Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions wanted on recent Dyna forward controls

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 10:31 AM
dondee
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions wanted on recent Dyna forward controls

I have an '11 FXDC and the mid controls are making me crazy. I'm currently rocking the Kury wide Iso pegs with stirrups to the rear, but I find myself constantly looking down to see where my boot is on the controls-especially on the right side. I've done the changes trying to make it more like a floorboard which I'm used to and love on my '03 Fatboy, but I'm not feeling the love.

I'm 5-11 so not short really but the position of the factory Dyna forwards just feels too far out for me. I've sat on 'em in showrooms and they just feel too far out for good control. But of course nothing exists that I know of that would put floorboards in that position like on the Fatboy, sort of in between mids and forwards.

So I guess the question is, did anyone else in my height range feel a little out of control with factory Dyna forwards and then get more used to it?

Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:13 AM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member

how about trying some adjustable hiway pegs instead?

Old 08-24-2011, 11:25 AM
craig11dyna
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 5'11" and 32" inseam and I too at first thought they were to far forward but once you get used to them they were much more comfortable for me than the mid mount. When starting off I kept trying trying to find the mid mount pedals that were not there. Only took about a week to get used to them and now would not ever go back to mid controls.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:46 PM
dondee
Tourer

Originally Posted by craig11dyna
I am 5'11" and 32" inseam and I too at first thought they were to far forward but once you get used to them they were much more comfortable for me than the mid mount. When starting off I kept trying trying to find the mid mount pedals that were not there. Only took about a week to get used to them and now would not ever go back to mid controls.
Yeah same height but my inseam's only 29-30". Don't know how much difference that makes.

What I'm finding out, if this makes any sense, is that the main part of the frame from the swingarm pivot to the steering head seems to be a lot longer than my Fatboy and it seems even longer than dressers I've had in the past. I even had to put slight pullback risers on as well as a Mustang seat to keep from craning when grabbing the bars.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:57 PM
RRose13886
Cruiser

I have a 2010 FXDF with the forward controls. Not sure of the demension difference from my bike to yours. But, I'm only 5'8" and a 30" inseam. I love the forward controls and never feel like I'm not in control. Actually sometimes when I'm cruising at a good speed for a stretch ( I live in Long Island) I feel like I'd like them to be forward another inch or two. I have had bikes with the mids. But the forwards are much much better.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:13 PM
spaceblue
Tourer

Hey Don.
I'm 5'11" and went with the Kuryakan extended forwards on their web site recommendations. At first this set up killed me after a ride anywhere around 2 hours or more. Constant leg cramps in the back of my upper thighs. Then I added heel rests and that completely change things for the better. For a while I even kept the mids for a second option but ditched them cause I kept hitting them at stops or when backing up.

Attached Thumbnails Opinions wanted on recent Dyna forward controls-dsc_0671.jpg  
Old 08-24-2011, 08:32 PM
Nat_Asp_Mike
Cruiser

The now have a Reduced Reach Forward Control Kit for Dyna. 1" closer.
Here's the long *** link.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Hope that helps
Mike

Old 08-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Nat_Asp_Mike
Cruiser

Or part #50700008

Old 08-24-2011, 09:04 PM
RichardH
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I never feel out of control with the Harley forward controls on my 2011 FXDC but who cares? Its what you feel. If you do feel uncomfortable don't do it. I purchased a 2011 FXDC in June. I couldn't ride the bike comfortably with the mid controls so the dealer installed the Harley forward controls for me (49080-06A). I am a little under 6'2". This is the most comfortable setup I have experienced since owning a 2000 Deuce (gone), 2007 Road King (gone) and 2009 Electra Glide Classic (have). I prefer the Harley Dyna forwards over my Electra Glide floor boards as far as positioning goes. The rubber isolation floor boards of course vibrate less. Plus it is nicer being able to rest the entire foot on a floor board but you can purchase the mini floor board kit that Harley just came out with. Some guys mentioned that their feet get blown by the wind with the forwards but I never experienced this. Harley also sells reduced reach forward controls.

I purchased the forward control kit 49080-06A, Chrome $369.95.

50700008 - Reduced reach kit. About an inch shorter than 49080-06A but for some silly reason they cost more. $399.95. Keep inmind that the Online Harley dealers are 20% off MSRP. Hale's Harley, Zanotti Harley, Chicago Harley are a few. Hales also has 20% off on Kuryakin parts. I just ordered a TTS Mastertune 2 bike kit at 20% off because they are in the Kuryakin catalog ($499.99 for 2 bikes). MSRP is $625 for two bikes.

Last week I installed the mini floor board kit. Love em. 50451-09.
It uses the existing foot peg mounts.

I know what you mean by looking down at the brake or shifter pegs. I did that to but you get use to it. You don't want to get into that habit. Keep your eyes on the freakin road. Unless, of course she's 5"8", blond and blue eyed in a mini.

Originally Posted by dondee
I have an '11 FXDC and the mid controls are making me crazy. I'm currently rocking the Kury wide Iso pegs with stirrups to the rear, but I find myself constantly looking down to see where my boot is on the controls-especially on the right side. I've done the changes trying to make it more like a floorboard which I'm used to and love on my '03 Fatboy, but I'm not feeling the love.

I'm 5-11 so not short really but the position of the factory Dyna forwards just feels too far out for me. I've sat on 'em in showrooms and they just feel too far out for good control. But of course nothing exists that I know of that would put floorboards in that position like on the Fatboy, sort of in between mids and forwards.

So I guess the question is, did anyone else in my height range feel a little out of control with factory Dyna forwards and then get more used to it?

Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:50 PM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can also buy adjustable mini-floorboards like J&P Cycles #5500095. They will extend back a lot further and give your feet an easier target to find. They also rotate to fit whatever angle your feet are most comfortable with. Mine are from J.C. Whitney, but they are the same as far I can tell, part #CCT010306.

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted on recent Dyna forward controls