Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wasted my day trying to get throttle cable on. Failed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 11:55 PM
bigdano
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wasted my day trying to get throttle cable on. Failed.

Ok so I tried to get my throttle cable on came in from DK today... anyway I couldn't get my housing and handle back on right finally I got them back on and the throttle had too much play I couldn't tighten it enough... also I noticed that the throttle didn't want to return back all the way. I do not have an idle cable on it. I took it back apart then couldn't get it back together and noticed that the cable really wouldn't move freely on its own too well just by hand. There was a sticker on the cable saying not to oil it.

Anyway here is my question...

I have a throttle lock or "friction adjustment screw" that doesn't seem to work. I don't have a cable on, but if I screw it in the throttle still rotates freely. What gives? Also there was a small spring that I have left over from a few days ago that I have no clue where it goes. I think that it was extra spacing for the cable pushing it away the nylon cable from the butterfly intake on the engine to give it a quarter inch more clearance because the throttle wouldn't tighten up enough... does this sound right?

I am returning the throttle cable because it was slightly kinked to start with and just too much friction. Should I try to tackle this by myself or take it to HD dealer. I really don't want to get raped. :'(

Dano

Old 09-01-2011, 12:15 AM
Streetbob Bomber
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have a combo of issues, the throttle lock wont work properly unless the shoe is on top of the screw, located in the housing, also a kink will cause issues, cable routing is another that will cause a throttle cable to stick.. However you said that you couldnt even tighten it up enough to get the play out, so check routing, long smooth bends as well as proper cable length.... And the matter of it bein a DIY job, IMO it definitely is you've gone this far, just trouble shoot to find the actual problem and put it back together.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:34 AM
bigdano
Advanced

Apparently the ****in shoe fell out.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:59 AM
Spiro Drummer
Tourer

As frustrating as it may be:
1.Use the Service Manual
2.Take a break (hours/day) and go back to it with a fresh head
3.Use the Service Manual
4.Try to post pics of the problem on this forum so we can help you a little quicker.. :-)

Old 09-01-2011, 07:40 AM
WG2011
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

DO you have a spring on your friction adjustment screw? I know mine does maybe thats where the spring has come from ?

Old 09-02-2011, 09:35 AM
bigdano
Advanced

Actually it was the shoe guys... the shoe just rests there in the housing. It falls out easily. The extra spring I had wasn't the friction wheel spring. There is a spring that goes on the throttle cable itself I got a diagram from the harley dealer and the small spring is there.

I did use a FSM, but it wasn't as detailed as I would've liked. Anyway I have my throttle cable on and everything installed... I gotta reroute some wires inside my housing, though, because now I can't press in my right turn signal!!!!