Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Duals on a Dyna?? Anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 01:48 PM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Full Duals on a Dyna?? Anyone??

Tips? Tricks? Pics?

Anyone running full duals on a Dyna??
Like the Samson Cholos...

I love the Softial full duals look, and wanna try and figure out how to make it work this winter while I'm in the New England Hibernation period...

Looking at it with a friend (and forum member), seems like some of the shift linkage / shift rod, will have to be modded, and stuffin the rear cyl pipe in there is gunna be tight!

Also if someone has done it, what did you do for the left pipe mounting point?

((If your answer is "get a softail" I will eventually have one of each model someday but for now, I love my dyna and wanna try this!)).
Someone out there has had to have tried this??

Thanks!

Old 09-06-2011, 01:53 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not sure what you mean by full duals?

The only thing I can think of is you're looking for exhaust with one pipe on each side? Hit up a forum member named "SURFOR Chop" as I'm pretty sure he put on pipes like that.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:13 PM
LarryLives
Road Warrior

Thanks Bry,
I'm looking for the dual exhaust set up like on baggers and some of the dressed softails...
Samson makes a set but only for softails. I tried looking everywhere for a production set of pipes but I cant find anyone out there, so the plan is to get a set and fab them up...

I looked at Surfor chops pics, and he has side by sides, and a 2 into 1 set up, but not a dual exhaust system...

see the pics ....
They are of a softail at my local dealer, the pics are of the left side of the bike, the pipe for the rear cyl comes thru and runs back. so each side has a functioning pipe.
Full Duals on a Dyna?? Anyone??-st.jpg

Full Duals on a Dyna?? Anyone??-st-1-.jpg

Old 09-06-2011, 02:26 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 876 Likes on 584 Posts

Jay,

Here's a link for you where you'll find some interesting info:

Road King Duals on a Low Rider??

Good luck on this project and keep us posted!

Old 09-06-2011, 03:23 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Jay -

Got your PM so am responding via your thread ...

... you are correct that my pipe is a 2-into-1 ... it is just like the pre-'09 Touring exhaust except with no left side crossover pipe ....

I would kind of like to run dual-sided pipes ... but, could not figure out how to 'crack that nut' so to speak ... which is why I just did the right side only pipes ....

Since the Dyna is rubber mounted into the frame and the swingarm mounts onto the transmission, I was thinking that the left side pipe would have to mount on the motor/trans assembly (to include the primary) ....

The Touring models hang the mufflers on the bottom of the saddlebag bracket (which has quite a bit of support behind the saddlebags and fender) ... but, I was looking for a means of mounting the exhaust that would not rely upon having the bags in place as my setup allows for removal of my bags ....

Note also ... the Touring motor is canted a few degrees forward relative to the Dyna motor's position (tilted back just a bit) ... it is not much, but enough so that the pipes cannot be used without some slight modification ....

My thinking is the Softail true duals would be the best ready-to-install setup ... I have heard several individuals who have used Softail pipes on Dynas ....

As far as a support for the left side pipe, I was kind of thinking maybe a piece of angle iron could be ground down with a cut-off wheel or grinder to leave a couple of 'ears' that could be mounted on the lower edge of the primary cover and extend back and below the exhaust pipe ... never got as far as a 'mock up' or anything ... on my particular model ('05 and earlier) I think the passenger foot peg mounting bracket would be in the way/need to be removed ... it also occurs to me that a mount on the primary might put the exhaust mounting bracket a little too far outboard ....

Well ... those are my collected thoughts on the subject ... you can take them and run with it (or feel free to ignore) ....

Good luck ... and be sure to post a how-to and plenty of photos ....

R/
'Chop

Old 09-06-2011, 03:56 PM
LarryLives
Road Warrior

FXD, great thread.
Chop, I agree, Its gotta be doable, I really want the cross thru, not under (I like the pipe curve around the rear of the primary) just looks bad as$!

My friend I was talking about is a fabricator, so hes got the tools and knowledge to make it work as well, def keep everyone posted!
If anyone else out there has info bring it on!

Old 09-07-2011, 06:39 AM
convincor
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comparing the two bike side by side at the dealer this is what I got so far...
The shift lever at trans end is the same. Exception would be Jays 06 WG that arm look to be a little taller...maybe a problem...
The softail has a bracket the runs from around the front of the seat to a mount on the trans.. this is the coil mounting bracket.... in reading Samsons installation instructions for the ST, there kit comes with a new bracket. Also a the shift rod is replaced with a bent rod.
The back side of the engine case@ trans mounting point on the ST is longer the the fxd case, but the the front side of the FXD trans case is longer than the ST trans...
Measuring space between the trans top cover and the rear jug...2-1/4" on the ST vs 2" on the FXD... that 1/4" may not be much but...

Last edited by convincor; 09-07-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:13 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

I have been round and round with Samson, V&H and some other pipe builders and they all say there is not enough room behind the rear cylinder to run the pipe (my guess is because of the heat generated). The second reason is because there is not any place to mount a bracket on the left side of the bike to support the weight of the exhaust pipe.

Now, that is not saying it can't be done! I have been researching this mod for awhile now and have looked into having some bungs welded onto the back side of my inner primary cover that I can mount a support bracket to or trying to figure out a stronger way to support the pipe and run it the same way as the new touring bikes (under the swing arm), now you would have to relocate your rear brake manifold.

Now that that has got your gears turning try this on for size. If you don't mind modifing your shift linkage and shift arm on your forwards, have the ability to weld or have a welder and can figure out the support bracket thing! You could try the Bassani Hutch system made for the Softail. http://www.Bassani.com/new_products.php?product=19
I have talk to the engineer that designed this system and he SEEMS to think this system could possible work with some modifications. The front pipe would gave to be cut and reangled when coming out of the cylinder because the current setup would hit the Dyna down tube.

That is my plan and I am just waiting for the through away $$$ incase it doesn't workout.

Well, I hope that helps, good luck with your project!

Old 09-07-2011, 02:11 PM
convincor
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bracket for the left side, utilize the two lower rear primary cover bolts. Use longer bolts to expose threads out the back side and bolt a plate/hanger..
As for the crossover, the ST has 2-1/4" of space vs the dyna with 2" space between the trans top cover and jug... It's only 1/4" difference....ceramic coat the pipe and heat shouldn't be an issue.... Make the cross over oval and the clearance will be same as the softail...
My plan is to get the Samson system and make it work.. it's just the wrong time of year and $$$.

Last edited by convincor; 09-07-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:38 PM
LarryLives
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by convincor
My plan is to get the Samson system and make it work..
Dont forget, once ur done, my bike will be in your garage waiting

Quick Reply: Full Duals on a Dyna?? Anyone??