Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cooler problems on my Fat Bob

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 10:16 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I run a lochart oil cooler, only stripped and powder coated... the diff is night in day in how my bike feels as far as temp... i am sure my leak is from use... after all i have close to 10k on it since i installed it 2 trips with over 2500 in 2 days, so i would imagine the vibration had some affect!
i went lockhart so i could mount it up high on the frame to get the best air flow

Old 09-13-2011, 11:37 PM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago Ken
Jagg makes the H-D coolers. Don't know if the company is having a problem with they stuff. Might be worth looking into.

I was thinking of running one on bike with a low voltage computer cooling fan mounted to the cooler so it draws air through the cooling fins.

That's the set-up that I'm running, the Jagg's 10-row with two fans behind it. The Big Sky fans are supposedly weather resistant though, and not computer fans, but they look the same.

I hit the manual fan switch when caught in traffic on hot days. The cooler is thermostat controlled.

The thought that if a Harley needed an oil cooler they would have come with one is wishful thinking. Heat does break down oil. Let your oil temperature gauge be your judge on that. Oh!, no oil temperature gauge came on the bike? Same argument.... If the bike needed one it would have come stock... Where will this mentality end?

I choose to do what HD didn't do and try to assure myself that I'm doing my part to prolong my engine life. For years HD advised against synthetic oils, now they sell it and hardily endorse its usage. What was once bad is now good. It all has to do with the bottom line...Profit.

I didn't buy a Harley because it was the most advanced technology. I bought it because it was a timeless motorcycle with deep roots in American heritage. The American heritage that I remember was a do-it-yourself mentality, fixing it with baling wire, fabbing up your own modifications and making things better with your own ingenuity.

With this frame of mind, I thought that an oil cooler was a good idea.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:58 AM
mibeaulieu
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I put my HD cooler on and it leaks (everything was torqued to spec). I just bought the Jagg Adapter and I am going to put it on today. Looking at both adapters and their respective gaskets, I have a lot more confidence in the Jagg adapter. I'll update my results later on.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:32 PM
thunderstorm2_2002
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mibeaulieu
I put my HD cooler on and it leaks (everything was torqued to spec). I just bought the Jagg Adapter and I am going to put it on today. Looking at both adapters and their respective gaskets, I have a lot more confidence in the Jagg adapter. I'll update my results later on.
I just looked up that Jagg adapter and it looks a lot better than the harley one. Let me know if it seals up your leak. I'm still waiting for parts to come in to the dealer for mine.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:10 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I have installed four HD coolers on TC96 bikes.

Done correctly it will never leak.

First was the piece of thin material over one side of the gasket removed. It is to keep the sticky side covered until you install it. If holds the gasket on the face that the filter used to seat on.

Did you get the adapter at the correct rotation. There is two locations were the adapter seems to seat. The one about 10 degrees or so clockwise is the correct one. The counterclockwise position will leak.

Was the new piece that the filter will spin onto torqued correctly? That is the third area that will cause leaks. I forget the Allen size needed I bought a socket with the required size Allen hex in it. I torqued to the high end of the spec.

One on the 07 has been on for over five years now. Two have been on two years. One for one year. None have ever leaked.

Tell the dumbo that you have been talking to that half the HD's come with coolers standard now.

Another reason to do it yourself. It is a simple straightforward job and is very worthwhile having on the bike.

Tell them to take it off and get your money back. Then get one somewhere else and install it.

Last edited by lh4x4; 09-14-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:53 PM
thunderstorm2_2002
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my bike back on friday. Road around town some that evening, and did a charity poker run on saturday and no leaks showing up so far.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:53 AM
mibeaulieu
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mibeaulieu
To update this - My Jagg does not leak a drop.