Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ness faring = speed wobble!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 12:36 AM
dtone72rss
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ness faring = speed wobble!

i installed my new ness faring as per instructions. took it out on the highway east on the ten. cruising speed is normally 85-95, but i decided to go above 100. my 07 SB cruises streight as an arrow at 110 with out the ness faring, but that was not the case today. my brother was just beside me at about 105 when my handlebars started back and forth. i slowly rolled off the throttle, locked my arms foreward and said the famouse two words ( O S#*T). the bike settled at about 70-80mph, im really not sure because i didnt look down untill 70.

this has never happened to me before, yes i did check everything on the bike, and that includes checking to see if the true track was in a neutral position. went back out a couple of days later and started to notice how unstable the bike was between 75-90 ( i would not take it above 90 at that point), and decided that this thing was not for me. i ride my bike hard, 19000 miles since last march, i know my bike and i know that the faring is not the best thing to install if you to ride hard.

these are my two cents, so take them how you will.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:47 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I added a HD quarter fairing to my bike with the stock apes. I had a bit of a weave at high speeds that was disconcerting...

When I replaced my bars with T-bars, the weave went away. My best guess is that my apes were pulled back, versus my T-bars going straight up off the triple tree. This caused me to pull back on the bars, which caused the weave.

I could stop the weave/wobble if I pushed forward on the bars instead of using them to brace myself against the wind.

Try tilting your apes forward. Might work, might not. But it's free to try...

Old 08-31-2011, 02:46 AM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just suggestions; tire air pressure, front shock oil level/spring weight, rear shock adjustment, steering head bearing adjustment and swing arm bearing condition. Any can cause a high speed wobble. The faster you go, the more perfect it all needs to be. Improving aerodynamics with a fairing doesn't cause wobble, but it can magnify the symptoms caused by suspension issues because your ride is more "slippery."

Old 08-31-2011, 02:54 AM
night09train
Cruiser

Yea I'm gonna say it's not the fairing doing this because I have one on my street bob and when I was doing 115 the other day my bike way flying straight. If the head bearings are in the slightest loose it will cause this. It happened to me on my night train and a few friends have had the same issue after the neck was adjusted it wasn't a problem anymore. My friends and i ride really hard and haven't had problems with the fairings.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:38 AM
cjlandry
Road Master

I can't imagine how a fairing could cause such an issue. Pressure on the steering head bearings, maybe. Bearings probably not adjusted properly.

I once had an old Sportster that went unstable at speeds above 110 (no fairing). Adjusting the steering head didn't work. I had to replace the bearings on that one. They may have been damaged somehow, though I could see no obvious damage.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:13 AM
Warrior Redleg
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

absolutely no problems here with my fairing....Had it on about a year and half now without a single problem.....

Of course, im not claiming to have gone that fast either.... hehe

Old 08-31-2011, 07:45 AM
Dyna_in_the_works
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im gonna agree with all of the above... pushed mine to 110 after my dyno the other day and didn't have the tiniest issue. Id suggest what others have said, check tire pressure, check spokes, check front end geometry, springs and oil, adjust bars... ect.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:33 AM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

Don't have Ness but Rifle Roadster. My 05 Dyna is stable up to 125. Never really had a reason to go faster than that.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:07 PM
dtone72rss
Cruiser

i did check the air pressure and the headset bearing. the one thing that i considered but didnt change was the 20 weight fork oil. with out the faring the front end was fine with 20 weight.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:21 PM
STREETWALKER
Cruiser

I have the same problem at 75 to 80 mph with a hd standard style windshield. Without it no wobble. I know that the fairing is a lot smaller and i was considering getting one. Now i wonder if it is not the neck bearings or something else. Bike is brand new.

Quick Reply: ness faring = speed wobble!