Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What all is done on the 1000 mile service?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 09:56 AM
bsljacques
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What all is done on the 1000 mile service?

What all is done on the 1000 mile service? I just checked to see how much it costs to get it done at the dealer.....$350.

I am mechanically incline...what all does it entail?

Thanks for the help,

Bobby

Old 08-30-2011, 10:39 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts
Old 08-30-2011, 10:42 AM
bsljacques
Tourer

Thanks for the help....Just thinking I can do this myself and save the money for other goodies for the scooter.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:35 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The 1k service amounts to the most expensive fluid change & bolt checking fee known to man. I always give them the 1k service & do the rest of them myself......

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (07-25-2021)
Old 08-30-2011, 01:28 PM
WG2011
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Exact reason I did it myself, as long as you have the service list they use and keep receipts from the fuilds and filter purchase myh dealer said go right ahead so I did. Glad I did was easy and saved me about 250 or so dollars.

Originally Posted by klaybus
The 1k service amounts to the most expensive fluid change & bolt checking fee known to man. I always give them the 1k service & do the rest of them myself......

Old 08-30-2011, 01:47 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you buy the bike new? Did you get an owners manual? All the maintenance intervals info is in there...
You have to decide if you want to spend the money to have someone else do it or spend the money to buy the shop manual and required tools. You will not have extra money to spend on the scoot if you are just concerned with the 1k service.

Harleys are easy to work on and if you do it yourself, you know it was done right. The dealerships take shortcuts. I had the dealer throw in the 1k service when I bought my new bike and asked them if they would be adjusting the steering head bearings. They said they don't do that at 1k. I showed them the manual and told them harley says that they will. and I want it in writing when it's completed. You also have to tighten your spokes (if you have lace wheels) at 1k and 5k, then every 15k after.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:21 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by klaybus
+1

I let them do the very first one at 1K and then I do everything after that myself.

I get my parts, fluids, and filters at the dealer so they have the records of when and what was done.

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (07-25-2021)
Old 08-30-2011, 03:21 PM
bsljacques
Tourer

Going to the dealer today and getting what I need to do it myself....normally I would let them do the first service and I would do them after that point...but this time I am just going to do it myself. I can use the savings on other parts and accessories.

Plan to get the service manual, fluids/filter and tools required. It should save me a couple of hundred.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:32 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Told by the dealer that they have to do the 1K service to honor the warranty. After that wrench away. Id make sure I saved my receipts. Check with your dealer that they will honor your warranty if you do your own 1 K service.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:36 PM
bsljacques
Tourer

Originally Posted by missedem
Told by the dealer that they have to do the 1K service to honor the warranty. After that wrench away. Id make sure I saved my receipts. Check with your dealer that they will honor your warranty if you do your own 1 K service.
Did not think they could legally do that......void your warranty because you changed your own oil. But I will check.

Last edited by bsljacques; 08-30-2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: What all is done on the 1000 mile service?