Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a blacked-out windshield??

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 05:20 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The one on that Fat Bob looks cool as hell the half black Memphis Shades not so much.All I really want is a really dark windshield short enough to look over the top of and as far as I can tell without building something custom it just doesn't exist.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shafferk
What shield is that?
Mine is the HD quick detach Sport shield...it has been trimmed higher above the headlight to move it down, then the top has another couple inches removed.

I love the shield and it does a great job of letting enough air past but with no buffeting thanks to my lowers. Since I work midnight shift I ride the country roads at night and the bugs are terrible, and this really does a good job. Most guys who will tell you are a sissy for using a shield have probably not logged as many midnight miles as I have...they probably don't even know how bad the stock headlight sucks!

I think you got it backwards Ed...the blacked out shield looks like crap and the Memphis one looks sweet! If you want a short black shield, just cut down one of these Sport ones and paint it...seems it would be exactly what you want.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Norrl
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say form over function then want to black out the windshield and decrease your forward visibility, especially at night. Hmmm........

Old 09-02-2011, 07:20 PM
shafferk
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mascman
Mine is the HD quick detach Sport shield...it has been trimmed higher above the headlight to move it down, then the top has another couple inches removed.

I love the shield and it does a great job of letting enough air past but with no buffeting thanks to my lowers. Since I work midnight shift I ride the country roads at night and the bugs are terrible, and this really does a good job. Most guys who will tell you are a sissy for using a shield have probably not logged as many midnight miles as I have...they probably don't even know how bad the stock headlight sucks!

I think you got it backwards Ed...the blacked out shield looks like crap and the Memphis one looks sweet! If you want a short black shield, just cut down one of these Sport ones and paint it...seems it would be exactly what you want.
I work the midnight shift as well and ride these Missouri back roads to work and back every night. The bugs are absolutely killing me and I plan on riding through the winter as well. I really want a quick detach shield and yours is the first shield that I've seen that I actually like. How did you cut it?

Old 09-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by shafferk
I work the midnight shift as well and ride these Missouri back roads to work and back every night. The bugs are absolutely killing me and I plan on riding through the winter as well. I really want a quick detach shield and yours is the first shield that I've seen that I actually like. How did you cut it?
I cut mine with a sabre saw, then take a file to recurve the plexiglass. I then hit it real quick with some light sandpaper, followed up by a heat gun to get the plastic clear again.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:54 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Norrl
You say form over function then want to black out the windshield and decrease your forward visibility, especially at night. Hmmm........
Couldn't agree with this statement any more. That would be HORRIBLE to cut out your line of vision I would imagine.

That memphis shades shield looks just right in my opinion. A bit of a tint down low, but clear up top. That's perfect. Either that, or just a clear shield.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:13 PM
bigpercentcountry
Tourer

Didn't someone post a Cee Baileys a couple weeks ago that the whole shield was really dark tint?

Old 09-02-2011, 09:17 PM
bigpercentcountry
Tourer

http://www.ceebaileys.com/harley/images/fatbob-dg-3.jpg
http://www.ceebaileys.com/harley/index.html

I thought it was darker, but this don't look to bad.

Edit: Looking at the website they have an opaque black.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:22 AM
shafferk
Tourer

This thread is silly.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:05 AM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Norrl

FORM over FUNCTION means the opposite of what you are thinking. He wants the looks MORE than the function.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a blacked-out windshield??