Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel light flashing with full tank!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 09:17 AM
jdvorchak
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I changed the fuel filter on my 10 Ultra and first test ride had the same symptoms you describe. Got home and pulled the "dash" off and found that I had failed to fully seat the multi pin connector.

Common mistake that most people tend to over think problems. Always do the cheap and easy stuff first. In this case the OP did the right thing and took it back to the dealer to sort it out.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:21 AM
jdvorchak
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I have to say I just use the ignition switch to shut off but most of the time I'll wait for the fuel pump to finish priming before I hit the start button. I used to shut my ultra off with the kill switch but twice I ran the battery down because I left the ignition switch on while I was in the restaurant. Jump starting a Harley is not easy and NOT fun.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:48 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Plaidfinger
Issue number three with my new Wide Glide. Today I accidentally shut off the ignition switch before the run switch. after restarting and riding about 3 miles, the fuel gauge dropped to 0, the fuel light started flashing, the red security light came on and the low fuel message came on. I stopped immediately and checked the tank as I had only driven 50 miles since filling up this morning. Tank was full, so no leaks. After restarting, the light flashed for a few seconds with the low range message still on, then went away. I checked the fuel remaining setting on the trip and it was 150 miles to empty. Could shutting off the bike incorrectly have caused this??
HD fuel gauges are a joke and are never intended to be as accurate as that of a cage. You can try bending the float and it might prove to be more accurate. That's assuming there's a float on the fuel pump like the Touring bikes. I have not learned about that portion of the Dyna line just yet. If there is a float like the Touring line, bend the float arm down some and it should prove a bit more accurate.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:13 PM
bullittdyna
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue with a 2015 street bob I bought last year, When I lowered the bike down with aftermarket suspension, one of the rear turn signal wires got rubbed open and it was shorting it self out, remove the main fuse under the left box and plug it back in and see if the fuel gauge comes back on. I found out that mine would only stay one until I hit the brake lever and then it shut back off. My guess is that you have an exposed or pinched wire somewhere on the bike.

P.s my rear running lights would only turn on, no braking lights would illuminate

Last edited by bullittdyna; 10-11-2016 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:03 AM
sn95bullitt
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I have the same issue as the OP. Also this posting is 5 years old.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:50 PM
Coltpeacemaker
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low fuel indicator faulty.

The fact is that this problem should be able to be repaired. Riders suggest to watch odometer. The light is there for a reason. Riders should have a indicated that works correctly. Why can't H.D. fix this problem. It is happening on all years and models. H.D. come on and find away to repair this problem. It's like their name went on before the quality went in. Frustrated H.D. Owner.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:38 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,852 Likes on 1,087 Posts

The fact that a thread this old is allowed to be resurrected is beyond all comprehension!

The following users liked this post:
Nemosengineer (02-19-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 09:02 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

Everybody always asks about this "incorrect sequence". I ran my Fxdb for 16k miles and never once shut the run switch off, and it ran just fine. Stop worrying about this. But yes, take it back to the dealership and be like "yo muddah ****ah what the deal is cuz?" No seriously take it back for warranty.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:11 AM
CeBlackline
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jamman
my fld has done this, on the hotter days 102, 103, full tank , gauge all over the place, light flashing , has quit since then,,
Hello,
My Softail did "fuel light flashing, lo range, red light" thing discussed here. I was stuck in traffic quite a bit so the bike goy really hot and considering your comments I think it may have to do with overheating also.

Can you please let me know your comments on this so that I know if it will get worse or if you were able to fix it.

I appreciate any help that can be provided.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-24-2021, 10:54 AM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 874 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
The fact that a thread this old is allowed to be resurrected is beyond all comprehension!
Deja vu all over again!

(Just kidding; it is on topic.)

Quick Reply: Fuel light flashing with full tank!!