Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't forget to change fuel filter!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 05:00 PM
zoopman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don't forget to change fuel filter!

I do most of the work on my bike (07 FXD) and have never really thought about the fuel filter as it is inside the tank. Well I decided to change it out and glad I did. I don't know how the bike kept running. The old filter was so clogged up you could not even get air through this thing! I have a little more than 30,000 miles on the bike but will be changing the fuel filter more often for sure. Just thought some of you might be interested.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:00 PM
Shovelhed
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed mine yearly, but it was on the fuel line of my '82 flh. Almost forgot about this since I don't see it on my SB.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:59 PM
jaysbobber
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it attached to the petcock? Or should I say where the fuel line attaces to the tank?

Old 08-26-2011, 08:06 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by zoopman
I do most of the work on my bike (07 FXD) and have never really thought about the fuel filter as it is inside the tank. Well I decided to change it out and glad I did. I don't know how the bike kept running. The old filter was so clogged up you could not even get air through this thing! I have a little more than 30,000 miles on the bike but will be changing the fuel filter more often for sure. Just thought some of you might be interested.
Did the same thing with my first fuel filter. I actually thought my clutch was slipping before I figured it out.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:05 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

My fuel filter was fine at half your miles, but it sprung a leak in the line. Guess yours was set up right.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,998 Likes on 4,189 Posts

First sign of a FI Harley with a fuel filter being stopped up is it will have trouble idling since it affects the necessary pressure and the IAC valve will not be able to keep up. The fuel pump actual pumps in excess and has a bleed valve in the tank system which some people mistake for a broken line. Since most modern gas pumps have filters it's just my opinion but I would not worry about it unless you have a need to go into tank. May not be on the really new Harleys but my 04 maintains same pressure for all rpm ranges. Idle will be first to go

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-26-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:41 PM
zoopman
Road Master

Originally Posted by grf000
First sign of a FI Harley with a fuel filter being stopped up is it will have trouble idling since it affects the necessary pressure and the IAC valve will not be able to keep up. The fuel pump actual pumps in excess and has a bleed valve in the tank system which some people mistake for a broken line. Since most modern gas pumps have filters it's just my opinion but I would not worry about it unless you have a need to go into tank. May not be on the really new Harleys but my 04 maintains same pressure for all rpm ranges. Idle will be first to go
Sounds right...that is part of the reason I decided to change the fuel filter as I seemed to be having rough idle issues and the bike would sometimes just die on me now and then. Would be a good idea to also clean the IAC sensor at every oil change. My bike is running like it should now.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:59 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what is an AIC sensor ?

Old 08-27-2011, 04:44 AM
spaceblue
Tourer

It is a fuel injection part. Technically its is an electrically controlled variable orifice that allows air to bypass the closed throttle plate allowing the engine to run at idle.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:48 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

My Twin Cam's got 84k miles on her and I haven't changed it, yet. I'm gonna run it till it acts up.

Quick Reply: Don't forget to change fuel filter!