Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Duals on a Dyna?? Anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 05:01 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by convincor
Bracket for the left side, utilize the two lower rear primary cover bolts. Use longer bolts to expose threads out the back side and bolt a plate/hanger..
I thought about this, but the bracket, support arm and the pipes is allot of weight doing allot of vibrating and shaking. That turns into allot of stress being put on those two small bolts and if they broke, vibrated out or worse the vibration causes the case or cover to crack. Any of those could lead to serious problems.

Where if you weld 1" round bungs about an 1" tall with a tapped hole that that you could use to mount the bracket to with a larger bolt (like they use on the clutch cover on the right side). This would be stronger and the welds would spread out the stress.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:45 PM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

I've also been studying this. Depending on your year, if you use a right side rear pipe also (like 2008 and older FLH) there could be issues with the oil filler. I believe, especially if you "oval" the pipe, the rear pipe out the left side will work. The other issue I was thinking about is that the left side pipe will have to be mounted further out (nearer the derby cover) to stay away from the electrical cover.
I will be attempting the 2009 FLH 2 into 2 cross under system. I think I have the fitment issues worked out, just will need to think up the muffler hangers. It is a long winter up here, lot of time to think........................

Old 09-08-2011, 06:22 AM
convincor
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the two rear lowers would be fine. Use a rubber insulator at the pipe end. Who's going to want to grind and weld to the primary? Not to mension having to pull it off to do it...The bolts would be loaded in shear. Back in my days of cobra replicas there were quite a few guy that bolted up there side pipes to the headers with 5/16" bolts and no hangers. No that's a 4' long 4" diameter muffler....THAT'S a lot of weight and vibration.. Never broke. JMO...

Old 09-08-2011, 07:05 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Why would you have to remove the inner primary cover? At the most you would have to remove the out and clean up all the oil. But if you were to Tig weld the bungs on you could probably do it with out removing anything, after all Tig welding doesnt produce as much heat over time as mig. And the case staying in fully assembled would help reduce any heat warpage that might happen. If you use a 1" by 1" bung you could use a 7/16-20 or around abouts at 3/4" (in the bung, plus the length needed for the bracket thickness). This would provide more then enough meat to secure the muffler hanger.

Also the more rigid you make everything the less vibration you get. You need to make the engine, tranny, primary and exhaust act as one moving unit. Vibration means resistance with leads to fatigue and component failure.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:25 AM
convincor
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know were your thinking but I don't see any area big enough or accessible to weld something on there with the case on the bike. And, have you ever welded aluminum? Never mind overhead... the weld puddle will be on the floor....
As I said... just my opinion...

Old 09-08-2011, 09:11 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Ok, I do stand corrected. I thought there was more room on the back side of the inner primary cover then there actually is (I went out and had a look at my bike). I have seen aluminum welded (in person), but have never welded it myself, so the puddling never crossed my mind. However, I do want to thank you for the knowledge!

Know that I have been corrected. I do know that there is enough room on the outer primary cover to acomplish the task of weld supports need for the bracket. I would be more worried about the cover flexing under the weight though. I think the supports would be enough to carry the load of the exhaust system, however I don't think the boltsand thread holes that secure the outer cover to the inner cover would be strong enough to endure the shock created by the exhaust systems weight and movement.

All-in-all, the biggest problem when trying to install a set of true-dual exhaust on a Dyna is getting the support needed to secure the muffler on the lefts side! Once that problem is answered, I am sure we will start seeing many of these setups in our Dyna family!

Last edited by blueangel73; 09-08-2011 at 09:12 AM. Reason: spelling!!!
Old 09-08-2011, 10:27 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

I spent a great deal of time trying to do just this. I failed because the weight of a system and no existing brackets proved too much to overcome. I settled for a right side only. If anyone comes up with a real true duals setup for a Dyna, they have me as a customer.

Here's what I started with:

Heres what I ended up with:

Just a note. I have since went back to the drags because just the right side system broke the mounting brackets OVER and OVER. Nothing I could do could withstand the constant vibtation of the Dyna's rubber mounted system and the long tail pipe. Smarter minds than me need to figure it out.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 09-08-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:40 PM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

A little update. Got the 2009 touring exhaust to fit!

Old 11-11-2011, 05:55 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by AFMM3
A little update. Got the 2009 touring exhaust to fit!

Nice work!!! Now we just need the DETAILS!!!! And some more pics.

I can wait to see how you did this, if it is a success I won't be far behind yea.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:52 PM
danss427
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive wanted to do this since I bought my bike.PLEASE more pics and details.Ill do this for sure!!!!

Quick Reply: Full Duals on a Dyna?? Anyone??