there were oil spots in the garage in a couple of places and you could see it was coming from the adapter plate that bolts in between the engine and the filter. I took it to the dealer and they started looking into the leak. They found that the adapter plate was cracked and ordered a new one. It took a week to get it and I didn't have my bike for Labor day weekend. I wasn't very happy about this. Picked the bike up this last Friday and took it for a little ride (~40 miles) and then parked in the garage, got a drink before going back to the garage to add the Lindby bars onto the bike that I got. Well now there was a more oil than on the ground in one puddle than all the other little drips in the garage. I looked under the bike and could see oil down the side of the plate and dripping on to the frame and the ground. I called the dealer and and they said to bring it back to the shop so they could look at it. I cleaned the plate and frame before heading back to the dealer. Once there they looked it over and said they would order another adapter plate because they just leak and hopefully the next one that comes in won't leak. The service manager told me that I don't need a cooler on the bike and that if one were needed it would have come stock on the bike. He tried telling me that the cooler didn't open until you are stopped at a light and these bikes are meant to run hot. Ok the book says normal temp is 230 I have seen oil temps upwards of 274 degrees after getting stopped at a couple of lights. After the cooler was installed I haven't seen the oil temp over 240 stopped at the same lights. Now they have the plate bypassed and its still dripping oil but at least I was able to ride this weekend. OK that's my rant for the morning but has anyone else had problems with this oil cooler? I'm thinking about having it taken off if its still leaking this next time and looking into getting a Oil Bud cooler.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:16 AM
Gringoloco13
Road Master

I don't know man, that is the same one I have on my bike and no leaks (knocking on wood right now!) But the thermostat opens up the bike to start cooling whether you are at a stop or not, just need to reach 185°F (85°C). But from a stop it isn't going to do squat unless you have a fan mounted to the front of it like a radiator does. The only time it is going to cool temps is while moving, that is when the air is moving across the fins. But like I said the thermostat is going to open at 185°F regardless if the bike is moving or not. Take it back until they fix the issue, imho though this should have came on the bike from the factory. Nothing wrong with keeping the oil temps cooler, if anything it keeps the oil from breaking down as fast with as hot as these motor run anyway.

edit: I have had mine on for around 6 months and put around 2,000 miles on the bike since the install.

Last edited by Gringoloco13; 09-12-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:29 AM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,646 Likes on 686 Posts

I say try another dealer. I'm thinking that they damaged the oil filter mount or something, maybe cracked the plate by tightening down too much. All the torque specs are INCH lbs, very easy for a newb to screw up if they like to crank bolts down.

And I don't get how bypassing the cooler does anything for a filter leak?

Old 09-12-2011, 08:31 AM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had mine for 3 years and no problems ever........maybe because I installed it and not the stealer

Old 09-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Gringoloco13
Road Master

Originally Posted by cbrenthus
I say try another dealer. I'm thinking that they damaged the oil filter mount or something, maybe cracked the plate by tightening down too much. All the torque specs are INCH lbs, very easy for a newb to screw up if they like to crank bolts down.

And I don't get how bypassing the cooler does anything for a filter leak?
Exactly what I was thinking!

Old 09-12-2011, 10:09 AM
thunderstorm2_2002
Intermediate

Yeah I was thinking they over tightened it myself too. I work on large bore diesel engines and you would be surprised how many people set the torque wrench for Foot Pounds when the book says Newton Meters. Only reason I had the dealer put it on was because I wanted to have their warranty of something went wrong with it.

I kept telling the service manager that keeping the oil cooler helps it not break down as fast and and cooler running engine with last longer. I kept getting NO you bringing it in for routine maintenance will make it last longer. I think it will be the last time I go to that dealer. I bought my bike there bike I will be going to the dealer closer to the house for now on.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:09 AM
thunderstorm2_2002
Intermediate

Oh and Thanks for the info everyone

Old 09-12-2011, 11:01 AM
2011Deluxe
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstorm2_2002
The service manager told me that I don't need a cooler on the bike
Not defending your dealers service department but I do agree with this statement. You don't need one.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:24 PM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,646 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by thegrants82
Not defending your dealers service department but I do agree with this statement. You don't need one.
I have mixed emotions. I think HD probably stress tests these engines and as long as you don't rev while sitting still, you probably can't overheat it. I know the fuel injected bikes have stages they go through as they get hot, lowering idle and eventually randomly shutting off the cylinders to send cool air through. However, I do believe in oil coolers not because they keep the engine cooler, but rather they reduce the range of temps. I think that the engine running at more stable temps will increase the longevity over time. Most people won't run the engine long enough for this to be a difference, though.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:50 PM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regardless of whether or not you like/dislike, believe they work or not necessary a needed item on your individual bike is all a moot point.

The point is that they should not leak.........

I have one on my personal bike for over just a year with 20,000 miles and no leaks, I have installed them on several bikes over the years and only had one or two leak (although, that was individual installation quirks).

Are they using new gaskets when applying this adapter, are the using new threaded adapters affixing this to the bike and are they using a new adapter for the oil filter itself? These are areas of concern when troubleshooting what is really going on other than poor workmanship on the part of the installer.

Just food for thought..............

Quick Reply: Oil cooler problems on my Fat Bob