Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Comfort Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 01:16 PM
blandster
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Comfort Questions

Hi. First off, thanks to everyone who answered my questions about ride hieght at the beggining of the summer. I haven't been online much at all this summer, but after a full summer of owning the bike I think I know what I want/need to do to the bike to make it comfortable for me. After the weather turns this fall I'm going to get the seat sent off to Mean City to get me a little lower, a bit more forward, and narrow up the seat just a bit too. Probably will go ahead and get the passenger portion a little more comfortable while there too. I do have a few more questions for everyone though...

1) When looking at pull back risers, how do you determine how high and how far back the riser will get the bars to you? For example, a 4 1/2 inch pull back will do what to the position of the bar?

2) When riding with my wife she complains that she feels like her knees are bent too much and too high. Can anyone post some part numbers for me that work well on an FXD to extend passenger footpegs a bit down and forward?

3) Also when riding with the wife on severe bumps in the highway I can hear us bottoming out. Not all the time just on the real rough stuff. What is the factory rear shock length of the FXD? (96) What Progressive shock would work well to keep this from happening, still have a nice ride, and maybe even lower the rear just a tad? (not looking for anything extreme)

Thanks to everyone in advance!!!

Old 08-29-2011, 04:18 PM
CB1
Tourer

Originally Posted by blandster
2) When riding with my wife she complains that she feels like her knees are bent too much and too high. Can anyone post some part numbers for me that work well on an FXD to extend passenger footpegs a bit down and forward?

3) Also when riding with the wife on severe bumps in the highway I can hear us bottoming out. Not all the time just on the real rough stuff. What is the factory rear shock length of the FXD? (96) What Progressive shock would work well to keep this from happening, still have a nice ride, and maybe even lower the rear just a tad? (not looking for anything extreme)

Thanks to everyone in advance!!!
2) Look in JP cycles or dennis kirk, they make adjustable off sets for pegs. They can be rotated to the desired position. Not sure on the exact name, but just look where they have the pegs at. Gonna probably get the wife a set of the 2" to adjust where her feet are.

3) You can start by adjusting your shocks. Sounds like they are set too soft. For a FXD your stock length should be about 13" center of eye to center of eye. Street bob should be 12" eye to eye. Not sure on FXDC/fat bob/wide glide. I have run 12" street bob shocks in the past and am currently running 12" air shocks off a street glide. Gonna replace those with either 12" progressive 440s or 430s to get a better ride. Check progressives web site and you can choose by model what will fit. Everything I have heard is spend the extra $ and get 440s or 430s over the cheaper ones. there are also much higher priced shocks out there that are supposed to be better than the progressives, no experience with them other than what I have read.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:10 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as bottoming out...If you put your stock shocks on position 5 that won't happen anymore...and it's free!

Old 08-30-2011, 08:00 AM
blandster
Novice

In position 5, how is the ride when solo?

Old 08-30-2011, 10:16 AM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In position 5, how is the ride when solo?
A little stiffer than normal.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:59 AM
blandster
Novice

CB1 - I think I found your suggestion at JP for the passenger pegs. I live in Iowa and I'm thinking of riding over to their open house this fall and mya get them then and ask about them too. In case you'd like it, here's a link to the ones I found per your suggestion cause you mentioned wanting them too...

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/530-577

Everyone - thanks for the advice on trying different adjustments on the shocks I already have. There are so many things I want to do yet to this bike to make it "mine" that a savings there will be nice! I'll keep ya posted on this.

Now, anyone have any information for me on pull back risers? I want the bars a little closer to me, but I don't know how to figure what length to get to achieve the pull back I'm looking for.

Thanks again!

Old 08-30-2011, 11:26 AM
CB1
Tourer

CB1 - I think I found your suggestion at JP for the passenger pegs. I live in Iowa and I'm thinking of riding over to their open house this fall and mya get them then and ask about them too. In case you'd like it, here's a link to the ones I found per your suggestion cause you mentioned wanting them too...

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/530-577

Everyone - thanks for the advice on trying different adjustments on the shocks I already have. There are so many things I want to do yet to this bike to make it "mine" that a savings there will be nice! I'll keep ya posted on this.

Now, anyone have any information for me on pull back risers? I want the bars a little closer to me, but I don't know how to figure what length to get to achieve the pull back I'm looking for.

Thanks again!
looks pretty simular to what I was looking at. If your are bottoming the shocks out with them adjusted to 5 you may need to go to a heavy duty shock. what is the combined weight on the bike two up? Could have a bad shock maybe? just a couple items to think about. I have a set of 4" pull back risers from HD that I'm sure we could work something out on if ya want them. Belive it is 4" up and 2" towards you. proabably about as high and far back as you can go on stock cables on a FXD. How ever this will put the speedo straight up and down on a super glide. You can look at rivco risers, they will bring bars up an inch and back 2 inches and keep the speedo in factory location. Think ya have to do a little grinding on them to make them fit right, but I don't think it is a lot. Think it had to do with the screws for the cover on the back.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:36 PM
blandster
Novice

Well, combined weight we are looking at about 325. (185 for me and maybe 140 or less on the SO) So, hopefully an adjustment will do it! Thanks for the offer on the risers. I'll have to measuer what I have. They are pull back risers and I like the height, just wish the bars were a little further back. Maybe some pictures would help folks picture what I'm wanting. I'm short enough (5'8") that my arms have only a slight bend in them when riding, so little that the natural tendancy is to lock my elbows withoug thinking about it and my elbows, forearms, and hands start to go numb from it. I'm wondering if getting the seat redone at Mean City to get me a little closer might even be enough... I'll try and get some pcitures on here soon... THANKS again though for the advice and the offer. I just may be taking you up on the sale!

Old 08-30-2011, 09:59 PM
CB1
Tourer

If risers won't do it for ya consider new bars. I put kustom krome narrow sweeper bars on my bike with the factory risers. The bars come back to you and have a slight arc in them. Very comfy especially with the avon grips, I'm 5' 6" so I gots short arms. Not too pricey, think i got mine for around $70 a local shop. Here's a couple of pics to show ya.

Attached Thumbnails Passenger Comfort Questions-062.jpg   Passenger Comfort Questions-065.jpg  
Old 09-01-2011, 11:28 AM
blandster
Novice

Those do look comfortable!!! I'll have to mull all of these options over in my head. BTW - you have good taste in trucks too!!!

Quick Reply: Passenger Comfort Questions