Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel light flashing with full tank!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Plaidfinger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel light flashing with full tank!!

Issue number three with my new Wide Glide. Today I accidentally shut off the ignition switch before the run switch. after restarting and riding about 3 miles, the fuel gauge dropped to 0, the fuel light started flashing, the red security light came on and the low fuel message came on. I stopped immediately and checked the tank as I had only driven 50 miles since filling up this morning. Tank was full, so no leaks. After restarting, the light flashed for a few seconds with the low range message still on, then went away. I checked the fuel remaining setting on the trip and it was 150 miles to empty. Could shutting off the bike incorrectly have caused this??

Old 09-05-2011, 06:56 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Id call the selling dealer with any questions you might have . Talk to the service department for answers. Also id read my owners manual that came with the bike for proper operating procedure.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Plaidfinger
Cruiser

I know the proper procedures, I just remember the sales guy saying always shut off with the off switch before the ignition or it can throw some weird codes. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with this as my dealer is closed through tuesday for the holiday.

Also, should I hear that high pitch sound like the fuel pump priming while riding, and please dont answer with well duh, that's the fuel pump, I've just had a few issues with the bike in the first week I've owned it and haven't had a harley in a long time. I came from a Ducati and they make a host of completely different noises.

Side note, the high pitch noise I refer to (fuel pump?) made a weird noise a mile or so before the lights came on

Old 09-05-2011, 09:17 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

I don't think that the sequence you used to shut off your bike would make the light flash. Did you check for any codes? This might help: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...tic-codes.html
Now, I can't hear my fuel pump run after start up since my pipes are louder than the pump, but the tech at the dealer said he easily heard a leak in the in tank line. Maybe it was the full face helmet he wore. It's possible that you have a leak but your bike is new so it could be something else.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:06 AM
cjlandry
Road Master

With the fuel light flashing and the gauge dropping to zero, there may be a loose connection under the dash, where the harness plugs into the sensor. Do you also get the "r Lo" indication on the LCD panel?

Old 09-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Plaidfinger
Cruiser

It said Lo Range. Is that connector easy enough to get to?

Old 09-06-2011, 09:32 AM
cjlandry
Road Master

Yeah. When you remove the dash, it's right there. If you have a wiring diagram (they're in the back of the service manual) you can use an ohmmeter to check the resistance in the sensor. The service manual shows the connections and the resistance readings at both full and empty.

Since it's an intermittent issue, I suspect a bad ground connection somewhere. You should also check the resistance to ground from the harness. Ground pins should read zero ohms to chassis and battery ground. With the harness unplugged from the sensor, the actual "sending unit" should not be grounded. I'll dig out my service manual to verify, when I get a few minutes.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:39 PM
BrassHOLE
Cruiser

i don't have any switches on my bite at all as i have removed them and i haven't had a problem since ive owned it, i never did ne kind of TURN OFF sequence

Old 09-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Garyk
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Turn off Sequence"? I never use the kill switch, been riding HDs for over 30 yrs and never had a problem except when some yahoo hits the kill switch on me and I sit there trying to figure out why the damn bike won't start.....

Old 09-06-2011, 05:36 PM
Plaidfinger
Cruiser

So you leave the run switch on and just use the ignition switch to turn on and off.

BTW, the dealer as expected "could not duplicate" so "everything is fine" They said it could have been a low battery??

Quick Reply: Fuel light flashing with full tank!!