Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Troube shooting !!! Please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 11:45 PM
06HarleyStreetBobLoveWillieGSkulls's Avatar
06HarleyStreetBobLoveWillieGSkulls
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troube shooting !!! Please help

TROUBLE PLEASE HELP. 06' Dyna Street Bob w/ apprx. 13,000mi.

When I shift the bike into to neutral there is a different sound now than before when I first got the bike @ 8,500mi. about 10 weeks ago.

Sounds like this is coming from the primary and ( I'm just speculating here) sounds like theres some sort of friction going on with a bearing ( like I said just a guess). Happens anytime I shift the bike into neutral, when I start it or when I get home from a 3 hour trip. I say bearing b/c its sounds like the noise has a sort of circular rotation to it.

Given the year and mileage I'm speculating @ the IPB.

GOT ANY IDEAS- input is appreciated and thank you.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:13 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 839 Likes on 451 Posts

If its an 06 the IPB is the most likely suspect.....there was a recall, not sure that H-D are doing the mod for free anymore but if you get an 07 inner primary or the Baker Hi-Torque bearing you can fix it good.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:42 AM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like typical IPB noise. There was never a recall, only a service bulletin. You can try your hand at the dealer and you may have luck. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined you can get a bearing from Baker for about $30.00 and change it yourself. It is not a real hard job. While you are at it look at your rotor. If it is the 2 piece unit it will fail eventually and damage the stator. You have 2 options for fixing it. You can either replace the rotor/stator combo or you can have the bolts on the rotor spot welded.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:45 AM
06HarleyStreetBobLoveWillieGSkulls's Avatar
06HarleyStreetBobLoveWillieGSkulls
Advanced

STATUS UPDATE: I talked to MOCO today and they told me to have my bike inspected by one of their techs to insure that the noise I'm hearing is the IPB. I called my local Harley Dealer and talked to service and to have them check the IPB they qouted the job to be $550 WHAT THE FU@@.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:55 AM
cjlandry
Road Master

Originally Posted by 06HarleyStreetBobLoveWillieGSkulls
STATUS UPDATE: I talked to MOCO today and they told me to have my bike inspected by one of their techs to insure that the noise I'm hearing is the IPB. I called my local Harley Dealer and talked to service and to have them check the IPB they qouted the job to be $550 WHAT THE FU@@.
Seems they could just do the repair for that price, without even checking.

You may want to find a good independent Harley mechanic, who is likely to know the sound of a failing inner-primary bearing, and possibly won't charge you just to listen to your bike for a minute.